SoundRecover or SoundRecover2

Dear all

Will Sound recover works for my type of hearing loss ? I am using Audeo b90-312 and have slopping hearing loss. if you check my audiogramimage . is this recommended for my hearing loss ? if so, which would be best is it sound Recover or Sound Recover2

and what setting might be needed to enjoy best of quality of sounds ?

i would appreciate some expert advice on this topic please

The software sets SR to the most appropriate setting depending on what your audiogram is.

Frequency lowering, like Sound Recover (SR) or SR2 can make the higher frequencies (from approximately 3khz on up) audible for you and conventional amplification is not going to do that. Sound Recover 2 is preferable to “plain” Sound Recover. Settings are individualized. One goal is to make the “s” sound audible. You may or may not like it. If you don’t like it initially, it’s still worth trying some different settings. There are some pretty indepth resources to learn more. Happy to provide if you want.

1 Like

Thanks MDB.

yesterday during my session along with audiologist, they activated the SR2 with below setting… After this , i find every sound chirpy in nature. Be it i am talking to some one in person, or like talking to some one over speaker tele-phone. I am not sure if this just because of this or anything else. i would appreciate your advice please.

thanks yes agree to that but found some new challenges, i have shared snapshot form hearing aid fitting report, not really sure if this is due to this or something else

The “chirpiness” is because you are hearing frequencies of sound you haven’t heard in a long time. It’s like you’ve been listening to speakers with broken tweeters for a long time and got new speakers with good tweeters. Things are going to sound different. What to do depends on your tolerance. If it’s just kind of strange but you can tolerate it and perhaps even smile about some new sounds (like some bird songs or insect sounds) you’re hearing, I’d suggest giving it some time. If it’s absolutely driving you nuts, go back to your audiologist and tell him/her that you’d like it turned down some. Even with it turned down, it will still take time to adjust. If you’re not the patient type, have them turn it off.

2 Likes

This is normal for new users. Maybe your audiologist should start at a higher frequency (for your loss eg. 3,0kHz, 17a) and reduce the starting frequency month by month until you reach your final 14a.
Of course it may be the case that you don’t benefit from SR at all.
My Naidas are programmed with SR2 at 7a (1,1kHz, CR1,4). It took me some months to get used to the chirpy sound. But without this adjustment I would not hear any birds.

Thank you . though i was able to hear birds sound clearly which is a boon but at the same time, i am able to hear human sound also chirpy … is it normal ? does this need any change in setting ?

I also wanted to know, from my hearing loss (Slopping), whether i am the right candidate for hearing loss ? whether i will able to benefit from SoundRecover2 option.

You are the right candidate for hearing loss.
Chirpy human sounds are normal.
You MAY benefit from SoundRecover but there is no guarantee.
But you have to get used to the new sound. It is not a matter of days. It takes up to several months.
That’s why I suggested to start SoundRecover at a higher frequency than actually set and decrease the starting point the next month and decrease it the following month again.

Thank You Dani. i have already taken this point for consideration during my next Visit - this weekend. Thanks again!!!

Try Oticon (Dynamo SP or Opn PP) with SpeechRescue. SoundRecover “presses” all high sound frequencies from higher to lower. SpeechRescue “copies” frequencies of “S” sound only to lower point.

phonak is the original innovator in this space (first to come out with this type of functionality), and my audiologist says her experience has been the best with Phonak as they’ve had the most time to perfect it. It does change how things sound, but if you can adjust, you may find you hear better… meaning better ability to differentiate sounds and increased speech understanding.

2 Likes

I have severe to profound high frequency loss. Depending on which hearing test you choose to go by. I have both venture and belong platform aids. I got the belong aids mainly for SR2. I have been playing with the programming for SR2 and noticed that chirp as well. I think it may help with my problem of speech recognition if I can ever get it set just right. I do think SR2 is better than the older version. Whether it helps you or not, I can’t say. If the chirp is too bothersome, it probably won’t help. I can live with it, but my main concern is speech recognition. I was wearing my aids a few weeks ago and found the birds annoying. I guess I just got used to not noticing them.

I love hearing the birds. It makes me happy and I kind of have a spring in my step when I hear birds.

1 Like

Sound Recover 2 (non-linear frequency compression) works really well and keeps music sounding very good, even at my extreme levels (starting at 900 and 1100).

1 Like

I hear only crows and buzzards. Makes me pick up my pace when I hear them. :astonished:

ndepth resources to learn more
[/quote]

@MDB, Can you please forward more source of it. Recently i have got ICUBEII and willing to try more of sound recover2 . i would appreciate if you can share please.

https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~alexan14/fittingassistants.html

3 Likes

Funny thing. I am actually waiting for my iCubeII since last week, too, to be able to make experiments with SR2 more easily. Thank you very much for the link MDB!

@MDB thank you. Any source or document to refer for the attached link. Sor