Singer Huey Lewis cancels 2018 shows

Huey Lewis has cancelled all upcoming Huey Lewis and the News performances in light of his hearing loss and subsequent diagnosis of Meniere’s disease. In a note, Lewis said, “Although I can still hear a little, one on one, and on the phone, I can’t hear music well enough to sing. The lower frequencies distort violently making it impossible to find pitch… I’m going to concentrate on getting better, and hope that one day soon I’ll be able to perform again.”

Meniere’s can be pretty disabling, though there are a number of treatment options (from OTC meds to surgery). Someone needs to invite him to the forums!

How ironic. Attending one of his concerts in my hometown many years ago may well have led to my eventual need for hearing aids. They were so loud that people in the audience were literally getting sick. The news reported that scores of new patients were showing up at ENT offices around the city afterward. I did not get physically sick, but I was dang near deaf for a few days and swore off live concerts for the rest of my days. I liked his music, but only when I had control over the volume!! :-0

I would be willing to bet Huey had hearing loss before the Meniere’s disease. The number of musicians with significant hearing loss is staggering; some use hearing protection and some do not. As a kid I was told by my ENT to avoid shooting guns, never go to rock concerts and use ear protection whenever using power tools. Kinda ironic that Huey is loosing his hearing from Meniere’s and more than likely listening to his bands noise over the years after his line in Back to the Future where he tells Marty and his band they can’t play at the school dance because “Your just to darn loud!”

Brian Johnson (AC;DC) is in the same boat as are a few others. It’s a hazard of the profession - especially those around before wearing monitor moulds was considered ‘cool’.