Sonova & Costco redux?

Oh come on. Can you imagine someone trying to conduct a ‘scientific’ study–that is, math based and using demonstrable measurements–for what is essentially a series of experiences from 10,000 different hearing aid users? It can’t be done. It would all come back to what’s been called above “anecdote”–that is, some folks had a positive experience at costco and some didn’t. And the reverse concerning independent providers. In short, you’d ‘measure’ anecdotal info.

1 Like

All three of the audiologists I’ve seen at Costco have been hugely disappointed about Phonak/Sonova HAs being withdrawn. My current audiologist noted that Phonak remained very responsive to warranty returns and questions and were great to work with.

Dr Cliff’s ‘vendetta’ against Costco and barely disguised glee at the KS10 issue illustrates the point you make - Costco is a huge hearing aid dispenser combining quality, price and - apparently - a level of service the public like well enough to keep coming back. I saw somewhere he’s looking at the next phase of his career, post audiology. Some kind of business guru and inspirational speaker…

3 Likes

Some of you should really listen to why he feels the way he does about Costco. It ain’t about their pricing either which no can compete with the simple buy so mo many aids in bulk.

If your new customers say they had a bad experience at a retailer, well your opinion is made. I don’t care who you are, you will form an opinion about said competitor. He even stated his own first person experience with them.

With that said, take EVERYTHING with a grain (or 2) of salt.

I’d pretty much always take what I hear on You Tube with a small bag of salt :smile:. Including Dr Cliff.

2 Likes

I hope to heaven this rumor is true. I have loved my KS9s since the day I got them but now worry about what to do if they fail or can’t be updated to new hearing tests. Tried the KS10s and turned them back in, not that anything was wrong, but they weren’t any better than the 9s for my use. Now I’m sorry I did that just because they’d be that much newer.

I hate the idea of losing the way the Phonaks deal with phone calls. Have even spent some time thinking of ways to be able to afford the Lumity.

I disagree. An independent researcher could systematically collect data from a group of consumers (it wouldn’t have to be 10,000), analyze the results, and come to a conclusion that would be much more trustworthy than individual anecdotes. However, I agree that this won’t be done because Cliff’s group and other audiological associations would be worried about the unpredictability of the results.

Issue was always the charger, nothing else. If you want a fix buy a Phonak charger and it all goes away, it’s what I did. I then swapped to a Phonak Audiologist for convenience and he has improved them further with tuning and fitting.

Unlike Doctor Cliff he doesn’t have any of the inherent Costco bioses. Dr Cliff is pointless listening when it comes to Costco.

My new Audi has been brilliant, I now have a Roger On pen too. Everything that’s compatible with Paradise P90s work with the KS10s, they are identical functionally.

2 Likes

Yesterday I had my first eye exam in several years … in a Costco. The optometrist’s office was right next to the Hearing Center. He’s been there for years and, like the Hearing Center, the first available appointment is 2-3 weeks out.

1 Like

I had one of my KS9’s fail a few weeks ago. Obviously out of warranty. Costco sent them out and I got them back yesterday. Took 15 days from when I gave them to Costco.The cost was $200. Much less than new aids and I am very happy with them. Not sure how long they will be able to do this but I hope it goes on for many years. LOL
I live 100 miles from costco but it is still worth the drive.

6 Likes