Smart Glasses for hearing impaired/deaf

Dave - I plan to keep posts coming. Starting to wonder if those who might benefit from this new technology need to start writing congress, medicare, heath officials, etc. demanding Medicare pick up the cost for Smart Glasses for the hearing impaired. Especially those who are over 65 who require glasses and hearing aids. At present I have no idea what the cost will be but as more competition comes into the picture - prices wil drop. In any case I really like what I’m reading here regarding XanderGlasse and the company Xander.

Just hope in time the “temple tip” of smart glasses are designed to fit with BTE aids. Which should be no problem.

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/smart-glasses-display-real-time-captions-for-people-with-hearing-loss

1 Like

You Sir - are in denial. And have yet to post any article to support your fabricated position.

Cvkemp - I am someone that have tried those things and they effect me the same as a 3D movie, I get dizzy and disoriented. I have always been that way. I also totally dislike video games.

I also wonder how someone’s general eyesight will function in tandem with reading closed-caption print. Its going to be a little tricky what percentage of glass less is general viewing and what percentage is CC. it appears with XanderGlasses, you can position the text in various lens locations.

So many positives here, but wonder if DMV will allow drivers to drive with Smart Glasses on, while CC is working?

2 Likes

They’re hoping for northern hemisphere spring- could be eleven months- and what they showed at CES was a mock-up so it’s basically a statement of intent at this point.

I’ve never seen a computer transcribe speech in apparent real time and they want to do it with a processor that fits in the frame of a pair of glasses? Hats off to them if they can do it.

Focal length? Unless they’ve got a way of automatically adjusting the text to be at the same distance as the speaker’s head it’s going to be a headache-inducing nightmare. Not to mention that you’ll look really, really weird. Unless there’s some very clever algorithms to move the text away from the speaker’s face (which there don’t seem to be), you’re going to have to keep your head very very still. Driving? Forget it. Multiple speakers? aargh!

Woah there, :angry: :angry: I deal with STT engine code today and in the past month and know what i am talking about here…

I can’t legally post anything we have found from our R&D team because it is proprietary to my employer.

PR is not a good way to evaluate a product, the only way is to test it…

They could use cellular data and a cloud server. That could also mean restrictions on usage in security sensitive environments.

1 Like

Yea, that’s going to be interesting to learn how they pull that off, with such limited frame space. Regarding smart glasses appearance - its still early in the game. Come back in a year or so with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Meta and Amazon’s smart glasses hitting the market and I bet you’ll have a hard time telling which is normal eye wear and what is smart glasses.

Driving - multiple speakers? One passenger - multiple speakers?
If you’re talking car speakers/audio - Smart Glasses were not designed to work with music.

My assumption at this point is that XanderGlasses will work well with one on one conversations, with the speaking party directly in front of you. Throw in four, five plus people talking in a room and I see “possible overload” regarding text printout.

But again lets see what the Big tech companies come out with. And with more competition coming, what might cost $1500 for Smart Glasses (now), might drop to under $800 in a year or two.

In our R&D playground, we have been experimenting with a offline speech to text engine, it is impressive but it lags behind some of the major cloud providers…

1 Like

@stevemink I meant multiple people speaking.
@ssa Well, there’s this.

“We’ve trained and are open-sourcing a neural net called Whisper that approaches human level robustness and accuracy on English speech recognition.”

1 Like

This is an awesome open source project, however this requires a server to run and the memory requirement is enormous for offline use.

Offline STT engine generally has a small memory footprint and do have a low compute complexity requirement

2 Likes

The “Hits” keep coming. When the dust finally settles on Smart Glass development/future sales, there will be multiple manufactures offering a wide range of Smart Glass choices. Which is really good news for buyers and lower prices down the road. Now we have RayNeo X2 made by TCL, featuring AR glasses, including language translation and GPS navigation.

1 Like

Really Cool, I believe this is definitely the way forward for people with severe/profound hearing loss, used in conjunction with ones HAs, it’ll be a game changer for sure, it’s moving pretty quickly now.

2 Likes

Layoff is happening, money losing project such as the smart glasses project are being gutted.

We cut project that aren’t viable all the time, sorry to say this but that the nature of the corporate world.

Oh no say it ain’t so, these people need more funding not less, Crowdfunding or something similar if they have to!

Wishful thinking but no, it needs continuous funding in millions of dollars…

I don’t think that I would wear them anyway because I have FOGROBT (fear of getting run over by a truck) while trying to read my glasses. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Elon Musk to the rescue, all they need to do is convince him the glasses will benefit the SpaceX Mars program, colonization of Mars will require these glasses!

Nah, he is going to implant his people with BCI which will send visual data directly to the brain!

Oh scary stuff, 1984 is coming true.

That why i go with at least one hearing devices on my ear :joy: