Starkey Otolens - my review

Malatesta,
I know your post was long ago but was curious if you ended up getting these and what the results were. I have a similar hearing loss in the low end and I’m not sure whether these might work for me or not. So far, I’ve tried 2 different HAs using 2 different audiologists with very poor results. Neither helped me hear better. I’ve done some research on reverse slope loss but neither of these audiologists were knowledgeable about programming for that kind of loss. If any of the professionals here would comment on whether they think this might be workable for me, please let me know.

Thanks!

First - Shoot the dog.
Second - Get new hearing aids.

An interesting update…

I paid over 7k for these HAs back when they were released in early 2010. Luckily, insurance paid about 2k of that…but still…the price tag stung for years.

After a bit of research, I’ve been able to find local audiologists that will sell brand new ones for 1,999/ear! That also includes services, repair, and 3 year warranty. Not bad, imho. Still a bit high, but this is a bit more workable.

Can you please give me the audi phone/email who sells soundlens 11 for 1999?

Here’s how I did it:

1.) Go to truhearing.com and you will see pricing for the 3 versions of Soundlens: 7, 9, and 11. http://www.truhearing.com/hearing_aid_products/starkey/soundlens_9 . The version9 is for 2195/ear!

Or,

2.) Call or email various audiologists around your area and ask them for their best price. I was able to find one that gave me a better deal (about $200 less per ear) than truhearing.com!

After you do all that, contact Starkey headquarters and have them personally fit you these things because most of the audiologists I have talked to do not have much experience. I figured if i"m going to pay top dollar for these devices AND they are such an important aspect to my social life, I might as well get the best engineers/audiologists to work with—GO STRAIGHT TO THE SOURCE. Starkey will fit you a new impression, give you a brand new audiogram, etc. for FREE, as long as your Soundlens is under warranty. They will even pick you up at the airport AND give you a discount at a nice local hotel to stay at. The only thing you have to do is pay for your own airfare there. After all that is done, you can transport the tweaked files to your audiologist so they can keep them on file. Also, you can do follow up visits with your own local audiologist (unless you want to fly to Starkey HQ again, lol).

It looks like hearsd.com soundlens 11 for 2046 is a good price…

In all honesty, going with the cheapest price on a product with a big potential for fit issues and failures as discussed further up in the thread is unlikely to yield the best customer experience. Of all the products I have fitted in the last few years the one with the most RTM (Return To Manufacturer) issues is the the Soundlens.

Given that you are going to be spending a fair amount of time in their office, I reckon it’s fairly sensible to strike up a good relationship with a dispenser/Audiologist who is nearby and has experience of fitting them.

Can you please share your experience with Resound Verso iic?

Never fitted one, I used to run in lots of issues with their ITE product; primarily because they used to hand finish them blindfolded or so we thought. Their product reliability on the modular Be series was appalling and the Live series seems to require more repairs than other similar ITE.

Given the specific difficulties of the IIC format: I’m not going to risk my customers’ patience.

My audiologist is energgetic guy who has 20+ years of experience but mostly with Resound,
Do you think that fitting Soundlens requires som special learning curve with Soundlens or being just
experienced audiologist would be enough.

Fitting IIC requires a bit of skill to produce a past the 2nd bend impression. The programming should be straightforward, but whether you will find the aid comfortable and whether it sounds ok is another issue.

Thank you.

Just got back from my trip to Starkey headquarters in Minneapolis. It was definitely an experience and I am glad I went. I spent a whole day there at their office and got to meet and talk to some of the Soundlens experts. What was interesting was that some of the engineers and audiologists on staff were also Soundlens users, so we were able to communicate on the same level on some aspects of my concerns. Again, the main reason why I made the trip there to Starkey was because I couldn’t get the fit just right with my previous audiologists. I do not blame them–this is a complex hearing aid to fit since every ear is different. As I sat at the table with other patients waiting on their appointments, I found out they were also Soundlens wearers and we all again had something in common to talk about. The issues they had were also fit-related(!). The neat thing about Starkey (I admit I was a little embarrassed when it was my turn) was that the work was all open-- you actually get to watch other patients have their ears clean via video, as well as a live view of the fitting/molding process. The staff was friendly, but they sure were busy with orders coming and going. I was there a whole day for everything from a new hearing test, ear cleaning, one-on-one discussion with an audiologist, impressions, fit testing, and software tweaking. This was the kind of care I needed if I was going to pay top dollar for these things AND have them be such a huge part of my social life. Might as well go to the source and get it done by experts. I believe I got a good fit and I think the software has been tweaked to make it more comfortable for me to wear them (I had issues with my voice sounding “tinny” when talking–this required Starkey to bring down my low frequencies [no problem since I have good lows] , they also made the vent hole larger).

Unfortunatley, there was a huge setback: I seem to have gotten a congestion/sinus issue with my ears and they have been plugged up the entire day I was at starkey. This may have affected the ability for me to get a great fit. I tried to pop my ears and drink hot tea, take a hot shower, etc but nothing worked. The “plugged up” sensation seemed to have been exacerbated by the impression process and they are STILL plugged up as I write this. The impression process was a little painful as the ear pressure was altered during the removal of the mold (I think, not 100% sure yet). It may be due to the fact I also flew in an hour earlier and my equilibirum was not yet back to normal? I expect this to clear any day now.

To the audiologists reading this post: There were some audiologists that brought some of their patients along with them. ONe had 2 customers he flew with to Starkey. I thought that was nice. I’m sure it’s not practical for all audiologists to do this, but I can tell you that these patients are customers for life for this audiologist.

The other thing I liked about the Starkey visit was the free breakfast and lunch for patients in the cafeteria, as well as the free transportation from the airport to Starkey (though some Starkey reps also dropped off the patients at the airport, but since I didn’t request it, I took a $20 shuttle ride to the airport). There’s also the nice discount from Starkey at the local 4 star Marriot ($90/night) which also provides free shuttle transportation to Starkey! All in all, it was a very cheap trip for me (cheap southwest tickets at $50, not including points I had from a credit card), especially considering the importance of getting the aids fit just right and to my level of satisfaction. The trip also put me in direct contact with a rep that will personally expedite all my future deliveries and needs.

I admit, the jury is still out on the Soundlens, but part of that is due to the fact my hearing loss is so severe and I am right on the borderline. What I do know is that I’m happier now than I was with them prior to the trip.

Sorry Skunker,
I don’t get it completely, you went to local HA dispenser, negotiate price, he/she made a cast and submitted trial to Starkey, you received HA from the suspender and fly to Starkey HQ. Is it correct?
Cheers

Sorry, I see how you are confused!

I asked (via email) several audiologists to submit me their best price. I found one that I liked, met with them, and had them order me a new pair of Soundlens. I had an older pair of Soundlens that were eaten by my dog, so this new audiologist was able to get the serial numbers from that old pair and have Starkey rebuild new pair for me. When I got them, they did not fit too well and so I called Starkey asking if they could make new ear molds for me so I could get a better fit. They said yes, so I then flew up to see them. Hope that makes sense!

yes…it is absolutely a must …

" that your brain have to adapt to all the new sounds"

Skunker, How long did it take Starkey to make the new Soundlenses, from mold to final fitting and tuning?

I was there from 11am - 430pm, but there were other patients there so I wasn’t always being “worked” on.

Thanks Skunker for sharing your trip adventure to starkey HQ. My audi told me that the fitting range for soundlens is not good enough for my kind of hearing loss, the pwr gain on soundlens goes up to 35 db and I need a lot more. He suggested to try Wi series i110 CIC that comes with wireless technology. I really thought soundlens will work for me as its working for you and we have almost similar high pitch hearing loss. I am thinking of getting a second opinion from other audi. Was your audiogram within fitting range for soundlens? Thanks!

Skunker, how much did you pay for replacing eaten Soundlenses?