Siemens Pure 7px Primax .vs. Oticon OPNs

So I tried a pair of Siemens today. They worked well in a short demo. They did not seem as comfortable as Alta 2 Pro T MiniRite. Have not demo-ed OPNs yet. What I could tell from the programming screen is that they had 10-12 independent Freq adjustments. It seemed like Oticon Alta 2 had like 3 independent adjustments that moved multiple Freq at the same time. I was told that a great feature of the Purs 7px Primax. The Pures also have 6 programs compared to 4 on the OPNs. Also I noticed the receiver part in the ear was much larger on the Pure. I hope to demo the OPNs before deciding. It would be a bunch simpler is the same dealer sold both. We are an hour and 1/2 from either Dealer.

Would like to hear any thoughts.

M

All these hearing aids have far more gain control handles than you can possibly use. Alta2 Pro Ti has 10 handles, Pure 7px has 20 handles, and Opn has 16 handles. In most cases, 3 or 4 is sufficient to address common sound quality complaints.

Actually no, 3-4 will cover most losses but doesn’t give you enough resolution to deal with specific resonance problems. An aid without a 750 Hz handle is more difficult to tune for occlusion/ampclusion (horrible word), while not having narrow band options around 3khz means you can’t tune out excess receiver resonance especially on marginal feedback problems. IMHO 10-12 bands are about right, more than that and it starts to get unnecessarily fiddly unless the software is good at managing-down the channels.

It’s nice to have additional handles, but many fitters won’t have the time or inclination to pinpoint and adjust very narrow frequency ranges. In fact, I’m seeing more people using the simplified tuning controls that are available in some software packages rather than fiddling with the gain matrix. These adjustments (softer/sharper, fuller/brighter, etc.) are essentially two bands. Not saying this is a good thing, but 10-12 bands is at the other end of the scale. It seems the OP’s fitter was using 3 bands when programming the Oticon device.

Very possibly, but that’s no excuse if you’re dealing with frequency specific issues. The dumbing down of controls/use of wizards helps people who don’t understand the effects of remodelling the frequency spectrum; these people probably didn’t find themselves in the top 50% of their class…

What questions do you ask the Audi to determine if they do have the top skills? Or is there any way to get a good referral? As a lawyer, you get referrals from other lawyers as to who is really good for what you need.

Would i I be better to go to Mayo or University of FL. Maybe find a University Aud program? I now see an Aud D in a nonprofit clinic which also provides HAs on a sliding scale according to ability to pay. I pay full price which supports the mission.

— Updated —

What questions do you ask the Audi to determine if they do have the top skills? Or is there any way to get a good referral? As a lawyer, you get referrals from other lawyers as to who is really good for what you need.

Would i I be better to go to Mayo or University of FL. Maybe find a University Aud program? I now see an Aud D in a nonprofit clinic which also provides HAs on a sliding scale according to ability to pay. I pay full price which supports the mission.

This is what the Siemens guy gave me comparing. Not sure if any of it matters except how well each sounds in my ear.

Please feel free to comment and thanks to those who have responded.

M

I am wondering why you are deciding on Behind The Ear AIDS with your level of loss, and also choosing an exalted level of power? It’s a bit like taking a Ferrari to the supermarket when a sedan would be more suited.

Red

You have lost me… :?