Siemens Cielo?

Hi,
I’ve had a pair of Cielos for about 18 months. Today, one lost about 50% of its’ gain suddenly. This is the 3rd time this has happened in 18 months. Siemens doesn’t repair them. They just exchange it for a new unit. This tells me that this must be a design or manufacturing flaw. Every other aid I’ve worn over the last 30 years has always gone 4 or more years without a glitch.

When the warranty is up, I guess I’ll have to buy another set of aids, which fits my budget as well water mixes with oil. Is this typical for Siemens? Has anyone else had this problem, and will Siemans do something more than just replace a poorly designed aid with another?

Very frustrating. I bought these because of the Siemens name. I can’t imagine myself ever buying from them again.

some instruments are like that, however when buying a replacing one
siemens should be able to provide you with a very reasonable exchange price… it is perhaps to best contact them directly

Buy Bubblers

Just a follow up to this old post. I want to be fair.

I had bought my Cielos on line from a place in Colorado. I live in Florida.

The problem was, that about once a year, or less, the aids would go to 50% power. They didn’t die altogether. I looked them over for obvious things, like drops of sweat in the tubes, or mics getting plugged with wax. I never saw anything.

I would send them to the dispenser, and they would confirm the loss of gain, and could never find the cause either. Siemans would send me a brand new aid, and the whole thing would happen again in 6 to 12 months.

Last week, it happened again. I made arraigments to send it back. In the mean time I went to my local Audi to buy a stronger aid, I also had no spare.

I told him what the problem aid was doing, and the history of both aids doing that. He rolled his eyes and said “Give me that!” He took my aid, and in about 2 seconds, (maybe less) it was as good as new. He wouldn’t tell me or show me what he did. He was still in a little snit that I bought those aids on-line and not from him :rolleyes: Obviously, there must have been gunk or wax plugging up the mic, although I had already looked and didn’t see anything.

Anyway, it looks like the problem was not with the aids, but something simple. I just thought it was fair to mention this after what I wrote in the first post.

Except for the problem above, I like them a lot. And the problem appears to really have been with the original dispenser, and myself for not seeing something obvious.

Hi sgeise

While apparently not the case here, I have heard multiple people (including my Audiologist) say that Seimens HAs can have more reliability problems than other manufacturers. Although you have to admit that the Cielo is very popular, and they’ve sold a bunch of them. I suspect that’s the real issue. If they sell 100,000 hearing aids, and 0.1% have problems, that’s still 100 people with problems, and you know that some of those are going to end up here, and we’ll hear all about it. I wouldn’t necessarily give up on Seimens.

If your problem can be fixed in 2 seconds, it’s probably something that should be dealt with by routine maintenance on your part. Too bad he wouldn’t tell you what he did. Good luck.

Dag

Hi there

I’ve had a Siemens CIC for about 6 months. About 1 month in, I had the same problem. I was new to haring aids (still am…) and totally freaked.

In my case, it was simple. I’d had the same battery in for some time: the low-battery warning beep didn’t go on! Replacing the battery fixed it. Apart from the fact I don’t get the warning, it’s fine. Kinda like having a car with no gas gauge, but whatever.

So, the 2-second-fix may have simply been your fitter replacing the battery. If he refuses to tell you, he/she is not only a (insert multisyllabic curse-word here), he/she is also cruel, spiteful, and unfit to work in a profession that is supposed to be about service and healing.

I hope the cause for you is that simple!

Do you think is beacuse they maf… everything in china?

Hi xbulder

That’s really a tough question. I know that China has any number of high tech manufacturing operations going on, so they should be capable. If Siemens is tightly controlling the quality, there should be no reason to see higher than normal failure rates (as long as they use high quality parts). Unfortunately, the main reason companies move manufacturing off shore is to reduce cost. If Siemens is cutting corners to reduce costs, it’s entirely possible they have higher failure rates, but as long as too many customers don’t walk away, and the added repairs don’t exceed the savings, they’d still be happy. There is no way Siemens would release that information, so all we can do is guess. I’d guess that yes, they do have higher failure rates. My 2 cents.

Dag