Sound quality and side effects of phonak Q90

Hello, I recently bought a pair of phonak q90 and im still on trial period . I have low and mid frequency loss and my high is almost normal. My problem is that I get very stressed with the aids. I feel them closing my ears and after a few hours I feel dizzy and I can’t think properly . I would like to know if there is anything that could add comfort on this. My vents are the biggest ones that are available for this model. My aids are ite with battery size 312. Maybe if I try an behind the ear model would be better? But I would not feel comfortable with a model that is very visible as I am 29 yes old. Also as a person I prefer to have 2 or 3 very well configured programs than 10 programs that change automatically when the aid thinks that it’s right. Maybe phonak is not for me? What brand would you suggest that has better sound quality but less features? I heard that widex fit this description. Is that true?
Thank you very much

why are you even bothering with the old quest line? is it because your insurance only cover old models?

Hello DoubleDown, thank you for your answer ,
I bought the older line because it was much cheaper. I got both of my hearing aids plus the compilot for 2450 British Pounds. I would have paid around 750 pounds more for the new line and I was not sure if it is worth it.
I measured my audiogram again with phonak target (directly through the aids) but something is not right.
Could you please give me a link that explains the brands and how the perfom with the different types of hearing loss? I did my research but could not find much.
thank you very much.

my audiogram:
R:
HZ 250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000
DB 50 55 55 60 60 60 50 40 5

L:
HZ 250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000
DB 55 65 ? 70 ? 65 60 50 5

Just stop it, the bandwidth argument is total bullshit!

IMO you should try the rite form factor.

My audiogram is not much different than this (as I remember it). my 250 /500 hz are 10db better and anything could be up to 10 db different. My loss is indeed cookie bite type.
Could you please explain a little more what the rite form factor is please?
I never wear my hearing aids the whole day. I just cannot do this. Whenever Im forced to wear them for more than 6 hours continuously I feel very tired and a little dizzy and often have to remove the aids and let my hears “breath” for 5 minutes.
What effect will the bigger domes have?
At the boots they have somewhere their price list but it is hidden on their website. Check the specsavers prices. Boots are a little more expensive (like 80 pounds ). specsavers link :
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/offers/clear-price
I paid around 2450 for both Q90 and the compilot.

Boots and Speccys are in a bit of a price war, flogging the older generation of product while inferring it’s ‘just as good as’ the current product lines. I had a customer bail out on a purchase yesterday on the same basis.

Sonova (Phonak) are playing all the angles on this as they own 50% of Boots hearing care in the UK.

What you are experiencing is auditory fatigue, it’s quite common when you are being bombarded with a new level of sound way above what you are used to. I’m guessing that they have set the adaptation manager at one of the higher settings, rather than let you get used to it slowly - to cut down on the number of follow-up visits.

If you want to stick with them, ease yourself into wearing them for a few hours or get the initial setting lowered. Or preferably find a dispenser willing to spend a bit of time fitting a set of aids properly for you.

Hello, thank you for your replies.

TBH I am very disappointed with the hearing aid professionals both my home country and also here in the UK with boots (no offense). As my loss seems to be something that none encountered before and thus they can not configure my aids properly. Particularly the person at Boots pressed the “auto everything” and configured my 20 channels and 6 programs that way.

Right now I do it on my own. I have hi pro, cables, software and a lot of patience (as every session may last up to 5 hours ) and also I do not have to leave my work either. I am also a software engineer and I find it unbelievable that in 1 hour I discover functions on the fitting software that the professionals (who work 8h/5d per week for years) are not aware off. Of course, I am not an audiologist. I do everything by trial and error. And also, I try to find whatever resources I can online that are related to the hearing aids. Sadly I cannot find much.

Could you please explain further what’s the difference between small and big domes and how this affect the sound quality in low, med and high frequencies and also how these affect the feeling of tiredness and dizziness that my hearing aids cause? (this is because there is no air getting into my ears as I understand. I feel the auditory fatigue, also, but I think the major cause of it is because my ears cannot “breath”.
And also the Rite form Factor?

Also, I am a user of hearing aids for 13 years.

Thank you !

In reverse - RITE - Receiver In The Ear - a hearing aid with the speaker portion inside your ear canal - also called RIC for that reason.

Small and large domes/venting and occlusion - the more occluded your ear canal the more amplified sound is retained in there and the less natural sound is heard. Any skeletal vibration can also be kept in your canal - like your own voice. For the hearing aids themselves - the more you block the ear the more bass energy is retained giving the aids a lower pitch.

Great if you can program the aids for your loss - I’d have a look at the different compression and TK settings if you want to fry your noodle. However subtle gain changes may be beneficial in making the aids more comfortable.

Your loss is essentially flat with a bit of a dip around 1Khz, which really shouldn’t present that many problems - I can’t see why there would be particular issues unless you have really unusual canals with weird resonances that aren’t being accounted for by the software. If you want a bit of an experiment to try to work this out - run the feedback manager with a few different dome configurations - this will tell you if you’ve got particular peak resonance issues (on the cheap) - leave the rest of the audiogram/gain levels on target and just decrease the gain in the vicinity/profile of the resonance.

I’m not sure why you’re suffering extreme fatigue with them, but it could be that the amount of gain you’re getting at a particularly resonant point is either way too loud/or causing upward-downward masking of the other areas, ‘forcing’ your brain to work harder for the sound than it needs to.

thanks for the prices.

Stop talking drivel.

Libby horns?

noise floor?

UK Costco doesn’t offer hearing aids at those prices if at all.

libby horns are high pass filter, op needs the opposite of this. something that narrows the tubes. people come here to find options, not to get bullied by ego maniacs.

Leaving the ad hominem aside - Those would be the correct options, not just stuff you read from the back of a cereal box.

— Updated —

Leaving the ad hominem aside - Those would be the correct options, not just stuff you read from the back of a cereal box.