Starkey Ecosystem: Help me figure it out the apps and accessories please!

I need help understanding all the new hardware and apps for the current Starkey lineup (and how it relates, if it does to the previous generation of same).

Previously I had Wi 110’s and the Surflink Mobile (for remote and some streaming) and the Media for the TV. Oh, and the wireless aid programmer. I can’t remember what that was called, but probably Surflink Programmer (900MHz).

Now I’m looking at the new lineup (E.g. Muse 1600?) and I now see Surflink Mobile 2, Trulink app, T2 Remote app, SurfLink Remote Microphone 2, and SurfLink Mini Mobile Adapter. I also have seen the Trulink Programmer someplace.

So, am I correct in assuming that the new lineup is still using the 900MHz system that I am used to? I don’t see how that is possible and still be able to support Made for iPhone and also (some) Android capability.* The phones don’t have 900MHz radios as far as I know. Or is the new Trulink stuff 2.4 GHz, maybe BLE or who knows?

Maybe there is an online course somewhere that explains which items work with what.

• I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and have installed Trulink and T2 Remote for what it’s worth.

My Halo’s (not the Halo 2) connect via Blue Tooth (BLE). There are 2 ways to “talk” to the aids. A quick triple click that allows me to adjust volume and pick a program. Trulink app that also allows creating custom settings (can be tied to a geo location), select programs, adjust the microphone directional configuration (dynamic, adaptive, directional, etc) and such things. Will also help find your aids if you misplace them and has “other stuff”. Starkey’s site has a lot of info and they have been very responsive when I contacted them. I have had them for 3 years and they have never let me down. Batteries go a week or so, I just replace on Sat morning. The iPhone streams nicely for the Maps program, I don’t listen to music much.
Lou

The wireless technology used in the Wi Series is called IRIS. It was replaced by 900sync in the Z Series which featured a new radio and antenna design for improved connection quality. Muse products also feature 900sync. You’ll get the best wireless performance by using SurfLink Mobile 2 and SurfLink Media 2 with 900sync products. The T2 Remote app won’t be of any value to you because it only works with non-wireless devices such as CIC or IIC. Finally, Halo and Halo 2 products are MFi hearing aids which use 2.4 GHz wireless technology; they are compatible with the TruLink Hearing Control app.

Awesome, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. A followup question if I may … are IRIS and 900sync incompatible (won’t work at all) or will using an IRIS accessory just have reduced range? Mainly just wondering if my original Surflink Mobile will work at all with a new Muse aid.

Oh and (sorry) Halo vs Muse … which is the preferred aid for sound quality? I actually like my Wi 110 ITE for sound, just looking for new aids similar or better with a bit more dB (headroom/volume) if you will.

The original SurfLink Mobile and SurfLink Media will work with Muse wireless instruments, but without the benefits of 900sync. Halo 2 and Muse have the same sound quality as they both use the same receivers.

Thanks again. If I can impose a bit more. Much appreciated.

Regarding sound quality… would you say the power receiver is inferior to the regular one? I’m not in a “power” situation (yet, knock wood), but I am considering both receivers.

And noise reduction… the Muse i1600 vs i2000 vs i2400. I don’t know what the Wi i110 had dB-wise so the Muse equivalent would be what? It seems the number EQ and compression bands is higher with all the Muse variants compared with the Wi i110. It’s weird that noise reduction strength would be a differentiating factor between Muse models. I’m hoping that’s because of processing power rather than an artificial attempt to make “good, better, best” out of something this important.

First off, I don’t wear the Starkey Muse, I wear the OPN. But I can tell you that more often than not, HA mfgs actually “cripple” the capability of a model in an artificial attempt to make a “good, better, best” versions at different prices to reach out to a larger market of people, including those who don’t want to pay for a premium model and are willing to sacrifice some of the quality for a lower priced model. It’d be much more economical for the HA mfgs to cripple the capabilities on a single development platform than to build 3 separate development platforms in the first place. So yes, it does happen, and that’s what Oticon does with its OPN 1, 2 and 3 line. I’m fairly sure that’s what many other HA mfgs do as well. You’d think that it’s crazy and criminal for them to do so (cripple things up), but that’s just how the business is done.

As for whether the power receiver is inferior to the regular one or not, you just don’t know unless you look at the spec. (maybe at the Total Harmonic Distortion). But conventional wisdom says that you don’t want to grossly oversize your receiver anyway. Beside costing more, sometimes power receivers are required to be fitted in custom molds only, while regular size receivers can be readily fitted with regular domes.

Receivers that are designed to generate high output levels usually have narrower bandwidths when compared with less powerful receivers. If your hearing loss is mild-to-moderate in the high frequencies, you may experience better sound quality and speech intelligibility by choosing the smaller receiver.

The Wi Series i110 and Muse i2400 can both be configured to provide up to 20 dB noise reduction. The various technology levels correspond to your lifestyle and listening situations. If you’re in a quiet home or office environment most of the time, you probably won’t notice any difference between a premium-level device and a standard-level device.

I’m trying out a Muse i1600 now. It’s kind of a medium price device in this lineup. I like that it still works with my old Surflink Remote and Programmer. It’s kind of a lateral move from the Wi i110 I think. The notifications are dumbed down and a few other things I don’t care for, but larger 312 batteries in an ITC and familiar sound quality are nice.