Siemens Pure 7bx vs. Widex CLEAR 440

In my effort to purchase new HAs I have narrowed down my choices to the Siemens Pure 7bx vs. Widex CLEAR 440 either in a RIC or RITE. I had been considering Phonak Audeo V90 but the local vendors for that product are not worthy of my business which I won’t get into in this thread.

What I hope to get out of this thread is to get some food for thought on the key differences between these two products. I know that in the end it’s going to mostly boil down to my subjective experience but I still think it would be good to understand how the products differ in substantive ways and make the best choice about which product I choose to evaluate initially. So any input in this regard would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

why widex clear, not dream? Have you yet tried them? Widex and Siemens sound, in my experience, very different, so this will very much depend on your personal preference. In case you meant dream, not clear, I can give you my personal comparison of both.

@Musician_72 - I did mean the Clear but I wondered about Dream myself and plan to ask the Audi about that. I would love to hear your thoughts on why you think the Dream might be a better choice. Your loss doesn’t look so bad, why would you be using or considering Dream?

I’ve heard that before on this forum about the difference in sound with Widex/Siemens. Would you mind explaining that a bit? I’m currently on my 3rd set of Siemens since my CIC Prisma in '99. Someone said I may not like Widex because I’m used to the softness or something to that effect of the Siemens. That doesn’t concern me because I’m sure I can get used to something different if it makes sense. I want to be able to hear better in challenging environments and on the phone. I think my bias will be whichever accomplishes that the best.

Hi,

the dream is the latest platform, so I wondered why you consider the clear vs. binax (which is the very latest from siemens).

What the dream has and the clear not is a higher possible input level. With live music, you often have peaks above 100 dB, and the widex dream can process them undistorted (even if they make the sounds softer afterwards).

Both dream and clear come in different powers, so it doesn´t have something to do with the hearing loss which one you choose, rather with the kind of input the ha´s should handle.

However, I didn´t like the sound of the widex at all. It sounded very much like a small transistor radio or a speaker in a tin can or something. I tested them with loud music, and yes: They really don´t distort. I don´t want to confuse you: I´m looking for my first hearing aid, and my audi said: Widex isn´t for beginners! So if you are an experienced user, they might be really good for you, they weren´t for me.

I liked the siemens much better, they sound very natural, when I wore them I often forgot that I wore an aid at all. Siemens are great for speech in noise. In fact, the only thing that didn´t work with siemens was live music (including my own piano-playing and singing), so I won´t buy them (testing bernafon right now), but apart from that I really liked the siemens.

Widex sounded unnatural in all situations. I´ve even had an REM done with the widex, because I couldn´t believe that a brand that advertises excellent sound sounded so bad, and really: compared with an NAL-NL2 target, widex over-amplified the target quite heavily from 1 to 2 kHz. It´s hard to compare widex to any official target, as they use a proprietary fitting formula, but it showed objectively that the widex perform very very different to other hearing aids (my audi was astonished).

The useability is, in my opinion, far superior on the siemens, too. Siemens has (for the bte reciever in channel, medium size) a rocker switch. You can configure, for instance: left aid: volume up and down, right aid: program up and down. You can´t do that with the widex, they only have a button. If you want program change + volume control, you cannot use the widex witout a remote control.

I haven´t tested telophone (i use the phone without aid), and I haven´t tested streaming.

It all boils up to being a very subjective choice, take you time to test those devices carefully! In my opinion, they are very different.

Best regards,

Musician_72

I misinterpreted what the Dream is. I think I saw it in a different context (BTE models) so I somehow got the impression it was aimed towards profound hearing loss. So maybe thinking the Clear is my error rather than the Audi. I’m glad you straightened me out on that.

I think I might know what you’re talking about with the Widex not being for beginners. Was the widex really bothersome when you heard yourself speak, as if the sound was vibrating or reverberating rapidly in your ears and REALLY irritating? I remember that happening when I went to my second set of Siemens and learned that I was just hearing frequencies that I wasn’t used to. The audi said to try and get used to it and I did and it went away even though nothing changed. So as you gain experience through years of wearing HAs and graduating to new and better, you start to realize that sometimes it’s better for the user to adjust rather than the HAs. That said I know how irritating it can be but hopefully the audi has the wisdom to deal with that in a way that you’re not getting robbed of performance that’s not being taken advantage of. Now I’m really looking forward to trying the Widex since I’ve used Siemens for the last 16 years. Thanks for the input!

My experience with the Widex was similar to Musician_72’s. The Widex Dream 440 RIC I tried produced very unnatural sound, turning the fresh air vent into white noise and voices into robots. I do not know if that’s something I would get used to.

Widex’s formula is similar to NAL-NL1, but they recently added NL2 support to their software, so you might want to give them another try if you prefer NL2 targets.