Siemens Binax vs. Phonak Audeo

I have been wearing Phonak Audeo Q90’s for the past year and a half and I’ve never been satisfied with them. I have had many adjustment sessions with two audiologists and even resorted to trying self-programming. I’m beginning to think that my problems might have a lot to do with auditory processing.
I have been reading where members say they were impressed with the speech-in-noise capabilities of the Siemens Binax and now Costco’s version, the Rexton Trax 42. Speech-in-speech-noise comprehension is, by far, my main issue.
My health insurance will allow me to buy a new set of HA’s at TruHearing’s discounted price in 2016 but I am considering trialing the Trax 42’s now. The Trax 42’s would cost about the same as new HA’s through TruHearing and TruHearing does not offer the Siemens brand.
However I was very disheartened reading about mjd2k’s disappointing experience with the Trax’s speech-in-noise performance. So I wanted to ask the forum members: Has anyone else switched from recent-vintage Phonaks (Quest or Venture platforms) to Siemens Binax or Rexton Trax? Did you experience a “Eureka” moment compared to the Phonaks when you tried out the Binax/Trax HA’s in a noisy bar/restaurant situation? Thank you.

Well, I am wearing KS6 and what you complain about is similar. I guess you can call it a flaw. Another view might be that the automatic programs are as good in noise as a programming change biased against noise.

Ziploc,

there is no hearing aid in the world that can significantly reduce noise when you wear open domes. How should that work? It can only reduce the amplification of the noise.

As for speech in speech noise: The aid must have a chance to identify the speaker. So usually, it will focus on the loudest speaker. If you want to understand a caller from the crowd, but there is a conversation going on more nearby, the aid has no chance. You will have to experiment with directionality to be able to focus on the caller yourself.

The siemens does great when you are at a party and are having a one-on-one conversation. Then the siemens will pick out that one person very nicely and reduce the other talkers - or, reduce the amplification of the other talkers. If there are several loud talkers, no aid has a chance.

With my bernafon-aid I have no such nifty speech-in-speech-noise algorithms. But: I have the “true directionality” feature of the microfones, that gives a light focus to the front for high frequencies, this simulates the directionality of the real ear. This is enough for me for a pretty good understanding of speech-in-speech-noise, the filtering is done by my brain. But a loud bar/restaurant is too loud for me.

Ziplock, I have since discovered my operation and understanding of the speech in noise was not correct.

Since I did more research I now know I need to directly face the speaker and they need to be speaking directly to me.

I went to a coffee shop recently and they worked awesome now that I’m using them properly.

There was a lady that I have never heard a single word she said. If I looked at her and her at me, they worked great. However if she turned much to talk to others, well, that wasnt so good.

Huge improvement when used as they were designed.

mjd2k, is there a program available on the Trax that is supposed to identify the loudest speaker in a group conversation (the speaker who is actually speaking at the present moment), and cause the hearing aids to home in on that speaker and orient the mics so that that particular speaker’s voice is accentuated? If so, does it work? There is such a program in the Phonak Audeo Q90’s that I use, called ZoomControl, except that it doesn’t work very effectively, in my opinion.
My dream is for my aids to effectively and accurately seek out the current speaker in a multi-person conversation in an environment full of background speech and accentuate that person’s voice. The aids would have to be constantly changing the microphones’ orientation. Undoubtedly that would need massive processing power that would quickly drain the battery. But if I could get EFFECTIVE performance like that I would gladly change my batteries every day. Thank you so much for all your great input.

Hi,

with the siemens pure 7 bx, the standard-program does this. I had both the 7 bx and the phonak v90 in my trial, and while the v90 quite often focussed on something wrong (a car, for instance), the siemens never failed.

Here is the advertisement:

But be warned: For me, the siemens didn´t work because of really bad distortion with loud music.

Hi ziplock. I have discovered that the lock definitely blocks out the noise and locks into the speaker (on manual) but they do not amplify the desired speakers voice. That would be nice. There is a whole other thread you may want to follow also at http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?18367-Costco-Rexton-Trax-42-(Product-Information)