Suggestions for hearing aids other than Oticon More 1

Hello all… New to the forum, I’m from BC.

I’m trying a pair of Oticon More 1s, and, even though they have been great, I wonder if they are worth the price. One major issue is that they require an external mic/clip to use fully hands-free. Is this typical in the industry? Haven’t premium HAs got to the point where it can use the mic from the HAs instead of buying a massive clip you have to put on your shirt?

Can someone recommend some other HAs that I might look into that are comparable but more modern than the Oticon More 1s? I feel I’m paying this amount of money for HAs, they should be more feature-rich and have a better app with full hands-free calling… am I wrong?

1 Like

I thought Oticon More had a firmware update and you could use it hands free on both Android and iPhone?

Unless your phone is really old and then you might have this issue no matter what your Aids are!

If the More won’t work with Android then your only option might be Phonak Lumity for working with Android.

Looks like it’s iPhone 11 and up only.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @whatdidtheysay…… You do not have your audiogram up, which would provide a helpful insight, but in its absence, if “More 1’s” sound good, then have a look at Phonak aids, for sheer connectivity, without the need for any external interface devices…. Oticon make exceptional aids, as do the other top hearing aid manufacturers, but most may require another device? If price is an issue, then Costco do hearing aids, their Kirkland Signature (KS 10’s) are essentially rebranded Phonak Paradise 90’s and around 1400 USD for the pair, fully fitted with REM performed as standard:-) Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

@whatdidtheysay: The only “feature” I care about is whether or not I can hear with the damned things.

6 Likes

You can use the More’s truly hands free with an iPhone 11 or later. I advise against handsfree - the microphones on the hearing aids aren’t designed to focus on your own voice, and therefore clients often complain that their voices aren’t clearly transmitted to their conversation partners on the phone. You’re much better off using the mic on the phone to pick up your voice.

5 Likes

I have the Jabbra Pros from Costco and they connect with my iPhone 13 great. Steam phone calls, music. Totally hands free. Cost was probably half of what you paid.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the replies; they are all very helpful.

1. Louie - On streaming from HA mic issue: I figured the mic from the HA might be troublesome, so they recommend the SoundClip. I’m inquiring because my father has a pair of Costco HAs, and he takes my calls from them all the time, and it sounds great. I’ll have to talk to him some more. I use Android, and it doesn’t seem to use the mic from the Android because people can’t hear me unless I hold the phone up to my mouth. Zebras: I have a newer Android 21. I’ll look into the Phonak Lumity. DO you know how well the mic works on those for calls?

2. Spudgunner: I agree. It is most important that one can hear from the HAs. However, I always take calls from various sources and sometimes out in public. It would be nice not having to take the phone out of the pocket every time. For example, if I’m using AirPods, I can take the call handsfree on my run… that’s nice!

3. kevels55: Thank you for the warm welcome. I appreciate that a forum with a wealth of great information like this exists. I will get my audiogram up as soon as possible. What type of Phonak aids do you recommend? I am always in very challenging environments with echo, boardrooms, etc. What do you think about the Costco aids? Worth looking into? Cheers right back at you, sir!

4. LouisInTexas: Those are just Bluetooth earbuds, right? I have AirPods for that if I wanted.

Thanks very much all!

1 Like

@Louie You can use the More’s truly hands free with an iPhone 11 or later. I advise against handsfree.

To me, if the person at the other end cant hear me clearly, then I think they will speak more distinctly and make my life easier, as there is an “understanding” that the reception affects both ends of the conversation. So I consider this an advantage!

2 Likes

Here is my advice try all of the different aids, find the one that lets you hear the best.
For me while I need the connectivity, I don’t worry about what devices that aids connect to as my first priority, in fact is my last priority. I worry about being able to hear without having to touch my aids once I put them in my ears in the morning, and have the better chance of not even thinking about the fact I am wearing them the rest of the day. I can always get a phone to use with my aids, and if need be a device to hear the TV.
My point is simple hearing with my naked aids is my priority, everything else can be found and fitted in later. You will never be satisfied if you go in with a massive wishlist. The only thing that needs to be on the wishlist is being able to hear the very best possible for you hearing loss with use just the aids and the default program. Why am I saying this. Because my first 3 sets of aids had one the default program, no controls on the aids, and no connectivity. I couldn’t even adjust the volume. I learned that this is the ideal way to have my hearing aids set up.

5 Likes

Agree with those who suggest trying a variety of aids.

I recently got the Signia Ax7 aids. I like them a lot! Signia rarely gets mentioned here, so I thought I’d toss the name out.

6 Likes

You are very welcome @whatdidtheysay :grin: Without your audiogram it would be a blind choice… I have worn Oticon over my hearing aid years (30+) and some other hearing aid manufacturers, but I always seem to revert back to Phonak, and they have been my weapon of choice for approximately 10 years, perhaps I just like the sound? In conjunction with their innovative technology, they always try to be ahead of the curve…. Oticon are brilliant aids, as are many other hearing aid manufacturers, so basically it all comes down to personal preferences or what is important to you, and only you will know that… As Chuck says @cvkemp trial a few, if money is an issue, try Costco, they are rebranded top of the range aids, at a knockdown price, so you won’t find better value (new)! But, for sheer connectivity, then Phonak are hard to beat, but at a premium price, their ALD’s (Assistive Listening Devices) Roger On, Roger Select, Roger Touchscreen, Roger Pen (I have all of these) but prices new are eye watering, they are expensive! But they are also state of the art technology…. But not only that, to connect to these devices, you need to buy, 2 Roger X receivers with appropriate licenses for the privilege, unless you buy Roger “In” devices, then the price approximately doubles for each ALD! If you buy into the Phonak system, be prepared to have deep pockets, or like me, I shop around on eBay, and pick up some real bargains on the Roger system…. Good luck on your quest, cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

This is great information @wiclifmcc, @cvkemp, @jeffrey and @kevels55 , thank you so much.

I’m going to do some research on the weekend based on this information.

2 Likes

Totally agree… the same applies to audio from my computer. The ConnectClip is cumbersome & expensive. The same could be achieved for the computer with a simple USB Dongle. (NOT the Sennheiser D800 which merely connects to the ConnectClip).
The bottleneck is the Bluetooth 5.2 LE used by the oticons. this start is only now being used in computers.
As for being expensive… I paid less for my Car!

1 Like

Having used large around the neck streamers before the Connect clip I find it small and easy to use and can even be placed in my shirt pocket out of sight out of mine. Expense is relative to how much you use it and need to use it. Since realizing I no longer need a laptop or computer, I also no longer need the connect clip. My aids connect easily to my iPhone and iPad.

1 Like

@bobmuk are you saying we can use other Bluetooth mics with the HAs?

Not that I now of. All I know of is the iPhone mic, and the connect clip and EduMic. Maybe it will work with the microphone in a supported android phone.

1 Like

I agree with hearing well is job #1. Many aids fail right there. Also, we HOH folks need the best audio we can get from end-to-end, so if the caller has horrible mic audio I will sometimes request they change their setup (for instance a lousy Bluetooth headset or whatnot). The reason I mention this, is that although hands-free is great, spare a thought for the person on the other end. I’d love to know what the best hands-free experiences are for the regular hearing folks, regarding the quality of the mics.

2 Likes

absolutely not… That’s the problem!.. instead of building in the current LE codec used by High-end headphones they’re using a special (medical?) codec on Bluetooth 5.2 LE with made for iPhone. presumably for less interfearance.
ConnectClip has several functions one of which is an interface with the more common Bluetooth codecs for audio in computers. to link to your HA’s via your phone. this has the disadvantage of a noticeable lip-sync/delay in speech while watching a video from a computer. If you are a heavy computer user this is a big drain on battery life. I typically spend 6+ hrs a day working on my computer.
I have had my more 1’s for 6 months now, they are very good for the main thing & I use mainly prog 1, music (P2 in my setup) & the tinnitus prog 4 my P3 is 'speech in noise which for me is too harsh & virtually useless. However, the Ai function seems to have learnt & adapted to the main environments I find myself in.
do I regret buying my More 1’s ? definitely not!
I have a ConnectClip & the Jury is out on that. I would have preferred a USB dongle to talk to the phone/Ha’s… If you could find out exactly what frequency & codec they are using it would probably be possible to find one that does the job for about £10… but Oticon are very coy about these details as there is no profit in a £10 dongle for them …but there is in a ConnectClip.
There are now a plethora of ‘Hearing devices’ made by the likes of Jabra & Bose that border on HA performance but without the ability to tune to your hearing prescription as I understand it.
I think the likes of Oticon are going to up their game on device connectivity & quickly too. otherwise, they will loose customers.
I think the most likely avenue will be to build something into the ‘ON’ app to bridge that gap, utilising the new phones capabilities in these areaS.

1 Like

Don’t think this correct, they can’t “think” for themselves, there’s no way for your more’s to “learn” it’s all preprocessing, as in pre programmed for any given situations, AI is a bit of a “oxymoron” it’s thrown around like it’s some kind of cyborg!

It’s 2.404 GHz to 2.476 GHz RF, but also uses Bluetooth 4.2 LE at 2.402 GHz to 2.480 GHz

I believe you can “tune” to your hearing loss using an app or the manufacturer software.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I have worn Phonak Marvels for over 3 years. I have severe/profound hearing loss. I have an Android phone. I originally looked at Phonak because they were made with Android in mind-- and totally hands-free phone calls. The bonus was superior hearing quality. I was amazed at the difference between them and my Siemens (now Signia). When I was making my decision, I was given a pair of Oticon’s to test. They did not work for me, so I went with the Phonak Marvels.

I am now looking to upgrade, and am interested in the new Phonak Lumity. I am again testing a pair of Oticon (OPN S1) just to compare before I make my decision. Maybe it’s just me, but the sound quality isn’t natural compared to my Phonaks. It’s like listening to a transistor radio versus a Bose sound system. Plus, I am having trouble hearing even the most basic speech in quiet environments, speech that I would be able to hear with my current pair of Phonaks.

That being said, I am going with the Phonaks. Since your question is about phone calls, I’ll address it more specifically. I have never had a problem with the Phonaks and phone calls. Personally, I like being able to answer my phone at the touch of a button on my aid, totally hands free, and not having to dig my phone out of my pocket or purse. I have never had a problem with anyone on the other end not being able to hear me.

It would be great if you could get a pair of Phonaks to test. I realize that they won’t work for everyone, but you should have the opportunity to compare, especially since hearing aids are a major investment and such an important part of our lives.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes