Starkey Livio 2400 AI questions

I’ve been trying the Livio and the Phonak Marvel M90’s.
The Livio sounds ‘warmer’ and require relatively less adjusting ‘out of the box’ for me.
I’m not expecting everyone to answer ALL my questions, please answer the ones you can, if you please :slight_smile:

Questions:

1. what’s the correct way to request all the ‘wind’ be turned off as much as possible?? still a lot of wind interference but it does not interfere with hearing as much as in the phonaks
  2. some of the mids/lower sounds seem a little ‘muddy’, I misunderstand things, for example, I heard ‘sam’s club’ as ‘samsung’ and I would not have done this with other hearing aids, how do I properly request a little bit of more emphasis/clarity in (I think) the mid-range??
  3. yes, it’s expensive but insurance covers it luckily
  4. i wanted to like the phonak but it’s too small!!
  5. does the ‘hold it up to your ear’ telephone setting exist and function properly on this livio 2400??
  6. is the expensive additional TV connector any good?? (for conecting to notebook computer)
  7. anyone on this forum have experience with the software?? I would like to learn from you…
    I’m not expecting everyone to answer ALL my questions, please answer the ones you can, if you please :slight_smile:
    I’ve been told the new app coming out next month will respond a lot faster…
    Thank you, Tom

For what it’s worth, your post is a great starting point with your fitter. Give it to him/her and get started.
Taking as many notes as possible will help both of you.

Stepping into your fitters office with information about how to tune the aids may be counterproductive.

If you want to self program there is a DIY forum with a bunch of good members who will probably give you a hand.

1 Like

The reason I asked about ‘correct way to tell…’ is to know the correct language to use so he understands how to translate it into using the fitting app. How I describe/explain something makes a difference. I don’t have to tell anyone HOW to tune them. I have to tell them what I have vs. what I need and anything that can help translate them to the fitting software is helpful.
I know about and have the Starkey software, Noah hardware, etc., I simply put the question here until I can request specific assistance from people who actually use and know the software so I don’t make unintended mistakes.

I got the Levio 2400 AI aids 8/19 and wear them about 14 hours a day I will answerer what I can.
Q 1 never had this issue
Q 2 have not noticed the muddy sounds you describe but you should understand HAs do not return your hearing to perfect hearing or what you had before your loss started.

As for misunderstanding some words you will always misunderstand some words evem people with normal “perfect hearing” will misunderstand some words.

I can share my own experience before I got the new Starkeys (Ihave been wearing aids for over 10 years) aids I could hear speech but my understanding was terrible, my 5 year old grandduaghter was the most difficult (she speakes very clearly even for childern much older but I had to ask her to repeat almost everything she said and still couldn’t undersatand her. Now I can understand her almost all the time with little to know trouble.
Questions:5 I don’t hold the phone (iphone 7) to my ear I stream it and the phone lays on the are of my chair or on the table if I’m setting at one when I receive calls. Some people claim you have to hold the phone to your mouth but I don’t and my voice is very soft.
Question:6 the TV streamer works very well for me and improve’s speech understanding for me I also have the Remote mic+ that helps in training class’s.

One additional comment I am in juvenile court 4 or 5 times a year and that has been one of the most difficult situation’s for me to understand what all the different people speaking from all areas of the court room. The Starkeys aids have help me immensely but no my hearing is not perfect and no aid will make it so. Don’t expect miracles because you will never be satisfied. But in time with wearing the aids I think you will find your understanding speech will improve as time goes by. My 2 cents worth.

1. what’s the correct way to request all the ‘wind’ be turned off as much as possible?? still a lot of wind interference but it does not interfere with hearing as much as in the phonaks
  2. some of the mids/lower sounds seem a little ‘muddy’, I misunderstand things, for example, I heard ‘sam’s club’ as ‘samsung’ and I would not have done this with other hearing aids, how do I properly request a little bit of more emphasis/clarity in (I think ) the mid-range??
  3. yes, it’s expensive but insurance covers it luckily
  4. i wanted to like the phonak but it’s too small!!
  5. does the ‘hold it up to your ear’ telephone setting exist and function properly on this livio 2400??
  6. is the expensive additional TV connector any good?? (for conecting to notebook computer)
  7. anyone on this forum have experience with the software?? I would like to learn from you…
    I’ve been told the new app coming out next month will respond a lot faster…
    Thank you, Tom
2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your comments!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Q1. Wind noise can be reduced to a max. setting of 5, 0 is wind “off”, you will hear wind blowing on MICs.

Q2. What is your Discrimination (Speech understanding) scores? Grandpaw is right…"…you should understand HAs do not return your hearing to perfect hearing or what you had before your loss started." If you discrim scores are not in the normal range you brain is not hearing as clear. Are the aids programmed correctly? 60% are NOT! :disappointed:

Q5. Auto-telephone can be programmed “on” or “off”. P.S. Only works with hear aid compatible telephones.

Q6. Yes possibly, if you discrim scores are below normal or poor. Generally if aids are programmed correctly and discrim is normal it is not needed.

Important: Wear 12 hours avg. a day or more for Optimum hearing health.

Great job “GRANDPAW”! I avg. 14-16 hours a day and have been tested with 100% driscrim score for over a decade now. enjoy! :slight_smile:

Say just what you don’t hear. ‘sam’s club’ as ‘samsung’ should be adequate information. Maybe break it down: SAMS was fine, but CLUB sounds like UNG. I guess the C is lost, the U is fine, the B turned to G? But give the pro the full phrase because sound is contextual.

I have seen a HA programmer which actually had “Fast Fix”, a list of usual complaints and the Hz and dB to adjust. Sections for Own Speech sounds Odd, and for the several troublesome letter-sounds, and for different situations.