Starkey S series7 iQ

I am thinking about changing my Destiny 400 HAs to Starkey S series 7 iQ in the hope of

minimising competing noise in crowded rooms and eliminating feedback when, on other occasions, I

need to turn the volume up. If there are members who have actually used Starkey S7iQ I would be

very interested to learn their experience. Do these HAs do all that is claimed for them?

It would also be gratifying to read comments from Starkey fitters, like ZCT, who is obviously

well informed, judging from previous entries on this website.

Problemsolver1

Freq Right Left
250 – 35 --30
500 – 30 --20
1000 - 35 --30
1500 - 50 – 45
2000 - 55 – 60
4000 - 65 – 65
6000 - 65 – 90
8000 - 95 – 95

Hello fellow BRIT!!!

My parents live just up the road in Yorkshire!

First off, thanks for the kind comments. :cool:

I’ve fitted many of the old Destiny technology over the years. What you have is considered a lower end aid, and of course they have many new technologies that have come out since that one. Background noise suppression has indeed been greatly enhanced as has feedback management.

Both of these improvements will do a great service to the type of loss you have.

However, DO NOT BUY the IQ S at this time. Starkey has moved to a new technology based on the IQ S but with some enhancements and more future upgradability.

The new system is called the X Series:

http://starkeypro.com/public/professionals/products/hearing-aids/x-series/overview.jsp

This series is available in just about every format you could want from BTE, to RIC to CIC. Whatever shape you want really.

The top of the line has the latest version of the Voice IQ 2 system for background noise suppression. Other versions have the original and slightly less effective Voice IQ system like the S series had.

Also new for the X Series is the industries most advanced nanotechnology for preventing moisture damage. Unlike most other aids, this new process defends against water AND oils.

I suspect at least for the next couple of years, you’ll be seeing more software upgrades available for the X Series, and this is unlikely true of the S Series as that is now pretty much discontinued (or if it isn’t officially, it will be).

Finally, in answer to your question about how good they are. I can tell you that I have worked with most of the mainstream hearing aids over the years, and these new Starkey aids are the most impressive I have ever seen. This opinion is further solidified when I keep seeing posts on here about issues people are running into with other hearing aid systems that Starkey fixed more than five years ago.

At the very least you should be able to negotiate a free trial with most aids of at least 30-45 days. Test drive them, and see if they are to your liking. Ask your hearing professional about the Spectral IQ system which is also new for the X Series and is designed to help people with poor high frequency results.

Given the authority of the advice from ZCT, I have changed my target HA to X-Series 70 [I hope s/he approves] and would welcome experiences from users who have actually worn these aids for a reasonable period.

Problemsolver1

Freq Right Left
250 – 35 --30
500 – 30 --20
1000 - 35 --30
1500 - 50 – 45
2000 - 55 – 60
4000 - 65 – 65
6000 - 65 – 90
8000 - 95 – 95

I have the Starkey Wi High Power RIC series which came out earlier this year. They are excellent. If the X series is an improvement over these, they would have to be phenomenal.

The X Series is the same technology, but without the wireless features of your aid.

Can you tell me about what the cost is on the X series?

Following are UK prices quoted by a Starkey recommended installer with full aftercare:

Xseries
110 £1,650
90 £1,450
70 £1,250
Power plus £1,690

To convert into dollars, multiply by 1.5?

Problemsolver1

Can you buy them for that in the US?

It seems to me US prices are somewhat higher than here in the UK. I have just bought a pair of Starkey CIC S series iQ 11 for £1890 the pair ($3000). That includes unlimited aftercare. They even made them really tiny for me and they use the larger 312 battery and have a program button! Amazing how they did it!

L&R same:
250…45
500…50
750…65
1K…70
1.5K…90
2K…100

Hello Tonytrouble

As a user, I should be very interested to hear whether you can confirm that Starkey have made a breakthrough in dealing with feedback and diminishing competing noise.

Problemsolver1

Freq Right Left
250 – 35 --30
500 – 30 --20
1000 - 35 --30
1500 - 50 – 45
2000 - 55 – 60
4000 - 65 – 65
6000 - 65 – 90
8000 - 95 – 95

Due to my level of hearing loss obviously the aids are pushed to their limits regarding feedback control which they managed pretty well. I returned them yesterday to be coated to stop the aids working loose while I’m eating.

As far as noise levels go, I’m not too sure yet. Car Tyre noise is a big problem though and when they are returned my audi will hopefully address the problem. I have been using CIC Rhapsody aids for almost five years now and they deal with feedback 90%. Battery life is limited thgough as I wear them in bed to cut out tinitus.

Thankyou, Tony

I can see that your problems are much more serious than mine. If I tried to wear my (Destiny) aids in bed, the feedback would be intolerable, but I do find that they reduce traffic & tyre noise in my car considerably. In noisy rooms they are in no way adequate. I think your audi owes it to you to improve your background noise reduction facility.

Problemsolver1

There is a mechanical noise setting that your hearing professional can pop up to max setting (it does not default to this setting), and this should reduce mechanical non-speech noises quite a lot more for you. So this should help with the car.

thank you ZCT. When they return them from having an extra coating I will ask my audi lady to sort that.

Also, a further message for problemsolver1: To enable them to be worn in bed I have one of the programs set at a lower volume. Also, you need a hollow fibre pillow. I get mine from Homebase.