Scratchy sound on right aid

I have Trax42 with custom molds with locks. Double dome and regular molds would not stay in my ears. The molds with locks have solved that…but at a price.

I’ve had some fitting issues with these custom molds (had for 3 months or so). With the round trip to Costco a ways to go, I’m not getting back there as frequently as I would like. My last visit few days ago, did help considerably. Issues still remain, I’ll work through them, but I have one nagging issue that I can’t figure out, and the HIS was kind of scratching heads on it too.

My right aid has a scratchy sound, not near as loud, but like you are rubbing the top of the aid. As if the aid is overly sensitive to any movement. The HIS thinks it is my hair, and it may be. Right now, I pulled the behind the ear part from it place, and just rested in on my ear, and it stopped. But…my hair is not really long…and it just as long on my left side, and that aid does not do it.

Anyone else encountered this?

It is very possible and quite likely it’s your hair contacting on that side in some different way. I wear glasses and I get similar scratchy sounds on just one side though that’s not a fair comparison.

You could wrap your head with something like a scarf to eliminate the hair from touching at all and see if it makes a difference, some way to eliminate the problem being the aid itself. Switch aids if you can if you have RIC wire attachment. My receiver wire can be unplugged. I can’t say yours will to. Whatever you can do to pinpoint the noise source less the aid itself.

I’ve come to just living with the noise but one thing that has helped reduce it is the use of hearing aid sweat bands for pretection. I use them 100% of the time.

Good luck troubleshoot. Let us know what you’ve descovered.

I have a similar scratching in my right aid (resound Verso’s). when i am wearing my glasses with hard plastic ends. If i do not wear the glasses it stops. Long term solution for me was the little sweat bands / socks that you can get for the aids. Sock on = no scratching BINGO

Regards Ian

I thought of those socks…but think they would stand out like a sore thumb. This 73 year old doesn’t want all those good looking gals, go …Ewwwww what’s that on your ear!

I wear glasses too, and don’t think they help this at all. I may try them. Over time you do tend to ignore these annoyances. With the last Costco visit, it did improve things a great deal. I typically give it at least 3 weeks after any adjustments to see if things like this just blend into life, and you go on.

— Updated —

I thought of those socks…but think they would stand out like a sore thumb. This 73 year old doesn’t want all those good looking gals, go …Ewwwww what’s that on your ear!

I wear glasses too, and don’t think they help this at all. I may try them. Over time you do tend to ignore these annoyances. With the last Costco visit, it did improve things a great deal. I typically give it at least 3 weeks after any adjustments to see if things like this just blend into life, and you go on.

Girls won’t care as long as you can talk to them. I like wearing mine actually. With the socks on, people tell me that it just looks like a part of my glasses. I have let my hair grow a little more around the ear which helps to hide them more but I simply don’t care that they can be seen. BTEs are far better than a wad of plastic stuffed in the ear, IMO.

I ran into that issue when trying ReSound and Widex aids. I’ve found that the problem alleviates itself more if my hair is longer than shorter. Your hair being shorter seems like it would help, but then the hair is closer and sharper near the microphones, whereas for me if my hair is longer it seems to not interact with the microphones as much.

I had a similar problem to that with the first set of Trax 42 xm’s that had a bad chip. It started out getting a scratchy sound like that from time to time, then after a couple of weeks one of them started out sounding scratchy like that and would switch to sounding like a weed wacker motor then shut down the aide. If it is a issue that has recently started it could be a chip problem developing like I went through.

No weed wacker yet, but I’ll watch for it.

— Updated —

No weed wacker yet, but I’ll watch for it.