Signia Stretta Up NHS UK

I’m currently wearing Phonak Audeo aids, but today I had moulds made at Specsavers for NHS aids and the audiologist said they will be the Signia Stretta UP.

As far as I can see, they are only rechargeable, but that seems unlikely for NHS aids. Also, I’m using open domes and they are fitting silicone moulds for both ears and I’m wondering how I will adapt. I don’t think I really need moulds for my left ear, although I probably do for my right ear.

If these don’t work out I’ll have to get private aids again: Specsavers offer a Phonak Lumity 90 aid, and with another provider I’ve looked at the Oticon Real or Intent. If anyone has any thoughts on any of this, I’d be grateful!

Personally, I would look at the positives of this. You have a free set of hearing aids that are essentially good tech. I assume it has telecoil, bluetooth, supported by assistive devices - such as a TV streamer/app etc and you should be getting REM, i.e. a good fit. There are advocates of Signia, for example @tenkan on this forum.

I am unsure what your needs are, age etc. I am older, so have a more sedentary lifestyle, but still want hearing aids that perform in noise, and a fairly high tech spec. This being the case, I go private and get NHS hearing aids as a back up. But I don’t think the Signia is going to be a million miles away from a Lumity or other premium hearing aids, but the very latest Phonak (Sphere) or Oticon Intent I would think would be superior.

1 Like

Possibly, but only the user will know for sure, Signia were first to use two dedicated processors working in parallelis, not quite the AI Smarts, we’ll need the next platform release for this, I’m not expecting these new buzz words to be much of a game changer in the real world, ya know still gotta pass through the damaged cochlea and brain processing etc

1 Like

The NHS gave me a choice of battery or rechargeable (hospital not specsavers)

Just one note, if going private, I understand Specsavers lock their aids, so self programming won’t be easy/possible
Peter

1 Like

That’s all good information, thank you.

I’m 70 and sheltering from getting covid (again) so I’m not around in cafés or the like, or not inside anyway. I do have family around - four of us live in the house (husband, son, daughter-in-law, and me) and the tv is often on, so performing in some level of noise is helpful! Also I’m learning German and have three or four chats or lessons a week online. Hearing all the consonants would be helpful!

It does seem like the NHS aids might be good enough, although I think I need to buy a separate device for streaming. As you say, if they don’t work out they will be a good backup if I need private aids.

1 Like

It’s a pity about the self-programming, but I’ll take what I can get. I hope I get a choice of battery or rechargeable!

1 Like

Gina,

Where (roughly) in the UK are you? The website for SpacSavers here (Oxfordshire) say they don’t offer NHS hearing aids but my GP seems to think they do.

I’m currently trialing some Phonak Audéo Lumity from Boots but these are private and eye wateringly expensive.

1 Like

They do as I live in Oxfordshire as well and my Step Mum has NHS Aids from Specsavers.

She was given none Bluetooth Signia so she also wears Phonak Marvel which I self program for her.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’ll give them a go (but I’m under 55 which has ruled me out of a few other options).

I’m in Epsom. My husband got his aids from Specsavers. I think the wait is shorter than for a hospital audiology department.

Private aids are indeed eyewateringly expensive. I’m looking at Oticon Real and they are something like £3,500 and up. (The new Oticon Intent aren’t much dearer, but you can only get rechargeable.)

1 Like

Unless rules have changed, you have to be over 55 to get NHS Aids from Specsavers. That was when my Step Mum first got referred so things could have changed.

1 Like
1 Like