Surprised at silence from other Hearing Aid Manufacturers about ASHA

We are definitely off topic.

A buddy and I had a space for an elective class. Decided to go where the girls were. Either home economics or typing. Only one gal did faster than me in typing. My buddy was terrible, barely pasted.

120 WPM is almost not fathomable. WOW

1 Like

:smile: To help get back on topic, I remember that my 1950’s (!) typing class was quite noisy with all that clacking from 15 to 20 student typists hammering away. Maybe that’s part of why we’re all suffering hearing loss today!

3 Likes

Samsung S10/S10+ are now receiving Android 10 update on Verizon and AT&T networks. ASHA works for them, too (reportedly. Not 1st hand experience).
Samsung Note 10/10+ will start to receive the Android 10 update shortly.

Thanks! Curious where you saw it reported that they would support ASHA. I saw somebody ask on a Samsung forum with no response. I’ve seen complaints on a OnePlus forum that they didn’t support.

1 Like

Go here > https://forum.xda-developers.com/s10-plus/help/simple-beta-question-t3984793

2 Likes

Thanks. Looks like Samsung will be the only relatively early adopter of ASHA besides Google. No sign of it for OnePlus and Nokia.

1 Like

That is a good sign. Samsung is the leading supplier of smart phones in North America, behind Apple, but about 50% of the Android market.

Smartphones by NA Vendor

1 Like

I got this response from OticonUK (Facebook) on December 24, 2019:

Hi Geff,

Thank you for your interest. Oticon is in close collaboration with Google and will be able to offer direct streaming to Android phones in the near term. This way Oticon’s users will be able to enjoy the benefits of direct streaming to Android phones as the ASHA protocol becomes available in Android based smartphones. For now ASHA supported smartphones are limited to a few models globally.

Kind regards,
Anders, Oticon

Source: Oticon - Feedback is that annoying whistle or static noise... | Facebook

5 Likes

OK, being one of the ignorant on this forum, I have no idea what ASHA means, although this is the definition from Wikipedia: Asha is a Zoroastrian concept with a complex and highly nuanced range of meaning. It is commonly summarized in accord with its contextual implications of …

Hmm! Can’t see any connection with hearing aids or hearing in general…

I believe it stands for Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids. It brings the wireless capability of Made for iPhone hearing aids but using Android phones. The down side is that only the ReSound Linx
Quattro aids have it, and they only work with a couple of new Google Pixel phones with Android 10. I see some posts that Oticon and Samsung are also working on it.

2 Likes

Still nothing from Resound, but Cochlear has an ASHA compatibility list: Sound Processor and App Compatibility
Basically Pixel 3 and 4 plus Samsung 10, but as of yet Note 10 is not on the list. I’m guessing that’s just a matter of time (until it gets Android 10) or an oversight. Samsung 11 seems highly likely to be compatible.

I agree that this is at least part of the issue. I know someone who has exactly the same phone that I do; same operating system–everything. However, I have mine set to the Easy Home theme. He uses the default theme. There is such a stark difference in the appearance that they might as well be totally different phones.

1 Like

My Samsung Note 10+ received the Android 10 update 12/31. ASHA functionality now available. Unfortunately, my Signia Pure 7NX aren’t compatible with ASHA, and Signia has been silent on when/or if that will be integrated.

2 Likes

I think ASHA in aids will become the norm at some point, but it will probably be a long time before all the Android phones and all the hearing aids are capable.

The problem that I have with ASHA is that it leaves out connectivity with my Windows 10 computers. Wouldn’t it be the same for Apple computer users?

Quite likely not. Apple MFI does not work on MacBook with macOS for HAs either. AirPods work with iPhones / iPod, iPads, and MacBooks. MFI hearing aids only iPhone / iPod and iPad.

I use the TV streamer to connect with my Windows 10 computer and it works very well. You can find the TV streamer on Ebay for about $65 and it works for both my Resound and Cochlear N7 processor. GN Hearing A/S Resound Unite TV Streamer

In this instance; what does ASHA stand for?–Never mind, I just figured it out. Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids. (Duh).

1 Like

I bit too–then figured it out–then saw the post just below yours LOL!

@TraderGary You’re conflating the notions of proprietary and universality and you’re missing the notion of openness. All three implementations are proprietary, because they belong to their respective owners. I don’t think anyone will argue that MFi is not a proprietary implementation because it’s owned and licensed by Apple and to my knowledge, the specification isn’t available to the public, so it’s also closed. ASHA is somewhat different. It belongs to Google and it’s specific to Android, but it’s an open standard, not closed like MFi. Any Android licensee can implement it. Phonak’s Bluetooth Classic implementation is also based on an open standard, but the Bluetooth standards are the property of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group. The BT SIG will probably develop its own hearing aid standard, which may or may not supersede either or both of MFi and ASHA.

2 Likes