Starkey Livio New Mask Mode Custom Memory

Starkey released a Mask Mode custom memory on 12 Oct for the Livio Edge AI hearing aids:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/starkey-releases-mask-mode-livio-155600494.html

To use it, first you have to select the Thrive App Main menu (bottom right), and then select Device Settings at the top of the Settings screen. There you’ll see a Mast Mode selection which is turned off by default–turn it on. Mask Mode is now enable to select as a Custom Memory. I don’t know when the Thrive App was updated.

The first time you select Mask Mode, it’ll take a few seconds–maybe to update?? After that, selecting it as a Custom Memory from the Thrive App works quickly. When I turn it on, I hear “white noise” and I haven’t had an opportunity to try it “live” with someone. So, don’t know how good it works.

1 Like

I believe now Signia, ReSound, and Starkey have all implemented dedicated mask modes.

1 Like

Has anybody done any comparisons with “mask mode” versus upping the volume a couple of notches?

This is a great feature my audiologist made a program. But it nice now to use that memory slot for something else. It works great but like all Thrive app programs it requires a strong internet connection to active. But once it does it works great.

1 Like

Do you also hear that “white” noise when using the Mask Mode?

It sounds to me like the higher frequencies are increased.

1 Like

It replaces the high frequencies that are lost. By doing that it increases the white noise. This can be compensated for by using expansion to off set it. That is how I dealt with the white noise. Hopefully this helps you out. Also it only intended to use short term like the edge mode.

2 Likes

It not just a volume issue I tried it. It was fixed by adding back the high frequency that where missing. The difference is night and day.

1 Like

I got to try out the Mask Mode today and thought it worked great!!

1 Like

I’d be dubious for myself as I’m not sure how much more high frequency gain I could take without feedback. Might involve stronger frequency lowering settings.

Curious how expansion helps, seems to be detrimental. This is a copy and paste how expansion functions.

Hearing aid expansion is intended to reduce the gain for low-level noise. However, expansion can also degrade low-intensity speech. Although it has been suggested that the poorer performance with expansion is due to reduced audibility, this has not been measured directly. Furthermore, previous studies used relatively high expansion kneepoints.

Purpose

This study compared the effect of a 30 dB SPL and 50 dB SPL expansion kneepoint on consonant audibility and recognition.

Research Design

Eight consonant-vowel syllables were presented at 50, 60, and 71 dB SPL. Recordings near the tympanic membrane were made of each speech token and used to calculate the Aided Audibility Index (AAI).

Study Sample

Thirteen subjects with mild to moderate sensorineural hearing loss.

Results

Expansion with a high kneepoint resulted in reduced consonant recognition. The AAI correlated significantly with consonant recognition across all conditions and subjects.

1 Like

The way it works is to soften the hissing. When my Audoligest up it it made the white noise go away to a point where I didn’t hear it any more. It works for me. I can see why it would be suggested by that individual as it probably works for them.

This is not possible for all.

This gain increase in the upper frequencies can cause feedback if acoustics are borderline or aids are near max gain.

It’s a good idea but won’t work for everyone.

It depends on what you are trying to fix. When you increase the upper frequency it can result in increased white noise. Expansion can reduce this noise and balance the sounds out. It did the trick for me. With the type of hearing loss I have I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Hope you have a great evening.

What has this got to do with not hearing well with masks?

He is referring to the white noise that the person he wrote to talked about. The bottom line is to hear in a mask situation you need to replace the high frequency that are lost. That way you can hear the person better. The Starkey program can and does based on my experience produce what one might call white noise. He and I where offering an idea to help that worked to offset the problem. It may work for others or not.

Sharing your audiogram would help us understand. Your hearing loss might be easy for this Starkey mask program to help.
Everyone’s hearing is different. This Starkey mask program probably works for some but not all.

I agree it works great good luck with everything.

Like I said it was based on my experience and an idea to help someone not everyone . Everyone’s hearing is different that is true. I don’t have a problem I was trying to help someone else. I have worked out the program and been using one sense June. It took some tweaking but it works great. I have profound hearing loss in one ear. The other was operated on and is borderline severe to profound. As it heals it will be interesting to see how much better my hearing is in that ear. It was a conversation between me and another person on the forum we where in agreement that the program works great. Have a great evening and be safe.

Sorry you must have missed part of the conversation it was an idea to help someone with a hissing noise when they used a mask program. It was what worked for me to solve the problem. Not as a fix for everyone.

1 Like