Sharp Ski-Slope hearing loss. Fitting Options?

As my username and the attached audiogram implies, I have a pretty sharp ski-slope hearing loss which has proven difficult to fit with traditional hearing aids in the past. Right now I am in a trial period for a pair of Naida V’s with SoundRecover, but so far I haven’t noticed significant improvement in “difficult” situations like group settings or speech perception on the radio/TV.

I’m wondering if any of the audis or hearing-aid dispensers on here can give me some advice on which model of hearing aid to apply to this hearing loss, and also whether I should look into middle-ear implants or hybrid cochlear implants which are targeted for people with hearing loss similar to mine. I have heard good things about the Esteem; the hybrid cochlear implants not so much.

My speech discrimination scores are 50-60% unaided at 85 dB, and I am usually able to communicate on the phone with max volume and a good connection.

The professional you’re working with should have counseled you on realistic expectations, especially with your loss.

How long have you been wearing hearing aids? If you haven’t been, auditory deprivation (Google the term for more information on it) may have played a significant role in why you’re struggling so much with hearing aids today. Although you can’t go back in time and tell the younger you to get into hearing aids sooner, bringing this up may benefit other readers who are unaware of the risk of “putting off” hearing aids.

I don’t know very much about your needs, lifestyle, or other things that I like to factor in, but going off just your test results, the model of hearing aid you’re trialing makes sense.

Have you had some adjustments for the areas where you are not hearing well? It took about 10 adjustments, total, to get mine really dialed in.

your audio-gram isn’t far off of mine… except mine disappears at the end instead bouncing up. I had worn Rextons RICs for a couple of years w/hp receivers and molds. I’ve been wearing Siemens Pure Carets w/HP receivers and molds for about 3 months. (after trialing both the phonak nadia and starkey wi) couldn’t be happier. I tried a bunch of their programs but ended up just leaving their ‘normal/auto’ program in slot 1, bt phone in slot 2 and minitek in slot 3.

any chance you are a veteran?

Looks a lot like mine too, except the bottom just goes straight across no upturn. I have an appointment monday to demo bernafon Chronos at costco, but the audiologist I’ve already seen recommend Phonaks, I have no idea what model though, all I know is they took the same size 13 battery my Oticon Tego Pro I wear now has.

^ Yeah, I went to Costco to look at open-fit devices and they said that I would be best-served with plugged, high-powered aids with sound compression. I appreciated the fact that they didn’t try to sell me on their products.

I didn’t understand the concept of auditory deprivation when I was diagnosed 25 years ago. Back then, my hearing bottomed out at maybe 75-80 dB instead of 110. Obviously, if I could’ve done it over again I would’ve worn aids over the last 25 years. But the old analogs never gave me benefit to outweigh the annoyance of plugged ear canals, feedback and distortion.

I am giving these Naida V SP’s an honest try over the next 2 months, but if they don’t work, I’m looking seriously at a middle-ear device. From the reading I’ve done, products like the Esteem and the Ototronix Maxum have been successful in treating “hard-to-fit” patients like myself, because they can directly drive the ossicular chain and provide significant gain in the middle pitches without the issues associated with sound processing and amplification.

I don’t have any real experience with middle-ear-devices, but it is worth noting:
Hearing Aid: Treatment can be reversed easily (remove the aid from your ear), troubleshooting, repair, and upgrading involves something that isn’t part of your body and can easily be shipped off to a lab.
Implantable device: Process can’t be fully reversed and troubleshooting/repair/upgrading is likely to get a little more involved!

This isn’t to say you shouldn’t go ahead with what you’re listing as your plan B, just that due diligence is a little more important here than it is prior to a risk-free hearing aid trial!