Seeking personal info re Sieman's Centra Life

My wife recently had an audogram which shows about 20 db loss in both ears in the lower frequencies and falling off to more than 40db at 2000Hz and on to 70db loss by 4000Hz. She has never worn aids and the audiologist is recommending Sieman’s Centra Life with an open fit. In perusing the forum I don’t see any user evaluations of this aid. I’d appreciate any personal observations regarding these aids before we lay out about $4000.00 Also, does that sound like a reasonable price? Not sure how these aids fit in with quality products/newest technology other than whats on their web site.

this should be good aids,
you could try also
phonak audeo
GN pulse or dot
Oticon Delta

I have worn the Centra Life for over a year and am very pleased with them. They were a big improvement over my previous hearing aids. One of the reasons that I purchased them was to have a remote to control the volume since I was always adjusting the volume in my previous aids and expected that I would have to always do that. However, I find that once I set the Centra Life, I never have to adjust the volume and quit carrying the remote months ago.

Thank you for your input. It makes us more comfortable knowing we are selecting a good aid.

I don’t know much about them except $4,000 for a pair sounds OK. My local Siemens dealer wanted more like $5,200 although that may have been for Centra Active.

Maybe someone else can comment on that price.

I’d really like to try the Centra’s but I’m opposed to spending more than $4,000 on any hearing aid.

Am new to hearing aid world. Have had audiogram showing high frequency loss and Siemens Centra Life was recommended at $4,000 for the pair. Found I could get them on line for considerably less but not sure about need for adjustments. Are these aids so automated that buying them through a local audiologist is an unnecessary expense or do most all aids need fine tuning and program adjustments to function properly?

With most modern hearing aids, you need to go through a set up procedure that has to be done when the aids are in the ear. This can include feedback management set up and real ear measurement depending on the features of your hearing aids. Some aids even have a self check feature.

None of this can be done without sitting in front of a hearing professional.

So by getting them online, you miss out on this. You also miss out on the one on one service of sitting and talking to a professional and having adjustments made to fine tune the devices to your specific requirements.

If you buy them online you are going to have a hard time finding someone willing to adjust them. None of the major manufacturers recommend online sales.

So I’m not a fan of the online purchase. The up front saving sounds good, but when you buy from a professional you are generally getting free adjustments for life (or at least you should). This service has a value, if your professional is a good competent person.

These days $4,000 for a set of good digital aids is quite reasonable.

Just one other thought. Some companies offer open fit devices that are all in the ear as opposed to on or behind the ear. I didn’t see this mentioned on the Siemens web site.

You can see my comments about this in this thread:

I’ve been wearing aids for 6 years, and have bought them locally, as well as online, with good success. For first time wearers I think I’d err on the side of buying from a local audiologist. My next choice would be America Hears, provided you have a personal computer at home with fast internet access, and would be comfortable using it to download and program aids, if necessary.

http://www.americahears.com

As an experienced user, when I bought the GN Resound dot 30s a couple of weeks ago from precisehearing.com, I had a list of 10 questions for them before buying. Six years ago as a new user, I wouldn’t have had a clue what questions to ask. Several of these questions related to exactly what ZCT mentioned in his post - how do they handle certain programming considerations when the patient isn’t in front of them with the aids in their ears as they’re being programmed. The dialog I had with them as an experienced wearer helped them and me, and so far, I’m happy with my decision.

I also have another big advantage - other aids that work just fine, if I do need to send these back for re-programming, and a local audie who’d likely be okay with reprogramming these for me for a fee. Without that safety net, I’d lean toward the local audie route for the first purchase.

centra is a good instrument, word of advice- get local help

My wife, Anna Bee, and I appreciate all your inputs. We’re convinced that we’ll use an audiologist, especially for her first set of HAs.

My story demonstrating why one should go through an audiologist rather than purchase on-line:

I knew even before going to an audiologist what my audiogram was because we are tested at work every year. I put off the expense as long as I could but my hearing loss had started to affect my job performance. I had done a lot of research on-line and went into the audiologist appointment having decided I was going to ask for the ReSound Dot 20 or Oticon Delta 4000. She said she’d give me anything I wanted but that she primarily dealt with Siemens and preferred dispensing their products. She fitted me with the Cielo Lifes for $3,600.

After two weeks I returned complaining that they just didn’t “feel” right. It always seemed that the left ear was muffled compared to the right, and it’s my left ear that is a lot better. She did a REM, and said she didn’t see anything wrong. She lowered the gain in my right ear a little anyway, it seemed to be better in the office, and I went my merry way. A couple days later I called complaining of the same problem and she had me in the office within an hour. I told her that I determined that the aids would become unsynchronized – for some reason it ended up that the left aid would be on program 3 (noisy environment) and the right on program 1 (normal). A subsequent change would result in the left being on program 1 (normal) and the right on 2 (music), etc. She was skeptical, but I was able to prove this by changing the programs until they separated and then viewing the programs using the remote with the aids apart from one another. (If they were reasonably close they’d always read whatever the right aid’s program was.

She gave me a replacement set. Within an hour, these were doing the same thing. She asked that I bear with them (actually, as long as I didn’t change programs, things would be fine. If they did separate, opening the two battery covers would put them both on program 1.) When I returned a week later, she presented me with a set of Centra Actives, at no added cost to me. These, generally, have been fine, though they still need some fine-tuning – a question I’ll ask about in another post.

Additionally, my ear canal seems to be between two of the dome sizes offered by Siemens. The 8mm dome is too small and they always seem to work their way out – I’m forever playing with them, pushing them back in. The 10’s hurt. To alleviate this, she took impressions and is having micro-molds made at no charge.

So, would an on-line provider have been as responsive? I doubt it. Been willing to allow me to “prove” my hypothesis? Nah. Have had enough of a relationship with the manufacturer to get me a free upgrade? Doubt that, too. Taken care of my dome issue? Nope, you get what you get when buying from an internet provider.

In all, I’m positive that I’ve gotten in service far more than the difference between the on-line price and what I initially paid her. (Besides, she’s so guilty about the problems I’ve experienced that she hands me cases and batteries every time she sees me.) Call me a believer in paying for full-service.