Sound Quality - BTE vs. RIC

I have read that the BTE HAs are for those requiring the most amplification compared to RIC HAs being for those not needing as much amplification. As far as sound quality in different environments is concerned if a person is one for whom RIC HAs are sufficient for them for amplification needs have they ever had the opportunity to compare BTE HAs with a RIC HAs as far as sound quality in different environments? :confused:

Also curious, do RIC HAs or BTE HAs tend to last longer or need less repairs/maintenance?

Hi Nebraskan,

I only assume, that RIC models should have better sound quality with an open fit, but it’s only a quess.
BTW, why do you wear RICs with closed domes?

At times I am exposed to loud noises so I quickly can have hearing protection by turning them off. I also discovered I prefer the sound in all circumstances with the closed and I had trouble with the open domes staying in place but don’t with the closed double domes.

I have Phonak Naida aids, both BTE: RIC (which they call CRT) and III sp which uses tubing.
Both have generic domes, I don’t like earmolds.
Phonak RIC (crt) can have power receivers which have lots of amplification but can tend to fail
more , probably from the wires breaking. I have had to replace two receivers in two years.

I like the sound quality a little more with the tubing models but they are larger physically.
The crt (RIC) aids need to have a remote control if you want to change both the volume and program,
the tubing models have both volume and program buttons on them.

— Updated —

I have Phonak Naida aids, both BTE: RIC (which they call CRT) and III sp which uses tubing.
Both have generic domes, I don’t like earmolds.
Phonak RIC (crt) can have power receivers which have lots of amplification but can tend to fail
more , probably from the wires breaking. I have had to replace two receivers in two years.

I like the sound quality a little more with the tubing models but they are larger physically.
The crt (RIC) aids need to have a remote control if you want to change both the volume and program,
the tubing models have both volume and program buttons on them.