Should I be skeptical about rechargeable hearing aid?

Very mildly, but i haven’t noticed it in a long time. Or should I say I don’t pay attention to it.

2 Likes

Yeah Chuck, thank you… Dyslexia is no big deal nowadays :grin: it probably just means, you will be exceptionally good at something… Unlike you, I can’t shrug it off, I wish I could, it’s a legacy from my school days, when some so called teachers, would take great delight in embarrassing me in front of the whole class, telling them all how stupid & thick I was… Thankfully those days are gone :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Hmmm…My mics are BTE in my Signia aids–are we speaking the same tech language here? I have BTE aids with a power receiver in my right ear–I don’t know if it’s SP or UP. But it’s definitely a power receiver, as opposed to the one in my left ear. A new audi noticed the difference immedieately just listening to the chimes. My mics are in the body of the aids, worn behind the ear.

My providers know my chart from over decades. They wouldn’t have sold me an underpowered aid. Mine are rechargeable.

What I consider “real” BTEs have the receiver in the aid and have a tube (not a wire) going to a custom mold in the ear. RICs are in the style of BTE aid, but are typically called RICs and not BTEs. Look at the fitting curves for a Phonak Naida UP aid compared to an Audeo with a UP receiver. The Naida is the aid for people with truly profound losses. In short, no I don’t think we are speaking the same language. If you want to suggest different ways to refer to the two types of hearing aids, I’m game but I used what I most commonly see used.

1 Like

Ok thanks for that clarification! My aids are WORN BTEs and have a wire coming from the aid into the reciever in my ears. I have custom molds in both ears. The receiver in my right ear is a far more powerful one to match the loss in that ear. That’s all I know.

I’m guessing that a receiver in the body of aid worn behind the ear requires more battery power than a rechargeable can provide? Is that what’s being said?

You have RIC (receiver in the canal) The BTE (Behind the ear) is different, most of the manufacturers use this terminology to discriminate between the two, you also get ITE ( In the ear)and CIC ( complete in canal) they both fit into the ear but are different.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge there is no UP BTE (with tubes) that is rechargeable. All use 675 size zinc air batteries.

4 Likes

I understand that I watch my cousin suffer with it, but for me all it has been the occasional reversing of a few numbers or latters. I noticed much more back before auto coŕection computer editing. But now that i am old enough to really think over my life i wonder if it was dyslexia or hearing loss that made it so hard for me to spell correctly.

1 Like

I forgot to say that i went without aids for the better of 25 years that i should have been wearing aids. So in reality instead of wearing aids almost 20 years i should have been wearing them close to 45 years.

2 Likes

Yeah Chuck, 25 years is a long time to go unaided, on the other side of the coin, 20 years aided, is a good thing :smile: Tis better late than never in my book! And yes, you probably did some auditory damage, but hopefully you regained some of what was lost, I know you are an avid fan of audiobooks, that will have helped greatly… I must try these audiobooks, at one time I was an avid reader, but I have never used an audiobook… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

I am definitely hooked on audio books and Amazon Fire Tablet, text to speech in the Kindle app. I finish up this year with 114 books read/listened to. There isn’t anything on TV worth watching, I am back doing color pencil coloring books. I wasn’t given a chance to have art classes in school so my grandmother taught me to love art, and always told me to use my creativity. High school and junior college was boring to me, but the Navy taught me how to study, how to research, and most importantly showed me I had a natural talent for troubleshooting.

3 Likes

I can relate. I was always told I don’t pay attention and sometimes punished when I was young. I only started wearing hearing aids when I was 30. People just made me believe that I don’t pay attention because it is hard to tell what is a normal hearing specially when you have good hearing on some frequencies, but cannot understand speech well. I still psychologically struggle with the impact of that treatment.

4 Likes

I read it somewhere. Hearing protection gear is not work. Did you find this is true?

I read a lot story about musician or those concert performer. They got hearing loss despite have hearing protection wear on.

This make me very skeptical to go loud place such as concert for 2-3 hours.

1 Like

Mami2529,
I have been to many concerts of all types including very loud rock concerts. In that situation, I normally take my aids off or mute them; I sometimes wear ear plugs in that situation to protect my hearing. For symphony concerts and non-amplified music, I put my hearing aids in MyMusic mode and enjoy the concert. The rechargeable batteries handle that situation quite well. There has never been an issue with the Oticon More1s that I use.

As for the hearing protection that performers use, my son is in that business and the performers along with a lot of tech crew wear hearing aids that get a direct feed from the audio board and block out most of the other sound, but during sound checks and at other times, they often go without it … they will undoubtedly lose their hearing acuity because of that occupational hazard.

3 Likes

Two things: 1) the batteries last a long time— even streaming and 2) if you want to be sure, pop them in the charger for a few minutes. When lithium cells are low, the first part of the charge happens fast.

2 Likes

I read most of your posts. 102 was a lot. I guess I don’t understand why this is such a heated topic. I generally sleep 7-8 hours a night and charge my Oticon’s while I’m sleeping. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. I’ve never had a problem with not having enough charge. I must be missing something. Now, on the other hand, my Dad used the replaceable battery HA’s and he would get so frustrated trying to change the batteries he’d just not use his HA’s.

I’ve only had my Oticon Mores for 1 1/2 years so maybe I have not experienced the realities some of you have. IDK??? I must be missing something??? To me, rechargeable is such a no brainer. Maybe that’s my problem… no brain. LOL

3 Likes

Long ago, I was a professional sound recordist. The team always avoided rechargeable recorder and microphone batteries when we had the choice. Just as with a hearing aid, it’s no good having to respond to a sudden shut down, nor is a one or two hour warning adequate anywhere.

1 Like

Ahh, “long ago” things were different then. Batteries weren’t as good and none of this mattered because I could hear fine. But these days I work and travel and as long as i don’t forget my charger or forget to recharge all is well.

3 Likes

1 Like

It all depends on your schedule, your travel requirements and if at the last minute you have to run to a fire or crime scene. When my VA audiologist first put me in rechargable aids I complained because I had read so many complaints about rechargable aids, but that was z-power batteries at the time. I have to say this o am retired I spend countless hours on the phone with veterans that just need someone to talk to. I volunteer at my local VA clinic and with the local churches and charities that help the homeless, mostly displaced veterans. I am extremely fortunate to be a disabled veteran and get my aids from the VA, I am also fortunate to live in an community that is mostly retired military or government employees. We as a community take care of our own and we reach out to the homeless in the nearby communities.
I have the Oticon Real1 as my primary aids and now the More1 as my backup aids. I have recently worked with a homeless person and with my audiologist to give my old OPNS1 aids a new life with the homeless person that we managed to find family and a home for at Christmas time. He is so happy to have my old OPNS1 aids, a group of us veterans are working to get his VA benefits instated.

Most importantly my aids rechargable have not let me down. And have even been good enough to get a second chance to someone else in need.

3 Likes