Seeing a different audiologist after receiving new pair of aids

Hi guys, new user here,

So I’m currently trying out the Oticon Opn 3 BTE after having the Oticon Nera for the past 5 years. They work really well but my main issue seems to be my current audiologist.

I’ve had my numerous issues with him in the past but the fact that he seems very old hat and won’t budge to try any other brand (My Opn 3’s trial period runs out 9/11 before I sign on for them for good) and he doesn’t do any Real Ear Measurements which alarms me. My hearing is currently profound to severe (I don’t have my audiogram) which is why I’m going with the BTE model, and I’ve been wearing hearing aids since I was 3 years old and I’m 28 now. I wanted to try out some of the other brands like Phonak or Resound but he kept insisting that I would be regressing in terms of feature/technology wise but more amplification. All he really seems to do when I go for fittings is crank up everything across the board on the Genie 2 program.

My question is this, if I do stick with the Opn 3 BTE and I go to a different audiologist, would I run into any issues with them trying to recommend a different type? I’m sure there’s different options and I would take any other audiologist besides the one I currently have, I just want the proper care and fitting.

Thanks!

0 Likes

If you are paying for your aids and Costco is available, I would try there. They do REM. As far as new aids are concerned, I think it is worthwhile to watch the market. If you need BTE aids they seem to progress more slowly as the big demand is in the RIC market. The industry like you to think they are making a breakthrough in technology every month. Not so sure that is the case. At the end of the day it should be your choice if it is is your money.

0 Likes

Appreciate the response, fortunately my insurance covers for everything.

I actually dont have a Costco anywhere near me, Im in New York, but I am looking into a different audiologist and I’ll have to ask whether or not they’ll do REM.

0 Likes

Switching to a different audiology business is an unknown. Since there is very little in the way of standard business practice, research first before committing. If you’re sure you want to switch to a new audiology practice, I’d return the Opns and start fresh.

2 Likes

I have an Oticon Nera too! (hopefully I’ll get into their OPN BTE soon! (a different audi won’t be a problem as long as they have the skills!)

0 Likes

I purchased aids from one practice and went to a new audiologist for update and adjustment. However, because my hearing aids were only one year old (Oticon 3) the new practice refused to service them. So I went back to the old group and of course like Abdozer experienced they just turned everything up. Fast forward I continued to look around and finally found someone to help. My advice is turn in the trials and interview different audiologists there are a few out there you just have to hunt the right one down.

0 Likes

When I first found I needed HA’s the company I picked would only let me try the aid in the shopping centre for 1/2 an hour each. I told them sorry that’s not long enough, when I have never worn aids and walked out the door. I got on the phone and rang around several close audiology companies, asked questions what brands do you carry? how many weeks can I trial them for? How many brands can I trial? I eventually found a company close to home that would let me trial as many as I wanted to.

If you want to change companies, ring around find the company you want to use. I would return the pair you have, then you can start fresh at a new company.

0 Likes

Half the cost of hearing aids is professional services. If your insurance has already paid audiologist #1 for those, they may not pay audiologist #2 and you would be looking at some charges.

But so long as you are willing to pay for services, I can’t see why there would be problems moving over to a new audiologist. But I’m not super familiar with the American system, there could be some odd quirks.

REM has only been preferred practice for two decades now. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t know the severity of your hearing loss, however all manufacturers make aids that can help with even the most severe loss. It sounds like your audiologist is not quite up to speed on programming your hearing aids. You might consider returning the aids and look for a competent audiologist.
Opps, started writing earlier and just saw Neville’s post,

0 Likes

Typically the cost of ongoing services is bundled into the price of hearing aids… So my suggestion is to consider starting over if you’ve lost faith in your current audiologist. Oh and try searching for pros that do rems in our clinic finder tool.

2 Likes