Suggestion wireless Closed Caption telephone

For years I’ve had a land line connected CapTel phone with closed caption. Using phone line and internet combo. I’ve been pleased with CapTel phone performance and acceptable of slight delay with CC print out. What I’m not happy with is the cost of paying a monthly phone line fee to maintain Captel service.

I know there are a few CC phones for the severely hard of hearing or deaf on market that do not require a phone line connection. I assume they run off WiFi connection or Bluetooth, And I’m talking a desk mounted CC phone with decent size print out screen. In the past I’ve worried these wireless connection phones are not as dependable as phones (like CapTel) that have use dedicated landline connection.

Anyone have a Closed Captioned phone with no phone line that has the following:

Good voice connection incoming and outgoing when using
No delay in CC or slight delay
All CC done by software transfer versus human operator
Easy operation and dependability

I’d really like to say good bye to monthly landline costs since I only have it for Captel phone. On the other hand I’d hate to switch to a different CC phone provider (with no landline) and have service drop off a cliff. Like weak connection, weak or reduced voice volume, significant CC display lag, etc.

Appreciate any comments.

Must be some users here of Captel or other land line closed caption stationary desk phones. Also assume there must be users here who don’t like paying Verizon or Comcast a monthly fee just for phone line hook up so they get closed caption read out.

Maybe anything else offered (without land line) is too new to compare or current technology just do the job. With the big push towards streaming TV, you would think some of the big players would also offer closed caption phone connections with out a old - outdated phone line addition.

Isn’t that how they make most of their money?

I only have a landline, no cell phone.

In a power failure, I still have phone service. With a cell phone, you run into issues with the power out and so the cell phone can’t be charged, and / or your base unit needs power to work at all.

Just something to keep in mind.

My 99 year old as unt has a land line via cable provider.
No power equals no service.
Generally in this area cell phones still have power when the power goes out.
As always it’s relevant to your area.
Do you have an old copper line phone ?

Phonak offers a unlimited caption service for cell phone connected to phonak hearing aids. Its 30 bucks a month. Its not real time and just a few second delay l think. I haven’t tried it yet.

I have a Pixel 6a.
Talking on the phone the other day and it just started captioning the call.
I haven’t talked to anyone since so I’m waiting to see if it does it again on the next call.

I use Innocaptions.
I use the ASR feature ( Automated speech recognition ). I like it.
They also have a desk view feature that allows you to make your calls using your computer.
Before I found Innocaptions, I had ceased making or receiving any phone calls.
Now I can make my own phone calls. Works for me.

2 Likes

I have used the Captel phone with an adapter for VoIP. It still needs a physical port to plug in to, which the adapter provides, plugging in to your PC. Don’t know whether that helps in your situation.

For me, I abandoned the setup because I needed hands-free operation and the handset was awkward for me.

High end Android phones have Live Captions and this includes auto-generated captions during phone calls (since Android 11 I think but earlier Pixels have them too). I used to dread and avoid phone calls but recently was able to speak to a customer service agent for 45 mins. My sense of dread and avoidance now is purely from the past conditioning! I don’t usually splash on high end phones but bought the Samsung S22 with their trade-in programme.

There is even an option on Pixel phones to answer voice calls via text, the app then transcribes the message to the person at the other end!

Oops, just noticed the last post was a couple of months ago … anyways, hope it is of help to someone.