SaviaArt vs Azure

I went to get fitted today and I’m down to these two aids…
SaviaArt or Azure
What do you all think…What have you seen as far as pro’s and con’s of each…I’m going to look at feature by feature also.
Thanks in advance for your input.
John

I demo’ed the Azure a while back, and liked the setup with one ear being set as a monitor ear and other as a focus ear, offering what GN ReSound markets as “natural directionality.” For other reasons at the time, I settled on the GN ReSound Pulse.

But I liked the natural directionality and ability to better hear sound all around me that when the dot 30s were released, I decided to try a pair. I’ve been wearing them for 30 days, and like them a lot.

I’d be partial to the Azure for that feature alone.

Azure-Dot has something call enviromental optimizer…

It is no more than a volume control - Automatic that the instrument will

tigger if the HI is in Noise only, Noise with speech, Quiet, etc ,etc

It has 7 different acoustic enviroment… It seems really really cool…

Both aids are good products from reliable companies. I have fit both successfully.

Savia Art has 20 channels, Azure has 17 bands (not a noticeable difference), they both have good feedback control and noise reduction. The main difference is Azure’s microphone configuration (one omni, one directional) and the number of automatic environmental settings. Savia has four auto programs (quiet, speech in noise, noise, and music) while Azure has 7 (quiet, soft speech, loud speech, soft speech in noise, loud speech in noise, noise, and loud noise).

Pricewise, they should be pretty similar. Ideally your audiologist would let you test drive the different models to see which you prefer, but either one is a good aid.

Azure info: http://www.resoundazure.com/index.htm

Savia info: http://www.phonak.com.au/ccau/consumer/products_au/instruments_au/digital_au/saviaartc_saviaart.htm (This is the Australian site since the US site was down when I posted this, but same info)

I would prefer an Azure any day
over the Savia…

But I will prefer Exelia over azure…

They don’t have the Exelia yet. As far as you know is it available for sale right now?

Yes it is, It should be a product comparable to Epoq, but It is my understanding it is a more expensive product… One serious drawback
is that to make the bluetooth work it uses a special battery…
This is so not Phonak…

Other than that, it has similar features to the epoq, some call it better some say about the same… It is a high end instrument expect a lot of refinements along with a very high cost… It is my understanding epoq is still cheaper…

If price is a issue get Epoq V

The company I’m getting the aids from doesn’t carry oticon. They’re a bigger company, Newport Audiology, and she said they’re just not carrying the Exelia yet. She said maybe after AAA next month.

That’s the “natural directionality” that I was referring to in my earlier post. It’s what lets me hear sounds all around me better than other setups, where I could hear everything in front of me very well, but anything behind me not so well.

Overall, I notice and appreciate the difference. I especially find it helpful in my work environment, where I face into a cube staring into a computer, with co-workers talking behind me. It also helps in parking lots as I’m making my way into or out of a store, to hear cars or noises behind me, and keeping me more aware of the surrounding environment by sound as well as my other senses.:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your report. It is always nice to hear firsthand how things are working in the real world vs. just the propaganda from the various companies. :slight_smile:

there is more than the microphone configuration…

True, but that is the central part of it. ReSound tweaks their algorithm a bit so that it’s not just a straight omni/directional fitting:

The directional processing accounts for sound reflections from the head and torso to ensure optimum directional characteristics in situ. This ensures that the directivity achieved when the device is worn on the head is equivalent to what can be measured in a laboratory setup.
    The low frequency response for the focus ear is equalized with the response for the monitor ear as part of the directional processing. Other directional systems equalize the low frequency roll-off inherent to directional processing by adding gain in the compressor, which has the effect of adding noise. If applied to an asymmetric fitting strategy, the perceptual effect of this traditional approach to low frequency equalization would result in the focus ear sounding noisier than the monitor ear, particularly in quiet situations.
    Proximity effects – another drawback of directional microphones – are eliminated as part of the ReSound Azure’s directional processing. This means that the loud or boomy quality of near-field sounds such as the wearer’s own voice and wind noise is avoided.

All I know is the Azure and dot series “natural directionality” feature works to give me hearing all around me, without compromising my ability to hear speech in all of the listening situations I face daily.:stuck_out_tongue:

I find it a compelling feature. Are there any features of the SaviaArt that make it as compelling?

Savia Art, was phonak state of the art instrument…

It had interesting features such as live learning, and Automatic program shifting capabilities…

What I do like about Phonak is the fact that as a company they have master
the remote controls. There is an extensive number of remotes controls to chooce from…

What I do like about the Azure…
The fact it has an enviromental optimizer, it give you the fitter the ability to reduce the volume of the industry depending on the enviroment…

So for example you can increase volume in quiet and also reduce volume in
speech in noise. End result, the instrument will turn itself up or down when it detect either quiet or speech in noise…

Azure also have all the bells and whistles, Life learning, datalogging…

Both are advance instruments. Expect a lof of refinements

I’ve been wearing the Azures for a couple of months now and they are really awesome. The thing that makes them so good is the sound quality (under many different conditions) and their sound reduction capabilities. This is the first aid that I’ve owned that has actually allowed me to hear in very noisy restaurants. I’ve mentioned this to my audiologist and he believes that the WARP processor on the GN Resound products is second to non and that while other aids have some really useful bells and whistles, it is all for naught if the sound processor quality isn’t there.

The other thing that I liked about the Azures (in addition to the other points made in this thread) is that it apparently has 2 processing circuits built into the unit. One processor is for open fittings and you can switch circuits if your hearing gets worse and you are required to go with the earhook adapter and a closed fit earmold. I’m using the open fit thin tubes right now but its nice to know that there is some flexibility if my hearing gets worse.

You need to pick what sounds best to you but the Azures are very good, feature laden hearing aid.

Jordan.

Wow ya’ll, thanks for the feed back. I ordered the Azures today so hopefully I’ll have them next week.

Thanks for reporting your experience, Jordan. I’m glad you and JayMan are having good experiences with the Azure/Dot aids. It is nice to know the aids are delivering the advertised benefits.

It is perhaps one of the best products from GN i have seen in a really long time since the Air…

What I do like about them is that they have taken a novel approach…

they are certainly contribuiting the field… Soon others will copy

I have Phonak Savia Arts, although I am getting new aids next week because they are no longer powerful enough for me.

I tried ReSound, not sure what model but my audie said they were comparable to the Savia Arts. I hated it personally. I have really liked the Savia Arts though. My only complaint would be when I have them on the automatic program and they change programs themselves but not to the right one. I also found that the ‘Easy Phone’ feature didn’t work and had my audie take it off. Other than that they have worked great. Now I don’t get much from them since my loss has progressed to profound but when it was moderate-severe they were great! Good luck with your new aids!

About 4 years ago when I was dealing with ear infections and drainage tubes, and looking to move from Widex Diva in the ear aids to behind the ear aids to get the electronics out of the way of drainage and potential damage, I tried a pair of then top-of-the-line Siemens Triano BTE aids, and hated them. I ended up with Widex BTE’s (duh).

I’ve since worn America Hears and GN ReSound aids, and liked all of them to one extent or another, but will never forget how much I came to hate those Trianos during the full refund trial period (thank goodness).

As a man who wears hearing aids and uses an electric shaver, I’m glad there are trial periods for both. :stuck_out_tongue: