Still getting echo

Trying my 1st HAs, phonak versatas, for my mild/mod loss (reverse cookie bite). OFten sound good but conversations with others have an echo–the closer I stand to the other person, or to a wall or other flat surface, the tinnier they sound. They audiologist says this is “normal” and means that the high frequencies are present. I am dubious. However, I really like him and think he’s smart.Any thoughts?

…been wearing these aids? If less than 2 months then stick with the current “program” and see if you adjust to it.

If you’re new to aids altogether, it can take 60-90 days before the sound becomes “normal” to you.

Hang in there - it can get better.

You mean it certainly get worse! If the very next day after wearing hearing aids, the new audiogram already looks slightly different, the hearing aids have to be reprogrammed quickly!

If it takes 60-90 days to become “normal”, this means the hearing loss is growing until it fits the hearing aids. And this is simply insane!

There is no such thing as a “normal” echo of a hearing aid. Not even in the very first day.

I think you are way off base. The adjustment period is real and is NOT the hearing loss getting worse to match the aids. The hearing loss itself is not changing or being affected by the aids. It DOES take the brain a while to get accustomed to the new sounds it is hearing. I believe the “echo” the OP is posting about is his hearing new sounds, the highs that he has not heard in a good while. I experienced the same, and it does take getting used to. I prefer the lower bass sound myself, as do many people obviously if you look at the world around you with super sub-woofers, booming car stereos, stereo ear buds and headsets that brag about their deep bass sound. The high tones will sound tinny and like echos to a world of bass lovers. They are not damaging nor incorrect though, they are real. And they do take getting used to, no question. The hearing is not getting further damaged by the use of hearing aids, get that thought out of your mind. It does take time to get comfortable to hearing all these new sounds whether they are high pitched or not, they are there and they are not unnatural.

The brain really needs some time to get accustomed, you’re right. But this is needed to learn the meaning of the sounds. The same way as when you ask somebody to repeat what he said, because you are not accustomed with his voice. But a new voice has no echo at all, you just don’t understand what it said.

The echo is off-limits. New sounds are new sounds and echo is echo. Totally different. You may listen to a radio station in Portuguese, you don’t understand what it says, but is has no echo at all. But if it is too loud, you will experience the sensation of an echo. Even in English, not only in Portuguese.

For a hearing aid with volume control, it’s easy to reduce the volume and you will “see” the echo disappearing. You will not understand as clear as before what you hear (because the volume control reduces all the frequencies) but the echo will disappear.

Oh, really? This idea is brand new for the physics of sound. An echo is a delayed sound. A high-frequency sound has no reason to be delayed, compared with the low-frequency sound.

For an audiologist, a simple experiment is easy to be made: for the same patient, s(he) may fit another hearing aid, from another manufacturer, but starting from the same audiogram. And the patient will notice the difference, at least one of the hearing aids will have no echo. The ideal situation: both hearing aids have no echo.

Bottom line: when a hearing aid has an echo, some sounds (some frequencies at some input levels) are overamplified. For some hearing aids, a lower AGC threshold will be enough. For other hearing aids, more compression will help or overall gain needs to be reduced.

The thing is, I also experienced the “echo”. It was the only way I could think of to describe the sound, as that is what it appeared to be, or simulate. However, it is not a true echo, just the higher pitched sounds that are new to me. My audi was knowledgable enough to pick up on my description of an “echo”, and cut back on the treble a bit at the second fitting. At my third fitting, she increased it some, and it again sounded strange, but I knew this time what to expect. And yes, I find that they are fading, going away as I get used to them. And I believe that is assisted by a very good audi who knows what she is doing … another reason I like face to face audi’s as opposed to the online version. I shouldn’t say going away actually, I still hear them, but they are less and less of an echo and more and more of just treble sounds which I had never noticed in previous years.

But as for a hearing loss getting worse to accommodate the hearing aid … no way Jose. That is NOT going to happen. The brain will adjust, just as it gets lazy when you first get aids and it can relax instead of fighting to decipher the sounds you hear. When you take the aids out, you’d swear your hearing got worse. It didn’t, your brain just adjusted and got lazy, so to say.

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is really happening every day. Even with a perfectly fitted hearing aid, you are still losing hair cells. Because this is the purpose of the hearing aid: to make the sounds LOUDER. If the hearing aid makes the sounds TOO LOUD, you will lose hair cells even faster. That’s all.

I think that instead of an “echo” the high sounds may sound sharp, to a point of annoying. There should never be an actual echo. The aud can adjust the aids, also the brain will adjust also so that the sounds will not sound so loud to you. I don’t necessarily agree with lancaster. Although hearing aids may cause further loss of hair cells, if not adjusted properly, the fact that the sounds eventually don’t seem to be as loud as before is not necessarily because you are losing more hair cells. If that were the case then hearing aids would be nothing more then a fast road to deafness. True as people get older, for many, but not all, their hearing gets worse, but certainly not at the pace your are implying.

Basically, I agree with you. But we don’t know much about the pace we are losing our hearing. If somebody starts wearing hearing aids at 50, most probably his hearing will be OK for the rest of his life. But for somebody who had his first hearing aids 40 years ago, when he was 5 or 10 and he saw his hearing going away every year, there is an increased risk to spend the last 20 or 30 years of his life completely deaf.

According to one’s type of hearing loss, a hearing aid can be completely harmless for the wearer. Or it can be “nothing more then a fast road to deafness”, exactly what you said. Of course, hearing aids still provide a normal way of life for many years, even when they are a threat for the wearer’s hearing. But this threat exists and we better be carefull.

Or the person could just have a progressive type of hearing loss.

This is also true. One may become completely deaf, even if he is not wearing hearing aids at all.

Here is described a similar experience with hollow sound and echo:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hearing-Aids-3747/2009/1/hollow-sounding-aids.htm

“A hollow sound is one of the side effects of hearing instruments that need never be a problem. It’s like feed back; the only reason either one exists is due to improper prescriptions or inadequate programming. For one thing, the curve across the lows needs to be smoothed and brought down. The programmer needs to be able to see the actually output. Therein lays the problem. Fitters don’t have the necessary equipment to see what the actual output is”.

The funny thing about it is that I wwas looking at the Resound Azure’s that I am testing and they come with a filtration system called Echostop. It says that this effectively reduces room reverberations and echo. And no I do not know what room reverberations is.

Sounds similar to an echo

It is similar to an echo, but it is audible to everybody, not created by the hearing aid. If you clap your hands in an empty room, you will hear a tinny sound, some kind of a metallic note, right after the sound of clapping hands disappeared.