Sudden Sound Problem with my Costco Rexton Bicore R Li

@Filberto That definitely sounds like a problem with that one hearing aid. You should be able to do a rapid swap for a brand new one ~ 1 week. They did that for me when trying to diagnose my issue. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @Reginald. As I mentioned, it is the “Microphone Management” i.e. the main BiCore Processing feature of the BiCores, which turned out to be the issue. If this is engaged, all programs and even Automatic with the 360 degree listing (i.e. no beam formation) have the issue I have outlined.

With respect to your 1. I’ve noticed this. What setting in the fitting software sets the 80% back to 100%. I don’t seem to see it in Rexton Connexx.

Yes, I suspect this. I’ll prob get them to implement the Microphone Management change first and then make another follow up appointment.
I am generally happy with them.
@Reginald Thanks for your input and explanations.

Look around 03:30 mark, it’s this slider at the bottom. I would turn adaptive volume off too.
And there’s another settings tab (Configuration > Hearing Aid) where you can increase volume steps. It affects streaming too and you can adjust volume much more finely.
[but don’t listen to what he has to say about setting up the Equalizer, it’s completely wrong]

Also, it’s worth noting that some of the settings in the phone app affect the sound of streaming, Sound Balace is one of them [and I like to lower the trebles], and other one is the Directional Hearing setting tab, which can really mess up streaming [I’m not sure if they finally fixed this or not] So my advice is to have separate profile for streaming, based of musician one, with directionality totally off.

2 Likes

@Filberto @Member204 I don’t actually get what you guys mean by “Microphone Management” is it some setting? Rexton’s Connexx has some of the names changed and I’m not familiar with all of them.

It’s under “Fine Tuning” “Noise Reduction/Microphone” see attached pics

When microphone management is clicked, it changes the BCP button from grey to green. BCP stands for BiCore processing (i.e. some sort of special communication between the two HAs). It probably particular to the BiCore HAs

Is it an older Connexx? I don’t remember it looking like this.
Interesting, it looks like they moved some stuff around for Rexxton

I have to say that Rexxton’s version of this page looks like shit

This is how it looks in Signia’s, much easier to understand IMHO

You just pointed out the difference in pricing scheme between the rexton version vs the signia version. Rexton has the same level of hardware but not the same level of refinement in controls in the fitting software

It’s more than that, Rexxton’s Connexx is an obvious reskin of Signia’s Connexx and really bad at that, colors are the most obvious tell. Gray text on gray, black on gray, etc. These are very common errors when going from bright interface to dark. And some stuff was done just for the sake of differentiation surely. Ugly
This page is an exception too, rest is functionally more or less the same [with some small but truly idiotic changes].
I wonder is someone tried to fit Rexxton’s devices with Signia’s Connexx, if it’s possible even.
@tenkan do you have some knowledge on the matter?

I feel a bit like I’m hijacking the post.
It refers to a post on Mar 5 and Mar 22 further up.
iPhone does not give a default option to create your own EQ and the Signia software is different to Rexton.
After your comment re bluetooth and mic volume it got me thinking, I have since disabled bluetooth on my phone and issue seems to have gone. Bu5 I need more scenarios to try it.

It might look different on the outside, but functionally it is not, I just went through them both side by side. They just renamed stuff and moved things around, plus changed some imagery, in most cases for the worse.

PLUS, their phone apps are nearly identical, more than that, they left hidden debug settings in, so it’s possible to see what they’re doing under the hood. And they’re doing the same stuff.

3 Likes

Actually one would be forgiven for thinking of a possibility, but no you cannot interchange them, but your right, the Rexton flavoured Connexx is poorly done, they could of spent more time/effort!

2 Likes

Thanks @Member204 I am in GTA so wont work for me.

Hey Everyone,
I had a quick demo for Rexton Reach & Philips <EDIT_DELETE 9020> 9040 @ costco last weekend.
They were demo sets that was calibrated with some quick settings so that I could try in the store for 10 mins each.
To be surprise, the background noise was too loud for rexton reach. I tried communicating with some people in store but the conversation quickly drowned in the noise of the carts.
With Philips the background noise was adequately suppressed and I was hearing very well . I spoke to the admins for 10 mins and was quite happy with the quality.
The Audi was equally surprised at my observations.

I would really like to make an informed decision here. Does someone has insight or similar experience and How to overcome this,
I have booked another slot for demo with them and was hoping to go out with some suggestions.

thanks

Did you want to say Philips 9050 or 9040 instead of 9020

Yes thanks It was a typo I think it was Philips 9040

I did update to the Motorola Moto G 5G 2023 - its Bluetooth is version 5.1.
The Rexton App will connect, provide the volume, tone and directional controls.
But, it has Zero bluetooth audio streaming and zero Phone connection.
The Rexton support FINALLY responded. But, they don’t read the inquiry, just send back a very standard - how to connect. Doesn’t work at all.

I am not going back with Rexton. Can change a Moto phone easier at this point. But, reviewing my AARP United health care - the so called “deals” there so far are not deals at all even after the co-pay is applied.

Will look at this blog more - just really like the specs for Bluetooth 5.X over 4.X
Amazing how many specifications sheets for hearing aids don’t discuss the bluetooth version.
Thanks everyone for responding and valued experience!

That’s Motorola’s fault for not supporting ASHA properly.

1 Like