Software

I have the beltone true 17 cic HAs and would like to be able to programme them myself.I have experience with Siemens connexx software.Anyone know if its possible to get hold of the solus pro software.

Probably not legally licensed.

The major hearing aid vendors (with the possible exception of Siemens) keep the programming software for their latest hearing aids restricted to just their dealers. Some vendors have downloads of their older software, but they usually were meant only for their professionals.

Probably not legally licensed.

The major hearing aid vendors (with the possible exception of Siemens) keep the programming software for their latest hearing aids restricted to just their dealers. Some vendors have downloads of their older software, but they usually were meant only for their professionals.

Perahps you have misunderstood ‘I have experiance with siemens connexx’
In the past a lot of the software was readily available for download untill 2010 when it was graded “medical”.Some software is still available for download ie:-Aventa.
Aventa by GN Resound is an identical software to Solus except of course it does not have the Beltone model data base but is freely available for download from their site
and as you are probably aware GN Resound ‘aka’ Beltone.

Beltone software is propitiatory so even if beltone HA’s are made by ReSound, ReSound software will not work on Beltone HA’s.

The only way you will be able to adjust Beltone HA’s is if you somehow get a copy of Beltone software and the only people who have Beltone software are Beltone offices.

This is what I understood but I bought my Beltones from a large ‘non Beltone’ nation wide company having many country wide outlets with Beltone being one of the many makes of hearing aids on offer so obviously the aids and software is not just exclusive to Beltone offices.To professional audiologists yes maybe so is this GN Resound "spreading their wings"and enlarging their customer base.

So . . . you didn’t buy your Beltones from Beltone? I’m confused.

I did not misunderstand. You can find Phonak iPFG software for download, for example. All the newer Phonak Spice+ aids require Target software 2.0 or greater. Phonak Target software is only available to Phonak hearing professionals.

As others have said, you would need Beltone specific software. Starkey does something similar with their brands. To program my Micro Tech aids, you need Micro Tech software. Starkey software cannot program my aids even though Micro Tech software can program Starkey aids.

It is a way of differentiating, similar to how you can sometimes get a particular model of computer only from a single store chain.

From a dedicated Beltone franchised outlet no.From Beltone yes (albeit G N Resound)

If your hearing aid says Beltone, then only Beltone software will work to program it, not ReSound (even though it’s the same chip). I’ve never heard of a “dedicated Beltone franchise outlet” and not have it be Beltone. Beltone is Beltone.

Manufacturers only do things that they think will increase profits. That’s good capitalism.

Restricting software is part of what gets the brand recommended by the professionals.

Unrestricted access to a brand’s software could ultimately result in more retail price competition as self fitters would only be interested in buying hardware at the lowest price.

This policy is defended by self serving BS. Sorry but that’s my personal uptake of the economic forces in the industry. The HA industry is no different then any other business. The participants must make a reasonable return on investment of education, skill, time and money. Restricting access is standard business practice. Ed ( did I ruffle any feathers?) Ed

Perahps this will help clear up what was meant

How to Become a Beltone Franchisee

Beltone is an international hearing aid distributor that sells Beltone brand products. Beltone does not actually manufacture their hearing aids. Instead, it purchases hearing aids manufactured by GN Resound through a resale and branding agreement that allows Beltone to sell GN Resound products as its own brand. To become a Beltone franchisee, you must purchase a Beltone practice or franchise. Franchisors must comply with federal franchise laws administered by the Federal Trade Commission. Designed to protect franchisees from deceptive sales practices used by franchisors, the FTC enforces the federal Franchise Rule, which requires franchisors to provide specific disclosures before entering into franchise sales agreements with prospective franchisees

Ask the Beltone representative if your proposed territory is available for purchase. Beltone franchisees have exclusive rights to open Beltone centers within limited territories. You may only purchase a franchise if there is no existing Beltone center within your limited territory. Limited territorial boundaries depend on geography. In other words, in a high-density urban area, you may have more opportunities to open a Beltone franchise

Okay. Yes I understand what a Beltone office is, I guess I had never heard it explained quite like you initially did - as a Beltone franchise. My bad.

Either way, ReSound software will not program a Beltone hearing aid.

Not when the underdog suffers in not being able to hear because of this policy. It is outlawed in a lot of countries . It amounts to colusion

It is not collusion. For collusion free competition would have to be limited.

Controlling the distribution and licensing of software vital to the setup or operation of a product is normal business. Go to a car dealer and ask them for all the software and manuals that their technicians use to repair your car. It is exactly the same thing, a manufacturer of a product has software their franchisees use to “work on” the product and it is not meant for or distributed to the end consumer (I know some shop manuals are available, but it is still not exactly what the dealer has access to).

You might be able to back into it some way, depending on the brand, but I would guess Beltone would be one of the harder ones to get.

Another extreme example, let’s say you buy an MRI machine. Do you think you should have access to the setup software?

I would like to have the software at home and the connection equipment, and make some minor changes sometimes, but I completely understand why the industry doesn’t want that to happen.

ever buy software for computers… most charge you a yearly maint fee and every year you get a new key you have to put into the software for it to continue to run.

It is not about capitalism or collusion it is about their reputation. Every company want their product programmed and adjusted by licensed and trained people. If you do it yourself and make a mess out of the programing, you are going to say Beltone makes a bad hearing aid. They want to prevent that and give their users the best products.

Gee born yesterday.

Manufacturers must maintain the loyalty of their purveyors…be it sewing machines or hearing aids.

Restricting software access is one of many ways of controlling distribution and therefore ulimately dealer profits.

Profitability equals dealer loyalty in every retail industry…aids sales are no different. The professional must pay the office rent and overhead and make a reasonable return on investment in education and time. Note: don’t see any audiologists-dispensers getting rich. IMO Ed

Restricting software access is one of many ways of controlling distribution and therefore ulimately dealer profits.

Agree. They have the right to control the distribution of their products.

Profitability equals dealer loyalty in every retail industry…aids sales are no different. The professional must pay the office rent and overhead and make a reasonable return on investment in education and time. Note: don’t see any audiologists-dispensers getting rich.

I’m sure many do quite well, but so what? Why is it OK for a lawyer to charge $500 hr and charge for even sniffing in your direction, but not OK for an audiologist who went to school just as long?

there are also legal issues, I can think of many scenarios where someone could get hurt.
Who would take responsibility for this?

Hi. Maybe you have a program to configure Beltone hearing aids? I really need it. I would appreciate the help.