Self Fitting Resound Quattro 9s

Hi All,

I am selfprogramming my resounds on the Noahlink Wireless and Resound Smartfit. So, I’ve entered in my Audiogram, went to AutoFit, calibrated. I am using Audiogram+

My question is. Is the aim to get the three lines aligned with the dotted lines? Do the dotted lines (or target) mean that from the information on my Audiogram, the software thinks this is where we need to be? Therefore I just match the lines.

Presumably once done then you just fine tune. Am I on the right track. I’ve completed this session, and me Right Side sounds a little quiet.

I’ve attached screenshots.
Thanks M

1 Like

The dotted lines are your prescribed fit according to the fitting algorithm (and user experience profile) that you’ve chosen at 50, 65, and 80 dB SPL of input. The diamonds of red or blue color are your actual fit according to the program mode that you’ve chosen. For various reasons the program mode doesn’t output the prescribed fit. So by further adjusting the gain for a particular program you are undoing the compression ratio that ReSound has decided works best for that environmental situation.

You’ve left yourself as “First-Time User.” If you’re like me, you might want to try switching to “Experienced User (Nonlinear).” That will bring the actual output for any program closer to your prescribed fit (First-Time User is deliberately underfit for “comfort” vs. loud sounds). You might also want to try switching to different fitting algorithms. I prefer NAL-NL2 over ReSound’s proprietary Audiogram+, based on NAL1. Your low-frequency hearing is bad enough, too, that you might begin to benefit by having a more occlusive fit, including using custom fit molds rather than domes. The feedback analysis (light gray shape descending from above), done via DFS Ultra II, shows you must be using a significantly open fit and thus have the potential if you go up too much in amplification to encounter squealing feedback.

The link describes how by temporarily removing some programs you can substitute other programs of your own creation to compare at the same time in the Smart 3D program what, say, the All-Around program sounds like when fit with First-Time User vs. Experienced(Nonlinear) or Audiogram+ vs. NAL-NL2.

In the attached fits for me below, there were no gain adjustments other than prescribed directly by program experience profile and fitting algorithm. Note the difference in feedback potential from the more occlusive fit shown on the right. I see that you are using HP receivers, so maybe you’ve already maxxed out on the potential for reducing feedback and are wearing an occlusive fit? My receivers are MP.

The ReSound Audiology Online courses helped me learn alot about fitting. You can audit them and others on the Audiology Online site for free (the Search filter is very powerful).

Both fits shown below are for ReSound’s All-Around program.

First-Time User, Audiogram+, Open Domes      Experienced User(Nonlinear), NAL-NL2, Occlusive                                                                                 Custom ReSound molds(Select-a-Vent)
image image

When you say the Noah WL, I assume you are referring to Noahlink Wireless and not Noah4/Noah software and not the obsolete NOAHlink. In order to avoid confusion over names see the following link for the correct name of this device;
Noah, NOAHlink, or Noahlink Wireless .

Thanks for this… I am using Powerdomes (Medium) and the receiver is a 2 HP, does that make any different in terms of what has already been mentioned? I’ll go and try the setting as suggested - thanks all, very grateful.

Apologies, have corrected this :slight_smile:

Ok, All, I have made the adjustments…

1. Its a bit tinny on the upper ranges - also sounds like a mic right up to the mouth? Whisby - Is this a job for sound shaper?
  2. It sometimes feels like sound is swishing from right to left (Volumes being adjusted) … it is the Directional Mix & Time Constraints that’s managing this?

or - should I wait to get used to it?
Sound much better though - thanks all

Screenshots Attached.

Great if you’ve found settings that further improve your ability to hear with your HA’s. You don’t have to copy my recommendations. Maybe you’d like the Audiogram+ fitting algorithm applied to the Experienced (Nonlinear) user profile better, etc. You can adjust the gain at specific frequencies if you want. I like to use the ReSound Smart 3D app to temporarily twiddle with bass, mid-tone, and treble frequencies or turn the volume up or down. But watching Audiology Online courses on the Quattro’s is the best way to learn about the functionality of both the devices and the Smart Fit software, what you can do if you think the high frequencies are too tinny, etc.

For me, the most important thing is how whatever settings I use affect speech intelligibility, especially speech-in-noise. Don’t use more than CONSIDERABLE noise reduction in speech environments. Don’t apply wind reduction when you don’t need it. Both forms of noise reduction can reduce speech intelligibility if applied too strongly. You might want to try the bistro or lunch conversations at 0 dB above background noise in the Smart Fit Media Player applet or download the ReSound (tinnitus) Relief app to try the speech-in-noise test available in that app to see how you do at various settings. With the settings I’m using the Relief app scores me as “no hearing loss” when wearing my Quattro’s. How well you can do depends on the state of your sensorineural hearing loss for which your Word Recognition Score may be a good indicator.

PVC doesn’t recommend it but if I want to try something totally different, I actually create a new user (patient) profile in Smart Fit and switch to that profile to experiment wildly - that way I don’t have to mess up my canonical user profile and backtrack and erase settings that I don’t like, etc. I find the Smart Fit app lacking in ease of finding and documenting particular types of settings, e.g., there is no Search function on notes, for example. So if I decide a particular experiment, e.g., trying the DSL5-Adult fitting algorithm, just isn’t what I like, it’s easy just to go back to the last settings I had for my canonical profile and delete the patient profile for my DSL5 experiment (unless I want to keep it around to document what I liked, didn’t like, etc).

The following link has further discussion by me of the Media Player in Smart Fit and the Relief app speech-in-noise test:

Did you download the Smart Fit software on UK site I have US version and it only shows 10 gain handles I see yours has 17 available my Resound One has 17 but US software does not access them If so can you provide a link ?

Can’t you uninstall your version and reinstall for UK, just change the country when installing should do it, its hard to believe that different countries would have something like this, although i remember this was mentioned by another forum member a while back, that different countries had some minor modifications/differences, but gain handles adjustments wouldn’t be "minor " you would think.

well i have not tried that but in others say they have installed all countries one at a time and still doesn’t present the 17 that you show. I do see here that they are presenting two versions
US and EU making me think they are some how different ReSound SmartFit 1.8.0.489 EU – HIMSA

That’s good news indeed then, let us know if it works for you, hopefully you won’t need the UK HA stock as well ; )

I just found this thread. It is very informative. I recently was fitted with a Jabra Enhance Pro. Using Smart Fit and NoahLink Wireless I compared First Time User combined with Audiogram+, NAL-NL1, and NAL-NL2. I found that Audiogram+ really cuts out the highs giving a very dull sound compared to the others. NAL-NL1 was midway between Audiogram+ and NAL-NL2 with regards to highs. Switching from First Time User to Experienced Non Linear, boosted the highs on all three but to a much lesser degree on Audiogram+. I wasn’t able to tolerate it. I’ve been wearing an aid for only a month. My current settings are First Time User, NAL-NL2, and 100% gain. My All Around directionality is set to M&RIE rather than omnidirectional because it was just too tinny on Omnidirectional. It sounds very natural with improved highs and speech recognition. I no longer have to ask people on the street to repeat themselves or just smile and keep walking. Jim_Lewis and Tenkan your posts have been very helpful.

1 Like