Starkey Unveils Livio Edge AI Custom Rechargeable Hearing Aid

Dave’s coverage of the recent Starkey news:

Interesting but I would never want them in black. I would want them in the flesh color

I understand why the charger pads are on the outside but it looks weird (esp. for ppl who don’t like gold jewelry). Also, why does everything need to be “smart”? Why do I need a smart-phone, -fridge, -watch, -ring, -microwave, -home, -assistant, -vehicle, -doorlock, -garage door opener, -TV…Can’t I just have an X that is the best X that it can be? Everything doesn’t need to be an A-to-Z. Or rechargeable. I would rsther be without something medically necessary for twenty seconds while I seap batteries than 3.5 hours. There’s plenty of situations where 23 hours of life just isnt enough.

3 Likes

I would prefer charging the aids over night than have them go dead during the day while I am wearing them. My average day is about 13 hours of hearing aid use then the recharge at night works out great.

1 Like

Yeo, for most folks that’d be fine oribsbly, just kike a cell phone or a smartwatch. But what if you go road tripping or camping or take a long flight…I dunno. I hate rechargeable stuff. I like swap and go. I always had spares.

1 Like

most of the chargers now are all usb type chargers that can work with a battery backup. And Phonak Marvel charger has an option for a power back to piggy back with the charger for 7 days worth of charging for the aids.

Sounds like the next aid to support ASHA. I would think there would be a RIC that would also support it.

And I want them in anything BUT flesh color. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I heard additional details were going to be released this week (2/24/20). Have any of the professionals heard from Starkey? I tried chatting - and received vague responses with - please check with your local authorized care provider.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the release

The thinking after a lot of focus groups is that everyone is used to seeing people walking around with “black” things in their ears listening to music, streaming phone calls, etc. They are thinking this will attract people who are younger, and potentially get them into hearing aids before they let their hearing go to pot like so many do.

1 Like

Yes I believe so too. But at my age I want the flesh coler aids. Also, I have the OPN1 ITE hearing aids now, and will be getting new aids this summer, and my aids now will be my backups. I am just wondering if I would be able to understand speech better with the Starkey Livio AI or the Livio Edge AI aids. I am also wanting if possible to hear and enjoy music again. Then there is the part of me that questions what would I hear if I could hear normally again.

I think they have the best music processing algorithm in the business. I am a musician, and while I am blessed with almost perfect hearing at 56 years old, I have listened to music streaming from my phone on my demo pair, and they sound awesome!

1 Like

Well the Livio edge will get moved to the top of my list to try. I am worried that I may have issues seeing I have been using Oticon aids for about 10 years, and have come accustom to the Oticon sound.

It is a transition for sure…

Oticon and Phonak both have a very “smooth” sound for lack of a better description. By contrast, Starkey’s sound much sharper. This can be modified out, but with the sharpness comes the ability to distinguish small consonants better.

Starkey typically uses much less compression, and their feedback management is a true phase cancellation without chopping out response in the high frequencies.

1 Like

So you seem to be saying that I will come closer with Starkey to getting the speech understanding that I desire.

In a word: Yes.

I truly have had great results with Starkey. Phonak and Oticon are “comfortable” hearing aids, but sometimes “comfort” is overrated when it comes to fitting hearing aids. The hearing system is not used to hearing the amount of highs that Starkey Hearing Aids produce, so it takes time. If you give it the time, I think you will find superior understanding and clarity over what you have now.

1 Like

Thank you my main goal for my next hearing aids is speech understanding in all environments, and for phone calls and video calls. Then my other is to enjoy music.

1 Like

Does it means better than wide xmusic program?