Samsung Galaxy S21 and Bluetooth 5.2

Samsung S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra were officially announced today and available for preorder. On GSMArena, they list the Ultra with BT 5.2 but the others with BT 5. I didn’t find BT mentioned on a few other sites so I asked Samsung support. They said they all support BT 5.2 They also said they supported the LE audio standard but since it’s not official yet as far as I know, I don’t know that that’s possible. It does seem likely that they’ll be updateable at sometime.
So it seems like we have two hearing aids (Resound One and Oticon More) that have promisted compatibility with LE audio as well as one series of phones. How long it takes to happen is an open question. At this point I don’t even know if Android 11 is compatible or if we’d need to wait for a new version of Android.

3 Likes

I noticed this also. I hope it turns out that Samsung puts BT 5.2 on all of their new devices, not to mention the other prominent manufacturers.

2 Likes

They’re all powered by the Snapdragon 888 (US models anyway) so it’s probably legit. I’m still not convinced about Resound ONE and LE Audio. I’m waiting for Resound to come out and say it’s compatible.

1 Like

I thoughr @AbramBaileyAuD asked Resound and they confirmed. I think there was a recent post. Here it is: Oticon introduces Oticon More

Just ordered the s21 for my wife and have a pair of resound ones in the office. Hopefully I can test this out sometime soon… I will reach back out to resound to figure out when that will be possible!

4 Likes

What they said is All ReSound ONE devices will be Bluetooth LE 5.2 compatible with a future hearing aid software update.

BT 5.2 underpins LE Audio but is not actually LE Audio. The Resound ONE may be upgradeable to LE Audio for all I know, but I’d want that explicitly stated by Resound before I put my money down.

1 Like

Not sure where you get the idea that BT 5.2 is a function of the SoC. I looked at a teardown of the S20 Ultra on ifixit and the BT/WiFi module is a completely separate chip (Murata KM9D19075 Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Module), not made by Qualcomm, nothing to do with the SoC. The part number in the S21 won’t be the same, but I would be surprised if the architecture isn’t.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Teardown - Step 9

We’ve already established that my technical credentials are zilch, so I’m happy to be corrected. Anyway, I thought I read it in a few places. Here’s one.

“Snapdragon 888 also includes the FastConnect 6900 system that brings Wi-Fi 6E, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 5, and 802.11 a/b/g/n, along with Bluetooth 5.2.”

Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 Specifications, Features Detailed | Technology News.

1 Like

It’s a new SoC so depending on whether the S21 uses that system, it would also have BT 5.2. Phones are modular, so it may be a design decision. Let’s hope all of the S21 series has it. That would help the demand for BT 5.2 hearing aids.

Not all parts of the world will get the Snapdragon 888 in the S21 it seems. Just to confuse things a little.

1 Like

You’re referring to the Samsung Exynos SoC. It’s correct that Samsung uses Snapdragon and Exynos in different markets. Typically, the USA, China and some other markets get Snapdragon and other markets get Exynos.

i need a new phone since my phone is losing charge. I am used to the samsung phone. the newest phone is Samsung s21 5g; Samsung s21 5g plus and Samsung s21 5g ultra. the ultra specifications have bluetooth 5.2; all the others have 5.0. I did want a smaller phone and not so heavy.

I am not sure what to do but I need bluetooth and have a profound hearing loss. My hearing aid Oticon is now 10 years old best of line and I hear beautifully but no blue tooth. I do not want to wear an attachment to garment. I want it to fully stream. Does the new hearing aids only have bluetooth 5.0 and not 5.2 blue tooth

Your best chance of getting a phone now with future LE Audio support is to look for one with a Snapdragon 888 processor inside. Best if you go with a manufacturer that you trust to upgrade their product for at least the next couple of years.

I don’t think there are currently any aids for profound loss that promise future LE Audio support. @MDB?

Agree that no Super Power or Ultra Power BTEs suggest that they will offer LE audio support.

There is variety in what new hearing aids support. Resound, Oticon and Starkey support Made for iPhone and ASHA (which is for certain Android phones. Currently only Google Pixel, Samsung and OnePlus phones support it) Phonak uses standard 4.2 Bluetooth and will work with most any phone and also other devices that support Bluetooth. Signia and Widex currently support Made for iPhone.
If you want a smaller phone, I’d look at an iPhone 12 Mini or a Google Pixel 4a, 4a-5g or Pixel 5.
None of the latest S21 phones from Samsung are very compact.

I have a t mobile account. They now only offer the new phones and dont sell others through t mobile. I need a new phone since my phone while walking is losing charge too fast. SAMSUNG S7.

I was looking to prebuy to get all money extras and accessories a SAMSUNG s21 5g. I am only 5 ft with small hands. BT 5.0

This phone has a plastic back and looked flimsy.
The phone SAMSUNG S21 5g plus was much bigger same specifications had a metal back and looked sturdy. BT 5.0

I really do not know which one to buy. I really want smaller one but will it fall apart and the plus will be sturdy.

The plus seemed too big and heavy. Has better camera but I dont need and BT 5.2

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Correction. The Samsung S21 UTLRA is very heavy and has a better camera, that I don’t need and BT 5.2

Which phone should I buy. S21 5G, S21 5G PLUS, OR SAMSUNG S21 EXTRA.

THANK YOU.

I have a severe hearing loss. I am able to hear speech and communicate.
Thank you. Which phone is needed.

I don’t know which phone you mention has a plastic back. All of the S21 series have a glass back. (Edit: that’s an error. S21 does not) To directly answer your question, since you want a smaller phone, get the S21. It will stream with the latest Resound and Oticon Receiver in Canal hearing aids.

To expand. You don’t have to buy your phone from T-Mobile. You can buy an unlocked phone.
If you want a small phone, I’d highly encourage looking at the iPhone 12 mini. It is remarkably small for a modern phone. The Google Pixel 5 has a metal back, but is similar to Pixel 4A 5G which has a plastic back. All will stream from latest Resound and Oticon. For a nice small phone, my ranking would be iPhone 12 mini, Pixel 5 and Samsung S21. All are nice phones and will work with latest Resound and Oticon. None are "future proof. (I don’t think anything is)

Thank you. I have a severe hearing loss and I do hear speach and communicate having a best of line hearing aid OTICAN ten years old. $8K.

The samsung S215G smaller has a plastic back and made cheaper $800.00. I verified this on website. The others are bigger.

I have always had an adroid samsung and heard very well.
Still don’t know if small samsung S215g will fall apart and I hear well since this is a smaller phone.
Thank you.