Starkey launches world's first hearing aid with integrated sensors and AI

starkey

I posted a YouTube video above of how it works, post #6 from the top. The linked phone voices the translation for the non HA wearer to hear. I wonder if both had these aids, they could talk straight to each other.

Oh, I didn’t consider that the cellphone App would display or talk to the foreign language person.

Arrrggghhh, that’s even worse! Imagine a boat load of foreign speaking tourists trying to push their smartphone towards your eyes or ears while they speak gobble-dee-goop to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Though, if you look at the bright side, it could turn out to be a better way to steal cellphones from hapless tourists. Maybe even better than the smash-and-grab iPhone store robberies because the iPhone store security guards are instructed to not interfere.

If you can provide a link or navigation instructions to Starkey’s explanation of their Hearing Reality technology (or other technology addressing understanding speech in noise) I’ll be pleased to read that. I did examine Starkey’s web site and was unable to find this information, but this may be due to my poor search skills. By comparison, fairly detailed explanation of Oticon’s Open Sound technology is easy to find. Mind you, I’m not comparing Hearing Reality to Open Sound technologies. I’m only comparing company advertising and disclosure policies.

The new feature included with Livio hearing aids that helps suppress undesired speech or noise in multitalker environments such as cocktail parties is called Spatial Speech Enhancement (or Speech in Loud Noise). It streams the full audio signal from each hearing aid to the opposite side for comparison purposes and then reduces gain in the ear with the poorer signal-to-noise ratio, thereby prioritizing speech on the other side.

That’s interesting. I wonder how it works in real life? I think it would work well with you and one passenger in a car so that you can have a conversation with the passenger over the road noise.

Thanks. As I indicated in a prior post, I examined Starkey’s web site looking for a description of any speech in noise technology. Did you get this information from Starkey’s web site (meaning I missed it) or from some other source?

The Starky Pro website has quite a few short videos that demonstrate all the Livio AI features, including Translate, Fall detection, Health tracking, etc. I want the Tap Control that works like the controls on earbuds! :+1:t4:
https://web.starkeypro.com/launch/spiii18/#/st/en-us

Sorry that I find your reply a bit disingenuous. Your original claim, and the tone of quite few remarks by others in this thread, was “Where’s the beef?!” - that the WHOLE Livio thing was an AI gimmick with nothing behind it. Your original remark was basically that Starkey hadn’t and couldn’t improve their hearing technology and so deliberately diverted users’ attention to a bunch of AI gimmicks. Now that it’s been pointed out that Starkey is claiming that they improved (their) hearing technology, too, I think in one PR bit, “50% better understanding” in noisy environments, you’ve changed your critique to “I can’t find them explaining how they do this.”

I have no special love for Starkey. In fact, the audiologist I went to for my recent audiogram wanted to fit me with either a Starkey or a Unitron device and I told her that I wanted more choice and wanted to go elsewhere. I am just looking for fair and unbiased critiques of HA’s. I think the danger of indulging in a bunch of cheap shots against Starkey is that discourages folks who are actually trying the Livio’s from showing up here and taking the time to give us, hopefully, their own fair and balanced opinions of what Livio’s do for all their cost as compared to Opn 1’s, Resound Quattro’s, etc. That’s what REALLY MATTERS in the end. Not the claims and explanations of the big-name brands but how the HA’s actually check out with users in real-world environments.

If you want explanations, presumably if Starkey has invented anything worthwhile, they’re going to patent it. Here’s list of just the 2018 patents that Starkey has applied for, a number of which relate to actual hearing concerns. The patent applications include detailed explanations of why the idea/invention merits a patent.
https://stks.freshpatents.com/Starkey-Laboratories-nm1.php?archive=2018

A number of Starkey execs have worked for Intel, Motorola, etc., so it’s no fly-by-night company but one where the people running it know about the cutting edge of computing, etc.

The thing that I do like about Starkey is that they say that they want to change the perception of HA’s from something people HAVE TO WEAR to something people WANT TO WEAR. I’m not going to place any real bets but perhaps what’s going in with HA’s is like the transition between FLIP PHONES and SMARTPHONES. I can imagine a bunch of people back in the early 2000’s similarly lambasting smartphones makers as to “Where’s the Beef” about smartphones. What about phone call quality?! All this app Cr*p! Useless! They should just concentrate on making the best phone calls possible and forget all these gimmicks!"

Perhaps someday HA’s will be a form of “Google Glass” - something that can whisper all sorts of things in your ear and at the same time can actually improve hearing and perception beyond what nature gave us even in “normal” human hearing. So I’m all for going beyond the flip phone state of HA’s…

I was thinking about this some more. It seems too simplistic. Yes I think it could help with speech-in-noise. But what if your hearing aids choose the wrong side to prioritize speech? For example; the person you most want to listen to is on your left but your hearing aids choose to prioritize speech on you right? You may end up being forced to listen to the wrong person only because that person is located in a less noisy environment.

Am I still the only person on here who is using the Livios?

I DID give the language translation a workout yesterday with a friend from Bolivia. After getting the rhythm, it worked remarkably well. You do need a quiet space for obvious reasons.
I set the App for Spanish to English.
Spanish speaker chats in normal conversation tone with natural breaks.
After a second or so, the complete translation comes in through the HA AND is typed in Spanish and English on my phone so I can read it, and so can the speaker, verifying there were not errors.
Then I respond in English and it prints in both English and Spanish my response.
This would work well in one-on-one conversations with others, but might get old for a long winded conversation.
As a frequent traveler to other countries (recently Japan) it would have been fabulous to ask a question in English for directions etc. it would have been wonderful to have in a few places where the guides only spoken Japanese. My grandchildren’s Italian grandmother lives with them and we already converse through an app, but it would be great to just understand her when she is speaking Italian, even if not directly to me.
So, it works! I will be trying it out in a few months on a trip to S. America and will report.

Also, the sound is spectacular in general and a big leap over the Echo that I wore for 2 months and my old Linx and the 3D ones I demoed for a month. The new Livio app is far superior to the old Starkey app with many levels of settings and customization. Mostly, though, it does modulate automatically and seems the most like “normal” hearing that I have ever had. So criticize away, but also try them.

But what if your hearing aids choose the wrong side to prioritize speech?

Right. This is a major problem with hearing aids today. For example, when you’re sitting in a booth at a restaurant, often times the booths are back-to-back, so that you’re actually much closer to someone sitting directly behind you—the person you don’t want to hear— than you are to the person sitting across the table—the person you do want to hear. Too often the person behind me is louder and more intelligible than the person sitting across from me. Not even the directional, restaurant setting is much of a help.

I think the problem won’t be truly solved until hearing aids have some kind of mind-controlled neural link, kind of like how people can move certain artificial limbs with their minds. The idea would be to focus on the speech we want to hear, and the hearing aid would automatically respond. This is obviously pie-in-the-sky futurism here, but it could happen.