Starkey launches world's first hearing aid with integrated sensors and AI

starkey

I paid when I ordered. 7 g. I know it’s crazy but I’d rather hear well than anything

I hope the sound quality is good. Any specs on that?

The translation thing probably uses the cloud so really it’s probably streaming via the phone so the HA’s (my guess) are really only streaming audio from the phone and everything else (audio in, send to cloud for translation, receive response) is offloaded I would imagine. So basically the same as an app but the HA’s are the earbuds. Like I said, my guess.

seems that AI is fast becoming the new buzzword for hearing aids - and “healthable”?.. I have no idea what that even means, but gee whiz it sure does sound fancy

Google Translate works offline with both Android phones and iPhones - you can download language packs for offline use - since I’m not an HA user yet, I can’t vouch for anything about that part of the equation. Would imagine as with most resource-intensive apps, the more powerful your phone, the better the experience.

Getting Livio AI’s this afternoon for both me and my wife. Can’t wait to get them programmed to try them out. My wife had a stroke earlier in the year and is prone to falls, so I’m looking to their adding the fall alert function. I was told the initial hearing aids have all the hardware, and the fall alert function will be added via a firmware update.

So, you are getting regular hearing aids, right?

Sounds promising. Glad to hear that Starkey is back to innovating. Got my new Starkeys a couple of months ago.
Friend of mine, 90, fell a couple of months ago. Lived alone but had a housekeeper who came in during the day. One day she came in and found him on the floor, had fallen and hit his head on cabinet. Died from brain damage. Perhaps a fall sensor could have gotten him to the hospital in time to prevent death. Perhaps not. Sad result though.

I’m getting the newly released Livio-AI 2400’s. These are the highest spec models. Getting them fitted this afternoon.

Have the new Livios. One day only. With TV transmitter. So far everything seems to work seamlessly. Needs no tweaking compared to my old Linx (pre HD) and also test HD. It DOES translate languages, but I need more testing in different situations. Quite fascinating.

Starkey's AI Transforms Hearing Aids Into Smart Wearables [Starkey Livio]

News:
Starkey invent new definition for artificial intelligence.
Hearing aids now determining your cognitive health level.
Next version will book the nursing home bed and have someone come and collect you.

To Starkey - just concentrate on the universal translator. We’ve been waiting a long time for the babel fish.

Just curious as to the cost. I saw a $7000 posted previously.

Guess they are running out of 'hearing’features to put in hearing aids.

Stark tech, will come with a mobility suit next release…

The weapons systems will be an ala cart upgrade (pay-per-missile). :slight_smile:

Here’s how I read the press releases from Starkey for Livio as well as Sivantos for Styletto: “While we’re certainly aware that understanding speech in noise (e.g., restaurant scenario) is the most important objective for most hearing aid wearers, we really haven’t been able to come up with any processor-algorithm combination that provides any significant improvement in this area. So we’re trying to deflect your attention from that failure by touting much less important things like AI that can do lots of things except improve speech understandability in a noisy environment (or an arguably stylish form factor and portable charging technology for Starkey’s Livio).”

Seems to have become the thread for snarky Starkey comments. Actually, if you take the time to read their product literature, they claim improvement in HA performance relative to their previous models (not to the competition) as seems to be the wont of the various brands in announcing something new.

I initially thought I’d discovered a forum that rose above the hoi polloi but I guess I jumped to a conclusion too early…

I’ve said it before… like smart phones they are using hype and gimickry to upstage or
promote their new entries.

As I said, around $7000 including a $400 (around) tv transmitter. It was a bundle and supposedly a good price.
I realize it is astronomical.

Since I am the first reporter I can find so far…they are brilliant! I had an early Linx. I tried the Linx HD for a month and loved the app, but I needed to constantly tweak. And my AU frequently tweaked. I went to the Starkey Halo–best one before the Livio–for a month trial, then decided to buy the Livio so got to keep until Livio was delivered. I had frequent tweaks on the Halo, disliked the app, and no TV transmitter. But the sound was quite good and needed less setting by me with the app. Now a few days into the Livio. Transmitter is awesome. Really seamless sound and unlike Linx very little distortion. For the first time I found the TV audio setting too loud. Regular use is best ever. Music app really good. Done some translating, but need to test with a native speaker in person. It works. Just not sure how well quite yet. Other than the expense, I am very impressed. Many features are not rolled out yet. My AUs are going to Minn next week for full training. I love that they can be remotely tweaked.

Hmmmm; I don’t think that will work. The person (or yourself) would have to be bi-lingual in order to have a conversation. So what’s the point? If one of you two is bi-lingual then you don’t really need a hearing aid translate feature in order to have a conversation.

Might be good for airport announcements or maybe replacing sub-titles while watching TV, things like that.

Oh, it might work well for eavesdropping.

Often one person is bilingual to an extent, but much more comfortable speaking in a native language, often understanding a foreign language better than they can speak it. If the translator is good, I could see it being pretty helpful in such a situation.

Neither person needs to be bilingual. When you speak, the smartphone app translates your speech into the other person’s native language and displays the words on screen for you to show them. When they speak, the app streams the translation directly to your hearing aids.