Stopping occlusion...yes it CAN be done; I did it

I am now into my 2nd year of wearing HA’s. I recently got new molds made for my BTE’s and insisted that they be made deep with full contact with the bone area. According to the fitter, they were within about 2mm from the eardrum. With the approval of the fitter, I have been sanding down the silicone end part of the canal mold that is closest to the ear drum so as to stop the pain from having too much contact in the canal bone area. I was trained as a toolmaker so I am able to sand down with precision; I use a dremmel hand grinder with a drum sander. The result is I now have comfortable and occlusion free hearing aids. Your questions will include: why not use open ear fitting? Because I need the protection from loud noises that an occluded mold provides. So occlusion free molds CAN be made. The style of mold that I have is a semi skeleton flex canal with SAV ( I use a pressure vent or solid plug), the helix lock is large and well made. The other features included no more popping noises when I walk, they don’t move at all during the day. The trick is getting them in without causing bruising inside the canal so they must be put in really slowly and very carefully and use a lubricant. When the impressions were taken I did NOT hit the ceiling when the oto block reached the ear drum. Much to the suprise of the fitter.:smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I am too. My earmold’s canal is about 2mm lenght. So I am total free of occlusion. I am very happy. Occlusion is my problem since I started wearing hearing aids since 2000.

1 Like

Your dispenser must be either very skilled or very brave … there is NO way I would take such deep impressions!

A bit of both English dispenser :)… My recent experiences with the otolens have surprised me regarding the joy of deep impressions

after a few week used long canal mold with only a litter occlusion, I felt hurt in my ear. So I return to Full Shell earmold with regular canal lenght and accept living with some occlussion.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised also Steve. Of course, the benefit of working in an ENT office is use of the micrscopes and numbing spray. This has helped with squirmy pts :slight_smile:

What I’ve been most surprised with is pts who are sensitive when taking the impression, and thinking that a deep fitting aid or earmold maybe not be a wise choice - how will they handle it when the aid or earmold is in and sitting deeply. But they have done beautifully so far…and when battling occlusion, it’s bar none.

dr. amy