Streaming music quality

I currently have Resound Linx2-9. I am soon to replace them. When i stream music to them from my iPhone the sound quality is poor. Any of the new models have good streaming sound quality? Thanks.

I use Starkey Livio AI Edge they have good streaming. The marvels also have good streaming. Most makes are great streaming. Music that is different and depends on your hearing loss. The important thing is to get a set of hearing aids that allow you to hear best. Good luck.

2 Likes

You will get decent midrange and highs, but no bass by streaming.
The only way to really enjoy music with HA’s (IMHO), is with decent over the ear headphones, and a dedicated music program on your HA’s.
If you’re ok with lack of low frequencies, than as hearingaiduser2020 stated Starkey/Phonak/Oticon all sound reasonable.

2 Likes

I have ReSound Linx Quattro 9 with standard earbuds.
The sound - “not bad”.
But somehow I accidentally noticed that if I cover the earbuds with my fingers, the sound becomes super AMAZING!
I suddenly hear a lot of new small audio details.
I will be receiving custom acrylic earbuds soon, which should solve the problem of “volatilization” of sounds.
So earbuds also have a huge impact on sound.
p.s. translated by google)

1 Like

https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B003H4T0YS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1DchFb9PP37R0

I bought myself these for when I’m outside (I have open domes), but it also helps when I’m inside. These are hearing protectors but they don’t go into the ear canal.

Since I definitely don’t need that for normal use case, and I have to have open fit, changing domes isn’t feasible plus HAs fitting isn’t proper one when you change domes.

But this little sponges which sit in ear but not in canal, really add that little boost for some situations. I wear RIC aids with domes, if you have mold maybe it would help only if you manage to aim for vent only.

1 Like

I am impressed that I am not satisfied with the audio streaming to Linx2 - 9, since it was the best streaming I had, tied with my current device, OPN 1, by Oticon.
I would think that maybe it was the iPhone model used or the iOS version.

But since it will change devices, if I were you, I would go with one that supports direct streaming not only with iPhones, but also with Android. And then we will have the Lívio line from Starkey, the Marvels from Phonak and Quattro from Resound. The Moxi Fit line, on Unitron’s new Discover Next platform, is also an option. Good luck with your choice.

1 Like

The best sound quality I’ve come across is with my marvel naidas. I tried both the resound and oticon hearing aids for profound loss but they both sounded garbled to me. But I’ve said it a thousand times. What I’m hearing and what someone else might be hearing could be night and day. You should try different aids and decide yourself what sounds best to you

1 Like

Music streaming is a bit of a personal choice but for me I am what you would call a bit of a sound quality snob, being an ex-musician… to which my wife tells me is the source of my hearing issues… but I digress. I have the exact same aids you do OP and the issue here is they are MFI, so when you try and stream music they switch automagically to phone settings which are fine for voice calls but horrible for music. I tried everything I know to get that changed, or even change the iPhone settings to be more music friendly but no luck. I also have a pair of Phonak M90s and they are regular Bluetooth connectivity so they sound a lot better with music for that reason. even though both of them are custom molded ITE versions the 90s are a good bit larger so I prefer wearing the Resounds.

So after a ton of playing around I downloaded Smartfit and got a Noahlink from ebay. That way I could create a custom profile called music where I started with the base music program and tweaked it from there. with the Noalink I could put my Bose headphones on and play some music while I made adjustment’s and I just kept trying different settings until I go what I wanted sound wise using headphones. Now it sounds fantastic with my aids in and still able to use noise cancelling headphones.

3 Likes

The HA receivers are a marvel for doing what they do and being so tiny, but they don’t and can’t reproduce anything below around 100 hertz. You have to get that either through an open fitting (like tulips) or through bone conduction. In either case that means cupped headphones or listening through speakers. Streaming is fine for media, but music loses the bottom end and that can definitely be a deal breaker. I know it is for me. I’m a bass player, so most of what I’m listening for is below the 100 hertz threshold.

1 Like

That was my post about a week ago.
People seem to expect more than the HA’s can possibly deliver.

If you wear RIC aids, which receivers are you using?
I understand the more powerful receivers tend to give the best streaming results.

I have the 85 (mid-power )receivers, but there is still the limitation of 100 hertz for the frequency response in any hearing aid.
If you want decent bass, you really need good speakers or headphones with your HA’s music program enabled.

jsemberger: This post was super-helpful! Could you explain a bit about Smartfit about Noahlink? I looked up Smartfit and realize it is a Resounds program. Do you know if there’s anything comparable for PhoneAk? That’s what I’ve got, and have found streaming music has an intensity that is almost piercing even when I’ve turned the volume down (even though, strangely, the problem doesn’t appear on the surface to be an excess of treble, so I can’t explain it). And although PhoneAk allows all sorts of relatively precise adjustments for lots of situations, when you’re streaming you get to control volume only. (There’s something called “ambience balance” that is essentially another volume control).
This frustrated music lover would be all ears for any help you can provide.
Thanks!

SmartFit is ReSounds programming software and yes there’s one for Phonak called target, the Noahlink wireless is a programming interface which is needed to program your HAs.
Go the DIY forum and check out what’s going on there.