Sears Hearing Center - Opinions?

I’ve been researching for awhile now, and am leaning towards the Phonak Audeo YES HA. Unfortunately, my audiologist of the last 30 years decided to retire last year, so I’ve been looking for a new one.

I just heard that Sears Hearing Center here advertised on the radio that they were having a 40% sale on all Phonak HAs - the Audeo YES prices there range between $2700-3100, and after the 40% off that would be $1620-1860…:eek:

I wonder where the gotcha is, if there is one? After all, it’s always been said that “If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.”.

Has anyone had experience with Sears Hearing? What should I be wary of?

I don’t know about you, but the hearing center in my local Sears is Miracle Ear. I realize that my center and representative was only one of hundreds, but my experience was not pleasant at all. There was only one thing on his mind, and that was doing whatever it took to convince me to buy a $5000 pair of hearing aids. Having been HoH all my life, I have reasonable knowledge about my condition, but I didn’t let on. I think the man lost function of his bladder when he saw that I had a significant hearing loss, and he was visibly excited. The outright lies this man told me were hilarious - my favorite one being that if I “don’t buy these $5000 hearing aids right away, I would be completely deaf in 6 months!!” :smiley:

Anyway, my point is, if you decide on going to a hearing aid dispenser instead of an audiologist, it’s really important to have done your research beforehand. If you know what you need, and what you prefer, stand your ground, and be prepared for quite a bit of sales pitching. Again, I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, because I know there are genuine providers out there who will put their client first. It just happens that every one I’ve been to has come off as arrogant, pushy, and deceptive - anything to make that sale. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Sears + Miracle Ear = Run away, run away fast, very fast.

From past experience:

*poor service
*would not provide a copies of my own file upon request
*better equipment/same money from an Audiologist
*Customer Service Hotline is a joke, they have no control over the independant operator’s they franchise to.
*treated more like a piece of meat then a patient.

I could go on but…I think I’ve made my point.

Yeah, that was my concern. I may still go in on Saturday and try out the Phonak Audeo YES they’ve got on sale. Was not considering the Miracle Ears.

Be sure you also tryout the Oticon Dual’s Xw before you make a commitment.

I am very happy with my purchase of the Oticon’s and my hearing loss is similar to yours.

Good luck with your decision.

I was also considering the Oticon Epoq as well - will look at (or listen to!) all of them.

I figure, after almost all of my 40 years of using HAs, I’m gonna treat my ears to something nice for their birthday.:cool:

Thanks for the advice!