Starkey fitting

Hi everybody. I noticed that in addition to the need for audiogram for fitting the hearing aid, an extra fitting is done using curves in a figure called “predicted real ear in dB-SPL” for each right/left ear. Does anybody know what them are important and why “predicted”?

Are you asking about REM, Real Ear Measurement, that was measured by your Audiologist after he/she fiddled around with placing a tiny probe in each ear while you are wearing your hearing aids?

You should find and read a DIY School file named (How to Program Your Hearing Aids).

Just Click PVC’s Avatar on any PVC forum post and then click PVC’s Featured Topic to find DIY School.

Please see the attached figure

Where did you get the image? Audiologists perform REM because they buy additional equipment that cost megabucks. DIY self programmers don’t shell out megabuck to buy additional REM equipment.

My audiologist uses Starkey software “Inspire” and I got that figure from that software. I’d like to know what those curves are. I have several times meet the audiologist for fitting. He/She adjusted the curves based on my hearing feeling but I’m not still satisfied with that fitting…

Did you watch the Dr Cliff Video about REM that I linked above? I believe that should explain it. Here’s a direct link in case you are having problems getting to the final Video.

Also this; https://natus.com/en-us/products-services/aurical-freefit
Also this;

Thanks very much for your response. I was wondering the “in situ feature” in step 3 can be enough/acceptable to adjust the curves in that figure (Predicted real ear) or not. As far as I know, my audiologist likely cannot perform REM because of the lack of related equipment.

• Your audiogram is the result of measuring your hearing loss for each frequency measured. Your audiologist puts you in a soundproof booth and has you click a button when you hear a beep.

• in situ is another way of measuring your hearing loss for each frequency. You do this yourself listening for beeps from the fitting software through you hearing aids.

Either of the above two methods can be used to measure your hearing loss. Then the fitting software (using either audiogram or in situ) can calculate the prescribed settings for your loss using one of its fitting formulas (NAL DSL etc).

REM (real Ear Measurement) is when you stick probes in your ears and sit in front of this machine that makes gurgling sounds to determine if your ear canals require further adjustment in order to reach your prescribed settings.

Oh, okay maybe you just want to know how to change your settings? Simulate first until you get comfortable;

Thanks again. What I understood is that to change the settings (i.e. black/green/blue/dashed curves) in a suitable manner, we are better to execute REM and use it.
In case we can’t do that, we should change the curves experimentally with a “try and error”. I would like to get an insight about curves and how to better adjust them (in a less meeting time with audiologist). As far as I find out, they are related to the loudness of sound. But very complex…! You may ask me why I’m so eager about the curves, I explain here:
The behavior of my hearing aid is that when a high-level tone plays, the gain drops (to protect the ear against harmful sounds, I think), but it leads to gain-drop for all other tones/sounds. I think it is related to these curves. I cannot hear above 6kHz, but hearing aid “hear” and drops the gain. So I hardly hear during the moments the high-level, high frequency tone is playing.

Maybe look at some Audiology Online courses. You have to register. But it’s free unless you are seeking educational credits. For Example; Inspire Fitting Basics

It would be helpful. Thanks for your time and assistance.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

I have looked at some Audiology Online courses. They were very helpful and I would use some of its notes in my next audiology appointment for a better fitting. What I am still wonderful is that when the audiologist changes the fitting formula to linear (NAL-R), gain would not drop with high-level high-frequency tones and I could hear other sounds too. However with non-linear fitting formula (like eSTAT), the gain drops for all frequencies when a high-level single tone is playing. The sufficient tuning is that the gain should be reduced only for the frequency of that tone, not all!