Switching to behind-the-ear hearing aids?

I have worn in the ear hearing aids for 15+ years and I was wondering about behind the ear.

• Are there more features in behind the ear?
  • Less infections, minor swelling or ear wax?
  • Do people get used to them easily? I don’t mind people see I wear hearing aids but wondered about comfort, etc.
  • If you switched, what do you think?

Thanks!

1 Like

I have been wearing hearing aids for just over 15 years, and all but about 4 years have been ITE hearing aids. But from 2010 to 2014 I wore receiver in the ear aids. I personally had issues with moisture with them more than with ITE ear hearing aids. Now I have to say my ITE ear aids have always been half shell or a little bigger aids, and not completely in the ear canal.
My issues were not with comfort or hearing issues but I believe just the fact that the aids I had were not meant for someone that is as active as I was and that I am. I sweat a lot and I hike, walk, and work in the yard a lot. Now I am looking at possibility getting the true BTE hearing aids this next time too. I do not have ear wax issues, but I do have allergies and cannot wear soft ear molds, or domes. For me the big added feature would be t-coils for use at our church services, if we are ever allowed to have them again. And also, movie theaters. The aids I have now have everything else built in.
To answer your question will you get use to them? My answer is this i get use to what ever I need to get use to. And I really want people to see my aids, I do point out the fact that I wear aids to people all the time. For me it is so I can make them understand they have to talk straight to me if they want me to understand them.

2 Likes

My audi always said about them, you get the biggest bang for the buck. Obviously the larger the aid the more things the aid is able to handle. Although the bte is a lot smaller and thinner then they used to be. As far as wax is concerned, anytime you push anything into your ear there’s a possibility of wax buildup in your ear and in the tubing. Keep the tubes clean and you should be okay. I would think bte would be less problematic than aids that go in the ear because the aid remains outside the body and is less subject to moisture and wax. Some people might bring up rain but I’ve never had a problem with that and you can always take them off if you’re worried. And the last factor is can they be seen. I’m amazed how many people don’t notice them. But if they do its probably to my benefit because my hearing stinks so it’s probably better they see them and realize I have a problem instead of thinking I’m an idiot. Although I’ve run into situations where both occur.

2 Likes

One other thing although this is kind of old. It used to be a problem if the aid was too fat. I don’t have a lot of room behind my ear so it would eventually cause severe pain. Those days seem to be over and I can wear almost any power aid along with glasses although the glasses are wire rimmed . I don’t know what would happen if I wore thicker framed glasses that are in style right now.

2 Likes

I have not found that to be true with ITE half shells vs Reciever in the ear aids. I have had much better luck with my ITE half shell aids.

1 Like

I am gave my answer based on my own personal experience. I’m not here to debate. If your experience has been different, wonderful

1 Like

No arguement just my experiences too. And I am not know to be gentle to my aids. I hike, ride a motorcycle, and do yard work, and I am a very heavy sweater.

I welcome different viewpoints, especially if they are accompanied by reasons. Then I can compare my needs and your experience.
Thank you to all that have responded so far.

1 Like

All I can tell you is that when I wore ite aids things went wrong. Not a lot but some things happened. I never had to send back an ite aid even after hiking or yard work. But I guess anything is possible

we are all different, and have different likes dislikes and issues with different things, that doesn’t make any of us right or wrong, it is just what it is. It is just like hearing aids two people can have the same hearing loss, and cannot wear the same hearing aids, due to personally differences in environments they live in an the things they are use to hearing. That is just life of us humans.

1 Like

I went to bte because ite aids were no longer powerful enough. I know a lot of people dread wearing hearing aids altogether because they fear being perceived as handicap or old. So when the idea of bte aids are presented the thought can be horrifying. Back when I switched over bte aids could provide much more as far as options than an ite aid could. That’s changed over time avd now bte hearing aids are seen more for those with a severe to profound loss. The ite aids can’t handle that kind of power. But realistically the op shouldn’t worry to much about the differences and should focus more on what he needs and which aids will fulfill those needs. There really no point in debating which is better

1 Like

I agree it is what is right for the person, and what is right for you may not be right for me. We all are very different.

been with behind the ear since forever (I was born this way)
overall it’s great except for the wax part ROFL!!! but I do try to keep things working so this is easy for me to operate and maintain

I have only had BTE and wouldn’t want anything else. I like big, powerful and visible. I don’t like the trend toward making everything smaller. The smaller ones are more difficult for my hands to work with and they seem less durable.
To each his/her own though.

Welcome to the forum
When asking about hearing aids it really helps us help you if we know your hearing loss. Sharing it would be beneficial.

The ITE, BTE and RIC aids each have purposes. Your hearing loss may tell you to go in a particular direction for best reslts.

ITE aids tend to be for hearing losses up to severe and maybe a little profound.
RiC aids are good with severe and some profound losses.
BTE aids will do all hearing losses including profound losses.

BTE aids have a reputation to be more robust and reliable. Many members report good results with all 3 types aids though. It really depends on your hearing loss.

1 Like

I’ve ony ever had BTE aids. Do ITE aids improve your ability to tell which direction a sound is coming from? I thought it should because they’re in your ear where the ear shape has an effect on the sound, not behind it like with BTEs, but I don’t know if it works like that.

This is just my feelings on this, I believe does, but then I have been mostly wearing ITE hearing aids, and I have only worn RITE aids for one pair of aids. I never were happy with the Rite aids I was allergic to the material that was used to make the domes. I never could get ear mold made because my hearing was quote “not bad enough for ear molds” and I could not make the Audi understand that the material was making me ears red and itchy.
With that said I have good as been told that my aids that I get this summer will be MiniRite aids and this time I will get hard ear molds. I am going to talking to my Audi about BTE aids but I have a feeling that I will get talked out of them.

1 Like

I have worn both BTE and ITE hearing aids and I prefer the ITE. Yes, BTE or RIC have gotten smaller but still are noticeable if you do not have hair covering them. The new technology they have added seems to make them bigger even the minis. I have worn ITE half shells for the past eight years and having been doing good with them. I have been wearing Resound Linx 3D ITE half shell for the past three years and have not had any issues with them in terms of moisture. The new aids are supposed to be better protected from moisture. Also, the sound(microphone) is received in my ear canal rather than BTE. If I switched to a RIC I would have to have a mold made due to my hearing loss. So I would have a piece BTE and a piece ITE with RIC, so I could just have it all ITE with the custom ITE. Of course there are other factors to consider…comfort, bells/whistles, dexterity,feedback issues. But at the end of the day if the custom ITE HA does the trick I prefer this over the RIC. As my hearing loss progresses I will need to switch to a RIC or BTE. But until then I will try to be fitted with a ITE, the type I am used too and seem to do well and with half shell no more noticeable then a RIC with a bald head(even though cosmetic appeal should not matter)

1 Like

My hearing is very close to being unfitable for ITE, but I am reading that the are have great look fitting severe and even some profound hearing loss with ITE aids. But I no longer care about the style of aids are even if they can be seen, I just want what ever it takes to give me the very best speech understanding that I can get. I do a lot of volunteer work with the VA. Some on the phones, but most in the person, if we get back to that point again, and also text. I deal with a lot of Veterans that are just getting hearing aids or having a hard time adapting to aids. I seem to be able to explain to them to be patient and allow themselves to adapt to the hearing aids, and I do a lot of interfacing between the Vets and the Audis. So call me names for passing information back to their Audis, but that was told to them up front. My job is to get the Veterans that get aids to really use them. I also, at times take suicide prevention calls, I am not sure I am cut out for that seeing I haven’t experienced war time battles like they have. I was very lucky that I say most of that stuff from a far distance, and never say combat. Even though my loss is due to jet engines. I did a lot of flying around the world in the cargo bays of jet cargo planes.

1 Like

cvkemp…It is great that you are helping Veterans. Yes it does take time to get use to a HA, even if you have been wearing HA, new ones take time to take used to. I am sure the Veterans are glad you are able to help them and using your experience with hearing loss to assist them. And what ever type of HA that provides the best speech comprehension in various environments is the important thing. Speaking of the Veterans, my late father was a Veteran and he wore HA. He jumped off the back of a military truck and hurt his head and his hearing went down hill. He wore the body style HA where you had to put the phone up to the receiver on the body. With wires that went up to the molds in the ear. Technology came along way since then. Your military service is appreciated.

1 Like