Starkey launches Genesis AI

So additional feedback on the Genesis AI 24: I really love the battery life. I have yet to get to less than 60% on a day (longest day: 5:30am to 12:30am the next morning, which a few hours of streaming…19 hrs off the charger). I am still undecided on the sound clarity/quality as I think my audiologist is still trying to figure out the new software and he is fairly new to the craft. I can tell the processing speed is A LOT faster. Noise reduction “feels” more seemless, although I have yet to truly test these. I feel like I need to have the REM adjustments and new molds before I can truly assess overall sound performance (clarity - so far, I have been disappointed). Car rides are way better than before - road noise cut significantly and I can hear the radio pretty well.

Regarding the Bluetooth connectivity, I am disappointed. I use iOS devices, my connectivity is not as good as the Starkey Edge AI I had previously. Also, I am finding the range less than the Edge which has surprised me. I will be connected to my iPad and get a phone call. I will turn off my Bluetooth of the iPad as the “hand-off” to phone did not happen and the iPhone still would not pick up the Hearing aids. This was very frustrating and has happened twice. I hope this can be fixed with a firmware/software update. I am not sure what to think about the range, other than disappointing.

I will also share, the Edge+ is great - very effective.

I will continue to provide updates from time to time and answer any questions anyone has.

2 Likes

I used to have a 2007 Starkey profound hearing aids with the 675 battery. I had them for 12 years and it has been reconditioned twice. They no longer make their most powerful aids with the 675 battery. I am sticking with my Phonak P70-UP aids and waiting for an Oticon replacement of the Xceeds. I plan on using a pair of aids as backups.
I doubt the Genesis AI will help me if they come out with one for profound hearing loss.

But they have the Evolv AI Power Plus BTE 13 (see below).

The brand new Genesis AI platform only has RICs and Customs at this point. But I believe they will come out with a Genesis AI BTE model later. Some of the other manufacturers do the same thing. That is, release some models first and then release other models later.

I am aware of their power btes but they use the 13 size battery and doesn’t last a week. I prefer the 675 batteries.

Oh, it’s the batteries you miss. Having never worn BTE’s myself, I missed that important benefit. :wink:

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Starkey Genesis hearing aids? Curious to hear anyone’s thoughts who has. Thanks.

I have them a few weeks.

Sound quality is solid.

However, I keep having problems with one or the other disconnecting from my iPhone. They seem to have Bluetooth issues.

Getting them replaced to see if I just had a bad pair.

1 Like

My VA audiologist is going to order the ITE model for me on May first when they come under contract for the VA. Fingers crossed…

1 Like

I did not understand what exactly is the problem with the iPhone?
Make sure it’s not up to your iphone, maybe you need to upgrade your iphone to a newer version iOS, and if you can try your genesis with another iphone, just to see if it’s up to your iphone or all iphones in general.

1 Like

The problem is that the HAs randomly disconnect from my phone. Sometimes just the right one disconnects and sometimes just the left disconnects.

I’m on iOS 16.4.1 on an iPhone 14 pro max. No problems with many other Bluetooth devices. Starkey had me try all the basic troubleshooting steps.

Haven’t tried pairing to another phone because that isn’t super practical…

2 Likes

Oh, one thing I will say about the Starkey Genesis AI is that the battery life is insane. After a full day and going to bed around midnight, they have over 80% battery left. I think the claimed life of 50 hrs is accurate.

1 Like

Would you say that they’re a game changer, as is being implied in ads? If you didn’t know that they had AI…would you think they were anything other than a new aid put out by starkey as per usual?

I mean, I could say the sound quality is solid on most HAs.

I thought about buying GenesisAI but gave up. I recently watched a review from a ClifAud doctor and he said that genesisAI is hard to pair with android. GenesisAI is an mfi hearing aid and if we want to get the most out of it, we must have an iPhone. I’m an Android user, and I have no intention of buying an iPhone, I don’t like the iPhone system. My goal is to wait for now, maybe the next version of Starkey will offer the long-awaited standard Bluetooth that is planned to be introduced. Starkey really impressed me, mostly because of the battery and the fact that people who say that it can be heard very well in noise, etc.

1 Like

Would love to hear other reviews, mostly reviews from experienced users who have tried hearing aids, my initial conclusion is that the Starkey GenesisAI can only be compared to Oticon More/Real and I think the other brands are still faltering, they don’t process the sound as detailed as they do Oticon and Starkey.

Since you’re not going to get an iPhone and they don’t pair well with Android phones, what else are you looking to know?

how they work in noise, what is it like to talk to them while you are in a restaurant when there is noise.

I’m with you Mark. I have some Starkey Evolve 2400 CICs that I wore for a while. I bought a small iPhone mini just to use with them but I hated IOS so much that I switched back to my Samsung Galaxy Flip 5, having been an Android user for many years. It was either that or risk damaging the wall by throwing the dumbed down iPhone against it. But of course they don’t connect to Android reliably. Perfect.
Turns out I can’t stand having my ear canals plugged up all day anyway so I generally use a pair of Signia Silk Xs unless I need some BT connectivity. I got those on eBay and used the programming software to load in my audiogram.

Stuart.

2 Likes

I have a closed dome with Phonak Audeo Paradise and Unitron Blu hearing aids. If the dome starts to bother me, it is most often due to moisture that is trapped in the ear, it is a mixture of wax and moisture because the closed dome does not allow air to enter the ear. Well, sometimes during the day I need to clean my ear with cotton swabs. Also, if the ears are cleaned often, then the wax filter is changed less often.

I received my Genesis Ai itc yesterday. My first set of HA. Trying to get used to them and the software. Struggling a bit with the my Starkey app but I just downloaded the user manual (which they don’t give you when you get the HA). Interested to see other users experiences. I’ll post my findings as I learn.

Geotagging for programs is pretty awesome.

Tap control to switch to Edge control is handy