Sound quality difference between T-coil and Roger?

I ask this because I am currently trying out a Roger Select with a Roger MyLink. I was hoping to try this to see if I wanted to get the new Roger Select IN so I could connect with my new Marvel M-90RT aids using Roger Direct.

The thought occurred to me that, yes I am using the Roger Select as a mic, but the sound is being picked up by the MyLink and being transmitted to the Marvels using the T-Coil setting. If I used a Select IN it would connect directly using a different connectivity protocol; Roger Direct and FM.

Does anyone know if there is a big difference in sound quality and/or clarity (if there is any difference at all)

Thanks.

1 Like

YES ITS A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

T-coil is prone to interference as well.

1 Like

Thanks, @Zebras So this is not really a proper test-out if the Roger Direct system is better. But I suppose it will be interesting to see how the adaptive mics work.

My first outing in London at the weekend was interesting. It definitely worked, but the sound quality wasn’t great.

I have not used this product but the underlaying technologies are very familiar.

The microphone picks up “all sound in the room”, better for closer sounds. Great if you get close to a dominant sound. Not great if there is a jackhammer around (or at the zoo). If the best position for the mike is not near your ear, we need to carry it there “somehow”.

The T-coil picks up all electrical “noise” in the room, better for closer sources. You put the listening T-coil next to a plain telephone, or a sending T-coil, and it hears that best; but it always picks-up buzz and static from all the electric power and appliances in most rooms. The stand-out advantage is that “ALL” aids can have T-coil… it dates to the first half of the 20th century.

FM works same-as FM broadcast radio. It tunes to its assigned channel and rejects most of the other stuff in the radio air-waves. The modulation is very specific and the FM receiver rejects most buzz and static from non-FM sources. FM is a mature and fairly easy system (now a small part of a small chip).

The new way is BlueTooth. But this is a more complicated protocol and was developed for larger machines (laptop PCs, mice). For straight sound, FM may be better, certainly cheaper on the chip and in battery life. BT allows more complicated data error-free, but older implementations were power-hungry. That’s got better.

If the T-coil is not picking up much crap from airwaves (and has enough bass for your needs) and enough range), it sure is simple. FM will have more electric air-crap rejection. BT can do much more than this job needs.

1 Like

The Roger doesn’t work on FM. It works on the 2.4ghz channel, I believe. It’s digital, that I do know.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re suggesting that the difference in sound quality between T-coil and FM/BT is sort of like the difference we experienced in olden days between AM and FM radio. AM was fine for rock ‘n’ roll because who cares about a bit of noise, but FM was much better for classical music.

OK.

There’s many technical and practical differences between AM Broadcast and using T-coil in a room. Power/range, tuning. Bandwidth, though an AM channel is not much wider than audio bandwidth (and most AM radios give less).

But yeah: both do little to reject noise, so a clean connection depends on getting away from interference and close to the transmitter. Picking up from a plain old telephone, there’s no choice, and typically the T-coil is right against the handset and not near power wires or bad-spark engines. And T-coil is readily available in HAs. T-coil transmission has also been common in schools and public spaces, where audio is fed to a loop of wire around the room and users’ T-coils get the program without any extra steps except to enable their T-coil. Audio in loops/coils is kinda the stone-knife of short range audio. Not fancy or perfect but simple and it often works fine.

I have T-Coil via the multi mic in my Resounds. But, I have never tried the Roger (don’t think it works with my aids anyway). I have not noticed any interference but you have to be within the loop. The quality sure isn’t hi-fi, but it gets the job done. I only use it in church and I liken it to having the microphones connected directly to my aids, mono only. Perhaps this will explain: From the Q and A | Nuts & Volts Magazine

1 Like

BIG difference. I had the Roger MyLink then went to RogerDirect and immediate increase in clarity.

2 Likes

@louyo Thanks, that’s an interesting link.

@focusandearnit Yes. That’s what I thought it might be.

Thanks everyone for your input. It’s been very helpful.