Seeking video ideas of daily experiences as HOH

Hi, there

I’m doing a short video showing the daily experiences of HOH people. And I would love to hear your thoughts. Hearing people have lots of false assumptions about us. I often receive “compliments” like “you don’t sound like a deaf,” or “it’s amazing you also speak English(I’m Chinese).” - The implications are: I’m deaf and I’m not supposed to be bilingual…anyway, you get it, cuz you all get this a lot.

The video is simple: a few scenes showing what’s it like to be HOH. Cliché, but you can be rest assured that it won’t be a tear-jerker. It’s not about how hard/difficult/sad our life is, just how different we live it: sometimes frustrating, sometimes naughty.

For example, I used to be very frustrated when I was lining to get on the plane. I could never figure out which group is boarding. So I always waited till the last. (I use past tense here because I’m now a bilateral CI user and I don’t have much problem at the airport now.)

But I do play the HOH card now and then: when declining to answer the teachers’ questions in class: “sorry, I can’t hear ya(innocent face);” when the conversation is boring, I’d flip my hair, turn off my HAs/CIs, and just keep nodding/laughing, while my mind is drifting away(serious face); when having a fight with my bf, I’d take my HAs/CIs off and drop them in a very dramatic manner to piss him off. - Drop the mic(sassy face).

I’d love to hear the nuances in your life as a HOH person. Coping skills are lovely as well.

Xinke.

I am quite new to wearing HAs. Suspect that my hearing loss has been going on for a while.

I find I like the HAs out often as the noise from “everything” is too much and I sometimes prefer it quieter. This may change, as my brain gets more used to filtering out the unnecessary noises, but that’s what it is right now.