Smoke Alarms

Does anyone here use smoke / fire alarms for the hearing impaired installed in your home ?
If so, what do you use, and where can I purchase this.

Thanx
Laura

0 Likes

Hi Laura,

Mine are standard alarms as they’re bloomin’ loud and fine for me.

However, you can get alarms that have a strobe light and also have the ability to connect to a trembler device that will shake a bed.

My advice would be to contact your local fire department. They will have suggestions on reputable suppliers or perhaps may even be able to supply alarms free of charge or at a reduced price.

Googling ‘smoke alarm strobe trembler’ will throw up a multitude of results.

0 Likes

I have this pager system. It vibrates on me during the day and at night, will vibrate my bed.

1 Like

Zebras, What is the name of that pager and where did you find it?

0 Likes

Thank you for replying. Great idea about the fire department. I will look into that. I was shocked when I realized that I could not hear the alarms. I stood right underneath the alarm with my hearing aids in, and could not hear them. I had just assumed with them being so loud, like you said, that I would be able to hear them. I’ve been searching on line and did find some that have a strobe light and a alarm combined. These look to be pretty good. My husband has normal hearing, so I can depend on him, but I would also like to have something in addition to the alarm, in case he is away from home.

0 Likes

I wonder if the alarm tone is being muted by noise management in the HAs.

You could also see whether it’s possible to obtain an alarm that outputs a tone at a frequency to which you have the most sensitivity.

Strobe and tremble device would give you a belt and braces approach.

0 Likes

I was shocked and concerned a few years ago when my smoke alarm went off during the night, wound up being a false alarm, and I didn’t hear it AT ALL. I do not wear my hearing aids at night in bed. My husband got up to check on the alarm and I finally heard it. If I’d been home alone, and there was a fire, it could have been bad! I then purchased a Loudenlow alarm (loudenlow.com) because I have a high frequency loss, and it’s not just the volume of the alarm but the frequency of the alarm that matters. They are quite expensive though. At that time I was working, and able to purchase them using my FSA. They do work though, for my hearing, and I can hear it well when it goes off. More recently, I have searched for any newer ones that have a lower frequency alarm, but still unable to find any. I don’t understand why more companies are not looking at this. I know it takes more power, and a larger speaker, but that obviously can be done. In fact, anyone with any electronics experience could do something similar to the ones I have, and we recently had to update the actual smoke alarm part on one of mine. I plan to do the same with the other one soon as the alarms themselves were past the dates to change. Take a look at these, especially if you have a high frequency loss, which is quite common.

0 Likes

It’s called a Bellman And Symfon Pager System. Not sure if it’s only available in the UK.

0 Likes

Hi
Thank you for responding.
I did go to the website for loudenlow that you linked.
I liked that they have a demo that you can listen to for the low C alarm.
I heard it well, with my hearing aids in. Once I took my hearing aids out, I could not hear it at all. Like you, I remove my hearing aids at night.
I read articles on the strobe lights, but it appears they really do not work. I think I’m going to look at the bed / pillow shakers next.
Thanx for your help.
Laura

0 Likes

Thank you Zebras. I will see what I can find.
Found it on Amazon

1 Like

You may have some dead regions above 2k. Do you use frequency compression?

0 Likes

This is a very important question for me. The local fire department advises everyone to check one’s smoke alarm every time I reset my clocks when it changes to or from Daylight Saving Time. I did this last night and noticed that I could hardly hear any of the three alarms that I have installed in my house with HA’s and I can hear nothing without them… I am 83 and live alone and have ‘profound’ hearing loss. This to me is a very “alarming” situation and I am wondering if there is a solution. The answer to me would be an alarm clock with a Bed Shaker that listens for the sound of a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm going off and shakes you out of a deep sleep. However I can’t find anything similar anywhere on the Internet (even Amazon).

0 Likes

Hi Gramps,
Did you check out the for Louden low website, that PSPS linked above in her response.
They have a low c smoke alarm.
I could hear that with my aids in but I could not hear it at all with them out.
You may be able to.
But they are very expensive.
I could not find any that I can hear with my aids out.
Like you, I will probably look at a bed shaker or strobe light.
However in my searching, I did read articles that they did not work really well. Until we can try them, we won’t know.
Laura

0 Likes

So what you are looking for is something like this:Lifetone Bedside Vibrating Fire Alarm and Clock

Harris Communications has some other alarm systems as well, their shipping to Canada looks a little expensive, but it will give you the names of items you can search for.

1 Like

Thank you pathurley and Laura_B

My hearing is bad enough that with the Louden sound samples I find that none would be really loud enough if my HAs are out and I am sound asleep. The Deluxe version of the Louden might work by transmitting the lower vibrations, but because I am a very sound sleeper, it would probably not be enough.

So I am looking at the Lifetone system and it looks to be a bit more of what I am looking for. The bed shaker always works for me (I have one with my Sonic Bomb alarm clock and it is very effective). But I would have to replace my smoke alarms with T3 alarms (they have 3 tones followed by a pause, then repeated). A bit expensive, but nothing is worth being burned alive in my own house!

0 Likes

You may find that your alarms are T3 already, they have been the standard in the US since 1996 and from what I can find part of Canada’s national building code since 1995.

And if you detectors are more then 10 years old they should be replaced anyways ( can you tell I work in the Fire Service).

0 Likes

I just wanted to add that the sound you hear on the demo on your computer is dependent upon the loudness of your computer speaker, etc. The demo is mostly for the tone, and not the loudness. These are LOUD! I once was coming home from hunting, and could hear something as I was approaching the house - realized it was the smoke alarm, and took off running for the house. Fortunately it was a false alarm, but it amazed me that I heard it outside about 60-70 yards away from the house (with my hearing aids on at that time).
I do hope you find a solution, as it is a very scary situation to realize you can’t hear the smoke alarms if they go off!

1 Like

0 Likes

I have decided to go for another Bellman product that the Canadian Hearing Society sells. It is described here:

1 Like