Should I be skeptical about rechargeable hearing aid?

Phonaks position, if I have it right, is that some of the new features, and some planned for the future, actually require the extra power that the rechargeable batteries have.

@Psych1 - Then engineer batteries and battery life to accommodate the users who bought into your products. Don’t just drop 'em like a bad habit. Otherwise, like I did, they’ll drop Phonak.

Yes, many many many times.

1 Like

Can you point me to the thread that actually answers these questions and doesn’t just say carry an extra battery pack everywhere and live without HAs for however long they need to charge? So far I have not seen anyone answer these types of questions in good faith or address the other comments made. I have gone through this whole thread and find the level of defensiveness from the rechargeable crowd baffling.

Why is it so hard to admit rechargeables are not going to work for everyone and the fact that non-rechargeable options keep shrinking is a very real concern for some of us?

2 Likes

That’ll show 'em! I fired fast food likewise. Rarely fast, frequently lineups and not even food really. The whole industry should collapse any day now and I’ll be cackling.

3 Likes

Heather, yes, your loss requires a BTE that only functions with replaceable batteries. (and by the way, I’m and ex-downhill and then nordic/backcountry skier. Have fun!) Umm, my original point is that most folks don’t have the same requirements as you. And so to dismiss rechargeables as a whole because they don’t work for your circumstances misses the point. For many, me included, they’re appropriate and welcome.
I used to backpack a lot in the Sierra. I’[d leave my HAs at home: too much sweat and dust and possibility of losing one. I’m blessed with good enough hearing to be able to do that. However, if I did bring aids, my three ounce portable recharger holds three full charges that will last for two days each (no streaming in the back country!). So, potentially, that’s ten days of battery life. I rarely hiked for more than six or seven days, so this would have worked.

1 Like

It isn’t hard to admit at all, and it’s done all the time. Facts do not require “good faith.” I’ll go even farther. You don’t need a good reason to take either position. Pros and cons for each, make your choice, no need to defend it. But on a practical note, take account of the time you invest in your position. Because at some point the solutions are easier and take less time than enumerating the problem.

1 Like

What about the scenario where one has to leave in a hurry and their aids aren’t charged? I think that thread got locked before an answer to the question was posted. There were plenty of suggestions of juice boxes, chargers with built-in battery, etc. But they didn’t answer the question.

1 Like

Some might say to plan ahead, but clearly the real answer is that the problem is entirely insurmountable. Case closed, you’ve finally done it!

This situation is greatly facilitated by having a charger with a built in battery pack. One looks for opportunities to charge. One doesn’t need 3 hours as often quoted. 10 minutes will get you at least 30 minutes of use. If one is leaving in a hurry, perhaps one is driving somewhere? Use the drive as an opportunity to charge. You ridiculed me earlier for suggesting pencil and paper, but what do you do if your spare batteries (that have perhaps been sitting in your car or pocket for ages) fail, or God forbid, the hearing aids fail (it can happen at opportune times)? To me you look for other methods to communicate.

2 Likes

@jeffrey thanks for your perspective and I agree that rechargeables should not be discounted out of hand - they do seem to be beneficial to many but the recent comments I was responding to were not about the general benefits but snarky responses to specific questions about scenarios that seemed to treat @mtjarrett as making up difficult use cases or too lazy to deal with the “hassle”. Since I’ve had the same questions I was curious if there were solutions such as hot swapping batteries but instead we just get told to plan better - I guess I’ll make sure to get the bear to schedule the midnight raid on the camp ahead of time next time :smile:

Honestly I suspect this won’t ever be an issue for me as given my loss the manufacturers are going to be stuck with batteries for a long time baring some major leaps in power supplies but I do feel for those that are seeing their options shrink.

Personally I would love having some waterproof hearing aids and would consider a second rechargeable set just for that reason alone!

2 Likes

This has been addressed multiple times, mainly by me. Assuming you mean power in the strict sense, it’s an accepted fact that zinc-air batteries’ power output has been inadequate in some circumstances. But when implant manufacturers needed more power than regular 675 batteries could put out, the battery manufacturers came up with a version of 675’s with higher power output. The same could presumably be done for 13’s and 312’s.

Rechargeable batteries have higher voltage than disposables, so I’ll mention that too. I think the inadequate-voltage hypothesis originated with Phonak including an accelerometer only in rechargeable Paradise aids, not conventional ones. A friend of mine who designs consumer electronics helped me determine that accelerometers running on zinc-air voltage are available, and they draw very, very, very little amperage.

1 Like

For peace of mind I must remember not to open threads that have the word “rechargeable” in the Subject heading :grinning:

3 Likes

Long before I got hearing aids, I knew that many people found hearing aid batteries to be a hassle. So it’s no surprise that rechargeables are popular. But when some of us point out things that conventional batteries do better, we get an argument instead of acknowledgment.

4 Likes

A couple years ago I spent a month roughing it during a wildfire. Was charging devices with various vehicles, and eventually lost one aid. Aids weren’t practical in the bush anyway. So I’d point to my ears when folks were trying to communicate. Which made them yell which usually worked. Came across one of those guys recently and noticed he was still talking really loud. Pretty funny. Anyway during the fire I also lost my voice for a week and had to resort to pantomime and texts. Got by just fine. Can’t remember now if I used pencil and paper but probably did because I always carry those.

3 Likes

You seem to have taken offense at my use of the word hassle. There are lots of things that I don’t do because they’re too much hassle and I don’t think I’m lazy. What bothers me as that some seem to see problems as insurmountable. I also don’t think the hearing aid companies owe me anything.

As mentioned before, I wear hearing aids with disposable batteries. I acknowledge their advantages. I just don’t think the challenges with rechargeables are insurmountable.
I also mentioned in another post where some of us were discussing how long these “discussions” about rechargeables go on and on that my thought was that the “disposable crowd” wasn’t feeling heard.

2 Likes

Thank you @Heather_R

Also, I just started a thread about best late model, disposable battery options. I’d love to hear your and anyone else’s thoughts there. Because, though others may not believe it, I really do have to make a decision here.

1 Like

In the backcountry it’s always going to be safer and more reliable to have HAs with batteries. I’ve also had a few scenarios with ER visits and emergency vets where I was glad I have batteries stashed everywhere and there is no way I would have thought to grab a charger (and in a few cases it wouldn’t have even been possible).

Now if I could have HA chargers in every car and scattered around the house like I do for my phone and could charge while wearing or hot swap them and I could pick up extra chargers at the gas station in the event it broke or got lost that would be pretty cool and I might change my tune :smile:

Of course in extreme cases where the HAs are entirely broken or lost we will find work arounds but why set yourself up for that scenario when you can avoid it? If you have a lifestyle that works with rechargeables that’s great but that is not the case for all of us.

4 Likes

In my case, my lifestyle along with my hearing will not work with rechargeables. I have zero usable hearing without HAs, so I need the instant hearing that comes with disposable batteries. Absolutely nobody at Phonak thought to consider this scenario. They only thought about those that have usable hearing and decided to drop us.

3 Likes