Starkey Otolens - my review

Hello!
A question about Starkey AND Otolens…
By reading comments on Starkey around the site, I found that Starkey lacks of technology when it comes to directionality. So ok, a BTE needs to have directionality to better understand what happens in front of wearer, but…
Naturally, directionality is “managed” by the pinna, right? Please correct if I’m in wrong. In case it’s the pinna and considered where Otolens is placed, could it be that it does NOT need any directionality at its microphones?
I tend to believe I’m wrong somewhere, but until You don’t reply, I will not remove this open question from my head :slight_smile:

Exactly right. The directionality comes from natural filtering of the pinna. I originally thought that that the fact that it’s invisible would be the best thing about the OtoLens, but my patients have actually reported that they decide to keep their aids because they like the sound - the invisibility factor is somewhat secondary. This comes after the initial period of getting used to where the aid sits in the ear.

dr. amy

…and just one more question, Dr. Amy: do Your Otolens-fitted patients reports also improved directionality?

PS: par extension, this question is for every audiologist who will find time and will to reply. Thank You

(wish I could get Otolens… but my left ear does not grant me :frowning: )

I had same trouble with T2 but found no problem if you put the actual phone button your pressing a couple of inches from the ear rather than using the phone in the normal listening position.

Absolutely - in fact the improved sound quality they report is usually in situations where directionality and localization are key. And because these aids provide the natural directionality and localization that other styles of aids can’t, they are great for people who are lacking that with current aids.

It’s important to remember that it isnt the technology inside the aid necessarily that provides these benefits, it’s the nature of the placement of the aid. The OtoLens is a high end hearing aid with high level aid technology, but the placement of these aids in the ear is what myself - and my patients - have found to be most helpful. Because other styles are chasing this somewhat impossible task of providing natural directionality. Other styles can be helpful, but microphones placed outside the ear will never be able to FULLY replicate localization provided by microphones placed close to the eardrum IMHO.

dr. amy

Ok, so now summing up with my 2 last questions about Otolens:

1-one of the programs is specific for TV, what do Otolens users reports about this? Is it good enough?

2-Is IQ too more an hype that an effective utility in noise? Or Otolens users reports much more comfort and/or speech understanding in noisy situations?

Thanks

I have very few patients who prefer the TV program when watching TV. The one situation in which patients have noticed a distinct benefit is when watching the TV while other people are talking in the same room - it seems to help more in that environment. But if everyine in the room is watching TV and being relatively quiet, you probably won’t require the TV program.

Whether it’s hype or not is a matter of opinion but patients report speech being more clear. They can still hear noise, but it’s not as overwhelming. What the IQ technology does is decrease the amount of noise between syllables of speech so that an overall decrease in gain doesn’t have to be implemented. They actually aren’t the only manufacturer that uses this technique. The new GN Resound Alera aids use it as well.

Hope that helps!

dr. amy

It has been a while so I’d thought I’d post my latest feelings about the Otolens:

The Otolens has helped me to hear better, no question there. However, they have been sent back once because of the T2 not functioning correctly.

The only major issue I’m having at the moment is that the right aid/ear still seems “plugged” up. The left aid/ear feels perfect and I can hear sounds much clearer on that side, despite the settings being the same for both ears. I can’t feel the aid in my left ear, however, the right ear feels like I have my index finger stuck in. Thinking the right aid may be a little too big for the canal, I had my audi grind it down a little and we ended up doing it too much and caused the aid to slip out on its own as the day progresses. OOPs! So, sent the aid back to get rebuilt and Starkey ended up rebuilding the aid based on the returned aid, not the original ear mold! So, gotta send it back again…

IN the mean time, does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to alleviate the "plugged up’ feeling of the right aid? What could it be? I am sure I have the vents clear. When I place a speaker directly in front of me, the audio is clearer on my left side and sounds a bit louder, despite all the settings being the same. Perhaps I should get another ear impression done for my right ear? This issue is the only thing keeping me from being completely satisfied with the Otolens.

Thanks.

I would have the aid rebuilt based on a new impression. And to have your audi mark on the remake form WHY it needs remade so they can pay special attention to that occlusion :slight_smile:

dr. amy

Hi Im looking at the otolens and just wondering how they work if the weather is hot and humid? I have problem with my in the ear phonaks I always have to keep pushing them in when its hot and they squeal so bad. Do you find the otolens does this aswell?
Also I see there is no volume control like my phonaks so they are on full all the time or can you change the volume somehow?
thanks and glad to hear so many are having positive things with these new aids
cheers :slight_smile:

You can change the volume by using your cellphone as a remote control, but there is no volume wheel on the aid itself. I’m not sure how well the do in the humid weather, I haven’t had any patients wear them through a hot summer yet :slight_smile:

dr. amy

Hi, there,

I just went to my audi to tried the otolens. Like most other people, my ear canal is too small to fit the whole otolens into the 2nd bent. Hence, I have the otolens half into 2nd bent and half in the 1st bent. It fits deeper into my ear canal than my current Widex Inteo CIC, but I can touch the otolens with my fingers. The sound quality is slightly better than my Widex Inteo, perhaps the amplification is higher, but there is occlusion. I have half vents for the Inteo, but my audi didn’t make the air vent in the otolens because there is no more space.

My questions are

1. I read in an article that air vents reduce occlusion but in the sacrifice of sound quality. Can half vents be made in the otolens? Should we create vents for otolens? My audi suggested to create a vent on the outer surface of the shell, will it work?
  2. Since the otolens is not completely in the 2nd bent, what’s the benefit of otolens vs an IQ S11 CIC given that the 2 use the same chip? Shouldn’t I stay with the IQ S11 which is much cheaper?

Thanks.

T.
<!-- / message -->[RIGHT]<!-- controls -->[/RIGHT]

well I got my otolens’s on friday
the t2 worked while my audi was fitting them now its not working going back to get it fixed:(
i like that i can use my phone with no feedback
they are not as far in my canal like in the ad she said its the way my canal’s are ???
i wish they were clear not black
don’t like the fishing line rip cord hanging out
i think for the $$ they are ok just glad I can claim them on my taxes :slight_smile:

Hi Skunker, another 29 year old here but from the UK. I actually travelled over to NY in June to try out the lyric but the audiologist suggested the Otolens so I decided to go ahead with that (saved repeated trips back and forth to the states). I’m slowly getting used to them, although initially I had a number of issues with the fit and various other technical faults. I was assured it was due to having one of the first pairs to be manufactured in europe ahead of the launch date so they gave me an extra couple of years warranty which was a bonus I guess. I am operating them using my iphone, which is reasonably successful, so if your T2 function still isn’t working maybe give that a shot?
As for the actual hearing aid performance, well I am guilty of being vain and actually avoiding ever using hearing aids until now, so I understand that it will take some time to get used to them. Primarily because the sounds like keyboards tapping, etc that I have missed in the past my brain now picks up and pays attention to them more than someone who is used to it would. I understand that this should diminish with time. I have noted a pretty reasonable improvement in my hearing, certainly better than previously in majority of environments. It is however still tricky to decipher the TV, and there are simply some peoples voices that I find tricky. I guess to an extent I have become so accustomed to visual cues I kind of panic a bit when I can’t see the person. Again I hope this will improve with time and I will start to become more dependent on my listening skills again. Ultimately I think that even someone with perfect hearing misses things so I shouldn’t expect 100%.
In terms of the visuals, well I was a bit dissatisfied at the marketing of the product that suggests 100% invisibility, and graphics released by Starkey suggested it sat right down next to the ear drum. I was told I have normal ear canals (in terms of size, shape and symmetry) so was a good candidate for fitting, however I did feel that they didn’t rest as far down as I’d have liked. Certainly not invisible anyway, however extremely discreet would be a fair judgement. I am pretty sure that no one has noticed them yet. Non of my friends have mentioned anything and I’m sure if they did see them they’d be intrigued enough to ask.
In the work place (I’m a pharmacist) it gets quite busy, with a lot of different accents and back ground noise, so quite a demanding hearing environment, however I believe they offer an improvement. I always keep an eye out for what’s around the corner though! I’m keen to investigate the implantable devices trialing in Germany.

I got groove vents made in the first pair I got which seemed to help with the occlusion.

hey guys, am update now that I have had them for a few months.

I like them. They do definitely improve my hearing. I’m also seeing a speech therapist and I have noticed I can now hear the “sh” and “s” frequencies, thanks to the Otolens. I still have some trouble with movies and speech in busy and loud environments (restaurants, bars, etc). Have some issues with hearing in cars, but it has improved a bit.

The right aid tends to slowly slide/stick out as the day progresses, and I often have to use my pinky to push it back in. I’m going to see about getting a new ear mold done.

I’m also no longer self-conscious about these things and I like to show them off to people. NO one notices I wear them (if they do, they haven’t said anything). I’ve dated more women in 3 months than I did in 3 years, lol. Self confidence helps!

Satisfied with them? Yes. Are they worth the staggering $7k? I guess they are because there is nothing else out there to compare it to. To be honest, I’d pay much more if they can restore my hearing…but lets not jump the gun yet. I think some amazing HA technology is on the horizon…looking forward to it. We need more competition and assistance from medical insurance corporations to help us pay for these things.

I’m glad they are working out for you! Especially since I initially thought they wouldn’t give you enough gain. You might have to change your profile name to “Ladykiller” :wink:

dr. amy

Hi all, i´m from germany, and have the same questions as wongtmn:

My Audi let me test the IQ S11 CIC, to get a feeling for the starkey sound. If i felt good, i could test later the otolens.
But i felt not good with the IQ S11 CIC. They were not as good (for me), as my older CICs wich i wear since a few years.

I´m a little bit special:
Wear on the right side: Siemens Nitro CIC 128/70
Wear on the left side: Phonak Savia 11 CIC

I fit my HAs by myself with HI-PRO.

And here my questions:

1. Does the Otolens sound an other way then the IQ S11 CIC, cause they are deeper or maybe have other speakers/mics?
  2. Is it possible to fit the Otolens with HI-PRO, as it was with the IQ S11 CIC? May be with the same flat-cable? Starkey didn´t answered per Mail.
  3. What´s about the Air Vents. Are they possible to let the frequ throug, wich i can hear good enough (deep frequ)?

Hope, you understand my non-errorfree english. :rolleyes:

Bye,
Bernaus

Bernaus, I can’t answer your questions, not familiar with those products. But I just wanted to say that your English is just fine. Your questions are well worded and easy to understand. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Hey everybody! I’m a 20 year old hearing aid user from Norway, i’ve been hanging around the forum for a while just looking at different threads. At the moment I use “be by resound” hearing aids. For me the invisibility is very important, and I that’s why I think the otolens seems interesting. But I have been told from my audiologist that my ear canal are quite small, so I am a little curious about how far the otolens will go into my ear canals. The “be by resound” goes pretty far, its almost invisible, the only thing you can see is the “tube” with the microphone in the end that comes out of the device.

Regards from Norway:)