Singer Problems

If you’re getting feedback when you move your jaw then your molds don’t fit properly. You should never get any feedback

He volunteered MyMusic program and set it all up for me. Thank you.

I do have a kind of a slight white noise in my left ear (worse ear) in quiet situations. It’s weird. He said it was normal and I’d get used to it.I don’t remember it from the trial pair. Odd.

I tried some oticon hearing aids 8 years ago. Things may have changed since then with oticon, but there was no way for my audiologist to program the distortion out of the piano playing during my trial period. When I returned them at the end of the trial, I requested something more like the hearing aids I had before. Piano distortion problems were gone even with the same person programming them. I’ve heard widex has good technology to keep the A/D converter from clipping. Maybe you want to try that?

2 Likes

I’m a classical guitarist. I also frequent Association of Musicians With Hearing Loss on facebook. Believe me, this comes up a lot. Have a dedicated program with the feedback manager OFF, not turned down. I just went through this with my new HA’s. The standard Musician’s Program came with the Feedback manager turned as low as it could go, and I got tremendous warble from that setting. It’s a bit complicated to explain but super easy for your audiologist to do, perhaps with the help of an Oticon audi on the phone. Just explain to them both that if it doesn’t help (it will) you can simply turn the feedback manager on again. While you’re at it, turn off wind block and a number of other great features that audis and reps love because of how they help patients with speech. They all wreck music.
compression control has to be disabled as well. You want all those overtones, right? And a range of sound from high to low well beyond what speech compression allows.

If you visit the Adults Musician site, enquire about a handy and brief pdf that reputable audis put together concerning adjusting aids for live performers. it make a world of difference. Night and day. And all easy to do, if you can find an audi who will help.

2 Likes

You might ask your audi to decrease the gain on your left h/a at the higher frequencies to see if that minimizes that white noise.

Sound like the MyMusic program got you sorted, too.
Take notes, keep a journal, and go back for adjustments, if needed, until you are satisfied.

The More aids can do the job, it’s up to the fitter to make it happen.
You have to stay with it.

1 Like

I’m having trouble linking. Just google Association of adult musicians with hearing loss.

2 Likes

Small world. I’m a Julie are trained opera singer. I now teach singing. When you are singing you need to either turn down the hearing aid volume in your app, or use my music. One of my students who is a professional also has the more ones. He uses my music program exclusively. I use the general program and I’ll turn down my volume if I have to sing. It really is an easy problem.

1 Like

Hello Musician, I have Oticon opn1. I was wondering if you found a solution to hear better when singing? Thank you.

Are you already using the OPN 1 built-in Music program? It’s not the newer MyMusic program only available on the More or later. It’s the original legacy Music program. Some people actually prefers this to the new MyMusic. If not, give it a try. It sounds a lot more open with less noise suppression and other types of processing compared to the default program.

1 Like

Thank you. I am going to give it a try.

It’s not automatically available for you. You will need to get an HCP to select and assign it to one of the 4 programs before you can choose that program and use it. If you’re a DIY for Oticon, you can do it yourself in Genie 2.

But do go into the ON app or the iPhone MFI menu to see if you’re lucky and it’s already installed in one of the programs already without you knowing it.

I definitely have to turn it down when I’m singing. It’s too loud and the overtones I produce drive it crazy.

turn off all compression as well as feedback manager programs in your dedicated musician program.

1 Like

my guy did that knowing I’m a musician. But you have to understand, the amplitude for an opera singer is off the charts.

2 Likes

That’s what he did. He said he turned off compression. Thank you very much.

I’m not sure what your audi means by this. In the Oticon Genie 2 software that controls the Oticon HA settings, there’s really no “compression” value that your audi can simply DIRECTLY just “turns on or off”. At least not that I’m aware of.

If you look at the screenshot below for the Genie 2 Fine Tuning page for an example MyMusic program, it shows the gains at each of the frequency handle for Soft, Medium and Loud, and the CR (Compression Ratio) in between the 3 gain values for each frequency handle. The gains are adjustable, but the Compression Ratio (CR) is NOT adjustable, it’s just a resulting value based on how your gains are prescribed by Genie 2 based on your audiogram and fitting selections and personal profiles and features, etc.

So my question to your audi is, if CR cannot be directly adjusted, how was he able to “turn off” the compression??? By the way, turn off here simply means change it to 1.0 → no compression. The only way to do it is not by changing the value of the compression ratio because it’s not adjustable. The only way to change it is by changing the value of gain of one loudness knee point with respect to the other in the same frequency band. But note that if you BLINDLY just change your gain values simply to get a CR result of 1, you’ll in no time TOTALLY modify/destroy your (carefully prescribed by Genie 2) gain curves for Soft, Medium and Loud.

The MyMusic program is already designed to achieve minimal compression ratios as much as possible, but it doesn’t mean that Genie 2 can simply “turn it off” completely and totally. Now if you’re a DIY (like @flashb1024 ) who doesn’t like his MyMusic gains setting, you can go in there and methodically experiment with changing your gain curves to your liking until you achieve what you’re looking for. But that doesn’t mean that all his CR values end up being exactly at 1.0 (correct me if I’m wrong, @flashb1024 ). So if you’re not a DIY, then you can work with your audi to methodically experiment with your Fine Tuning gain curves for the MyMusic program to make it sound better for you. But don’t just accept your audi’s comment that he’s already turned off all compression for you in MyMusic because as far as I can tell, the Compression Ratio in Genie 2 is NOT editable DIRECTLY.

Below is a link to a thread a couple of years ago that discusses compression, if you’re interested in trying to understand better what compression is and how it helps, and why it’s not simply a parameter that one can willy nilly turn on or off without taking many different other parameters into consideration. In this thread, the audi simply blamed his client’s issue (left ear performance sounds flat) on “bad compression” done by Oticon in the left ear adjustment. I think that was a gross generalization of blame, and I asked the OP to get the Fine Tuning print out from his audi to confirms whether it’s really due to “bad” compression like his audi said or not. I never heard back about that, though.

1 Like

@Volusiano: Exactly, Mr V…Exactly! (bring back memories??)
Quite right, we have no way to alter compression ratios.
The 1st iteration of the OPN platform using the older Genie fitting software did have that ability.
Oticon developed the original music program, and felt the default provided the proper compression levels, so they disabled programmable compression.
Now, with the More MyMusic debacle, the powers that be deermed it essential to institute the Harmon Curve for MyMusic, because they found 70% of the people they interviewed preferred the emphasized bass & treble of the Harmon.
Of course, the 30% who don’t agree are left to their own devices.
Hence, DIY for me.
Anyway, back on track, @Volusiano next time you take a screenshot of your MyMusic fitting graph, could you click on the “dB” icon?
That’ll bring up the separate plotting for Soft/Moderate/Loud curves, and you’ll see how Oticon shaped the program.
Luckily it can be tweaked, but you will induce a bit more compression, but also achieve more “Air”
I don’t even know where I’m going with this, so Later!

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a good tip I learned from you today, @flashb1024 ! It sure gives a nice visual graphical representation of the curves to look at. Pictures are worth a thousand words (I mean numbers) here!

2 Likes

nm no message to post

Glad it was helpful to you, V.
You have have contributed much to this forum, and to me, as well.

1 Like