Should my dad get a 2nd opinion?

Medical question: My 95-year-old dad hates his hearing aid. Very simply, he wears it but still has a hard time understanding speech (and he can’t hear melodies anymore, although he can hear that music is playing). The ear doctor tells him that the problem is not with the hearing aid, but with the way his brain processes auditory input, and that no hearing aid will fix this. My father, who trusts nobody, is skeptical. I don’t know whether to tell him to get a second opinion or accept his fate. He doesn’t have dementia. What do you think?

@hearingtracker1

We would really need his audiogram what what hearing aids he has to be able to give you an accurate answer.

1 Like

Is the “ear doctor” an Otolaryngologist (ENT)? If not, he needs to be seen by one. As @Zebras states, without an audiogram any answer you might get would be a guess at best…

1 Like

I’ll just share my father-in-law’s experience. He got hearing aids late in the game. He didn’t like all the loud noises so he only wore them when he was around people and complained they didn’t help. He was likely right. People need to start wearing hearing aids early in their loss so the brain retains the ability to make sense of sounds. Most useful bit of information that might suggest how useful hearing aids could be would be word recognition scores.

1 Like

Hello ,

I’m an audiologist myself and would recommend you to get a 2nd opinion yes.

The hearing aid should adapt to the patient and not the other way around ! There is no interface to connect to the brain and adjust it, when there are a lots of controls in the HA software.

If he still has the will to he should consult another one.

Good luck to you and your father.

Samuel
www.otomerge.com
otomerge@outlook.com