SIE/RITE or custom occluded mold?

At a Starky demo the factory rep recommended Starkey Series 11 RITE (receiver in the ear) for my wife. I am assuming that SIE and RITE are the same thing.
America Hears (AH) says she is not a candidate for open fit and not a candidate for RITE. Meaning that she should stay with occluded custom molds because of the 60-65 loss in low frequencies.

I mentioned that she did like the sound with the Stakey RITE and AH suggested that was because it was just a short office visit demo in a quiet environment.

Is the Starkey rep right? Or is AH right?

Wife L R
250 45 55
500 50 65
750 50 60
1000 50 55
1500 45 65
2000 40 60
3000 40 60
4000 40 50
6000 50 55

SIE is speaker in ear. RITE is Receiver in the ear. RIC is Receiver in canal. All the same.

I guess my answer splits the difference. AH is right. But, if the Starkey aid does what she needs with regard to understanding speech and she’s comfortable wearing it, I’d take that over ones that perfectly match the loss and sit in a drawer.

But I still agree with AH that that’s a lot of low frequency loss, and you won’t get nearly the amplification needed for that loss in an open or tulip dome fitting. There may be other aids from other manufacturers where she could do a RITE with a custom power dome and fit the loss, but she would have to adjust to the occlusion that causes.

I am still confused. I found an article that discusses this subject. Here’s a Link and what the article says:

The Fitting Range
The fitting range for a speaker-in-the-ear hearing aid for a wide range hearing loss would be a maximum of 60dB in the low frequencies and 80dB in the high frequencies. Those with more severe hearing loss and that require this greater gain can still take advantage of a speaker-in-the-ear hearing aid with the addition of a dome tip ear plug, or custom earmold, which other open fit hearing aids may not allow. While other users may not require an earmold with this type of hearing aid, the addition of one can help to meet the increased gain requirement of those with severe hearing loss with less risk of feedback.

So it seems this guy is saying that she IS a candidate for RITE along with with a dome tip or a custom earmold. And who is the author of the article? Henry Smith, the founder of America Hears. I don’t get it! AH says she is NOT a candidate for RITE.

What he says in a general article like that is one thing, but the aids they offer do not appear to fit the loss. The problem is on the website they make no distinction in the fitting range from open to tulip to power dome, like some other manufacturers do.

But the real issue is that when you take an open fit BTE and put a custom occluding mold on it, you no longer realize the principle benefit of the open fit/RITE approach.

Okay that makes much more sense. I get it now grasshopper. :slight_smile: Thanks jay_man. That does clear up some of my (mis)understanding on this subject.

Hmmmm, I phoned Pinocchio again ( er… I mean the Starkey rep) and asked about the fitting range for SIE/RITE being a maximum of 60db in the low frequencies, and how he compensated for that maximum when he programmed my wife’s series 11 demo?

Whoa!! He couldn’t understand who I was talking to about such mis-information. And that my wife’s hearing was so personal (maybe even mysterious) as to not be compared to other another person’s hearing. And then I had to listen to analogies about doctors treating patients without even understanding the drugs they were taking, and on and on.

So when I could finally interrupt, I asked how much of a gain he could program into the Series 11 RITE. He said as high as 70db and that (since their last recent upgrade) Starkey was leading and all other HIs were trying to catch-up.

I’m just a husband trying to lookout for his sweetheart and cut through some of this hype so that she can get better HIs and a better quality of life. Whew! It’s not going to be easy.

Since I can’t get a straight answer from Starkey (or maybe I’m totally stupid and don’t understand anything) either way, I don’t think that Starkey will be one of our choices.

I found a fitting chart for the StarkeyS Series RIC 40 with open earbud (light blue), occluded earbud (dark blue), and custom occluded earmold (gray) fitting range.

I also found a fitting chart for the Phonak Audeo Yes.

Given my wife’s hearing loss the Audeo Yes seems a better fit. That is, if fitting charts are of any importance in evaluating potential HAs???
Her L R
250 45 55
500 50 65
750 50 60
1000 50 55
1500 45 65
2000 40 60
3000 40 60
4000 40 50
6000 50 55

Looks like you’re doing some good research.

We visited a new audi a couple of days ago to look at the Unitron Passport. She steered us away from the Passport and instead will soon recommend Phonak or Starkey. She didn’t explain why the Passport was not a candidate except to say that she used to fit a lot of Unitron aids, but none recently. I didn’t want to interrupt the intense presentation and pick a fight with her, so I put our interest in the Unitron Passport aside for now.

Now for the interesting part. She doesn’t think that my wife is a candidate for SIE/RITE/Open fit. She said she hopes that ppl will begin to pay attention to studies showing that a candidate for SIE/RITE/Open fit should have normal hearing below and up to the 2000 Hz frequency range.

She recommends that my wife keep her occluded custom molds. Since my wife is comfortable with occluded molds we intend to give this a trial.

Test-1 L R / Test-2 LR
250 45 55 / 55 60
500 50 65 / 60 55
750 50 60
1000 50 55 / 65 60
1500 45 65
2000 35 60 / 45 70
3000 35 60 / 40 60
4000 40 50 / 45 50
6000 50 55 / 40 55
WRS 84% at 80db / 88% at 75db