Sticky Zinc-Air batteries

Here’s a little trick I wanted to share with you all:

Everyone knows the zinc-air battery discharges quickly once untaped, right? Some of you may have tried using tape but it’s rather inconvenient and doesn’t work right 2nd time.

Blu-tack, however is perfect for the job. It can be used over and over and you probably have unlimited supply in the office supply cabinet. Since it’s sticky and gooey it makes a nice airtight seal when you poke the battery on it, flat end first.

I just carry a bit in my hearing aid case and poke the batteries into there when not in use. I’m not using my hearing aid much these days on my day job so the hearing aids are used only lightly. This way I see a huge difference in how long the batteries hang on. YMMV.

I don’t understand. Can someone translate for me what this means? I know this person is talking about making the batteries last longer because of exposure to the air, but that’s it… Poke the batteries? That is dangerous because of the acid inside batteries!

My hearing aid doesn’t have OFF-button so I have to take the batteries out anyways… Sticking them into sticky glop doesn’t take any extra effort and I get big boost in “shelf life”. Oh and they don’t bounce about in the case trying to escape on the floor when I open the case.

Here’s 1047 words:
img213.imageshack.us/img213/8753/blutack.jpg
(can’t make direct link)

Link here.

What Barleyman is saying is when he’s not using his HA’s, he takes the batteries out and covers the air holes with Blu tack so air can’t get in the battery and by doing this he extends the life of the batteries. You can do the same thing by saving the pull tab from the battery and re-using it, but he likes the Blu tack. He isn’t poking the battery just poking(putting) the battery into the Blu tack.

Does closing the air holes totally stop the chemical reaction?

Do you get an extra hour for each hour that you reseal the three holes?

anyone know?

We will soon find out. I’m just waiting for my batteries to poop out and then the big experiment can begin!

I would think that you’d continue to get some chemical reaction with the oxegen trapped inside the battery… I’d need to find an equation for the amount of O2 / measure of nickle and know how much room is in the battery to deduce anything further.

long story short, it may help a little. but you’ll have some loss to account for whats in the battery when the sticky tack is added.

You’re likely going to get something like 5min of working time for every hour you keep the battery sealed. In my experience 312 zinc-air batteries go flat in about 2-3 weeks even without use after they’re unsealed. So it depends if you use your HA a lot or a little. If you’re always wearing them then it’s not going to make a big difference.

Wikipedia and your freshman chem book.

This does’nt make sense. Perhaps you mean one hour of sealing is equal to 5 minutes of use?

Some 312’s have 180 mAh capacity, so. . .
Case 1: “312 zinc-air batteries go flat in about 2-3 weeks” [=180/500 hrs = equivalent to 0.4 mA drain]
Case 2: I’ve also heard 5 days [=180/120 hrs = equivalent to 1.5 mA drain]

These word problems are popping some neurons that I might need someday. :frowning:

Every hour the 312 cell is sealed saves you 0.4 mAh or 1.5 mAh. For an HA drawing 2 mA this is 0.4/2 = 0.2 hr[12 minutes] or 1.5/2 = 0.8 hr[48 minutes].

That’s the same thing, no? :smiley:

The reaction practically stops when you seal the battery, check the shelf life on unopened batteries. So if you keep it sealed for 10hr overnight you should get extra 1-2 hours of use out of the battery depending on how fast the self discharge is.

will there be a danger that when you remove the batteries from the blutack some blutack residue might remain in the battery when you use it?