Sonovation Frequency Compression

Does anyone have experience with Sonovation aids? My left ear has gone “dead” at 2000 hertz and above (-90dB or greater). I have hearing at 250Hz of -10dB, at 500Hz it’s -50dB, at 1000Hz it’s -60dB. I was thinking (my audie also mentioned) of trying frequency compression to pick up the mid and high frequencies I’m missing.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

i believe is call frequency transposition,
and I would try Widex Inteo, just beacuse it is a bigger company.
Be aware, there is an adaptation time, as most pleople feel that
tha instrument sounds odd… But it has been proven that speech
disc. does indeed improve…

Inteo had not been a hughe comercial sucess

HOTELS IN MEXICO

The Sonnovation and Widex Inteo offer some form of frequency transposition, that is, taking high frequency information and moving it into lower frequencies where patients can take better advantage of the information. This is an effective and viable option for individuals with very limited “usable” hearing in the high frequencies. I have had positive experiences using this techonology. Additionally, one of my colleagues who is at the Mayo Clinic, has done some research with very positive results for these non-traditional hearing aids. If you opt to try them, be sure you have a sufficient trial period so that you have the time to adapt. The sound is certainly somewhat different than standard amplification.

I believe that Phonak will be going into this field also with the Naida.

I believe they also have a patent. See below:

US 7,248,711 B2 Method for frequency transposition and use of the method in a hearing device and a communication device Silvia Allegro, Oetwil am See (Switzerland); Olegs Timms, Zurich (Switzerland); Adam Hersbach, The Patch (Australia); Hugh McDermott, Mt. Macedon (Australia); and Evert Dijkstra, Fontaines (Switzerland) Assigned to Phonak AG, Stafa (Switzerland) Filed on Mar. 05, 2004, as Appl. No. 10/794,912. Application 10/794912 is a continuation in part of application No. 10/383142, filed on Mar. 06, 2003, abandoned. Prior Publication US 2004/0264721 A1, Dec. 30, 2004 Int. Cl. H04R 25/00 (2006.01) U.S. Cl. 381—316 [381/317; 381/320] 24 Claims 1. A method for frequency transposition in a hearing device or in a communication device, respectively, comprising the steps of transforming an acoustical signal into an electrical signal and transforming the electrical signal from time domain into frequency domain to obtain a spectrum, applying a frequency transposition to the entire spectrum in order to obtain a transposed spectrum as an output signal, wherein the frequency transposition is at least partially defined by a nonlinear frequency transposition function and wherein the electrical signal is not superposed with the output signal.
This aside, frequency transposition is a very difficult thing to accomplish and make sounds “natural” at the same time. In fact, it may be impossible to make sounds “natural” or as you remember them. Yet, if the goal is to improve speech discrimination, which should be the goal, then whatever helps you to understand speech better should be the route taken, with less emphasis on the “naturalness” that we focus a lot on in traditional fittings.

interesting, i would have never expected phonak to get into this field

i would have like to see if they will be a comercial sucess. In general,

people reject the Freq. transp. aids - What I would like to see if they

will come up with a special algorithm or something to identify dead cell region…

I would expect something very good from them… Perhaps guys from widex

are now begging to feel the heat (would it be the beggining of the end for them?)

Box Vaporizers

:smiley:
Thanks to everyone who provided input to this discussion. My question was answered very well!

Brad