Roger Select iN and Roger ON iN

I’ve had my Phonak Marvel M90-RTs for about 4 years now. I have also been using the Roger Select iN and have the two RogerDirect receivers (03) installed in the aids.

The Roger Select isn’t infallible, but it makes a huge difference when I’m in a noisy situation; restaurants etc. The problem I have is things like parties where people are all standing around and we move between different groups - the Select doesn’t really work in that situation.

I was wondering whether the new(ish) Roger ON iN would make a difference, as it can be used in pointing mode. Has anyone had experience with this device and is the tech any better than the Select?

Thanks.

Pointing mode can be a little awkward, but it does a good job. I’ve used in in a very reverberant church hall for after-church coffee time when everyone is chatting up a storm. No one hears well, even normal hearing people. So it is very loud, and the Roger On helps in pointing mode.

WH

1 Like

@Mike59 I am confused on why do you have the roger select iN AND 2x rogerdirect receivers 03?
My understanding is if you have a receiver (serial number > 1744xxxx) you don’t need the iN version!
In your case, I don’t think you need the iN version of the roger ON. (same for the select)
I could be wrong. :thinking:
Basically, you could get the roger ON version rather than the expensive roger ON iN version.
For the usefulness of the ON compared to the select, you could check @kevels55 posts where he has written an excellent feedback, see link below:

3 Likes

@WhiteHat Thanks, WH. I think that’s what I was hoping to understand … if there’s any improvement in those sorts of situations.

@Baltazard When I bought the Marvels, they didn’t have the receivers installed. I bought the Select iN and they came with the receivers which I installed into my Marvels. But you may be correct … now that the 03 receivers are installed (in order that I can use my Select iN), maybe I now don’t need the iN version of the ON.
Can anyone else confirm this? Because here in the UK there is a huge difference in price.

Thanks for all the help so far.

1 Like

@Mike59 Check this link:

https://www.phonakpro.com/com/en/support/product-support/wireless-accessories/roger-configurator.html

1 Like

If you keep the receivers in your Aids, you can buy a normal On and it’ll work.

3 Likes

Thanks @Zebras Well the receivers won’t be taken out, so I assume the ON will work. Just one other question… do you have to “unpair” one of the devices (eg my Select) before you can use another one, or will it just detect the one that is in use?

Thanks again.

1 Like

Don’t need to unpair anything. You can have a lot of devices paired. I don’t know the limit, but two will be easy.

WH

3 Likes

@Mike59 Here is a fresh video:

4 Likes

Brilliant. Thank you so much @Baltazard

1 Like

@Mike59 You are very welcome.

1 Like

You were asking if the Roger On is better than the Select. I have both, but have used the Select very little. I often use the On in restaurant situations by placing it on the table. It does pick up everything, which can be pretty loud, and it doesn’t have directionality in table mode. But, it does help, usually, in understanding what my table mates are saying. If you use the app, you can make it directional in table mode, but the one time I tried that, I didn’t find that it actually helped. I didn’t care for the app, and deleted it. If you already have Roger receivers in your aids, you don’t need the iN version. Save your money. When I requested a Roger On from the VA, they said my Marvels weren’t compatible, and gave me Paradise aids with Roger receivers installed. I found out that my Marvels did have Roger receivers already, and use my On with them as well. Good luck with the On. I think you will like it.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, John. Appreciated.

Roger Select iN has 2 x RogerDirect 03 receivers inside the Select, you then transfer them into the hearing aids.

1 Like

@Mike59

Did you get the Roger On?

Hope you didn’t spring for a Roger On iN as you already have the receivers / licenses in your hearing aids.

A normal Roger On will now work for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice about the 03 receivers @Zebras This was also confirmed by FM Hearing No, I haven’t decided yet. I need to think whether the extra benefit over my Select will be worth the additional £600 or so. Much cheaper that the iN, but still quite expensive!
Thanks again.

@Mike59

I’ve tried both the Select and On and in my opinion, it’s only the pointing mode on the On and the App which makes them any difference. The lanyard mode and table mode, I feel sound exactly the same.

Just a side note tho, I’ve got the Phonak Partner Mic and that works well when you point it at a person.

2 Likes

I do like the roger select and I do like the roger on, but which one is better? :thinking:

5 Likes

Yes, and this is the issue … Select is fine (well, as good as it can be with my loss), but it’s the ‘party’ situation that I struggle with. Standing around in a group of a lot of people where a Select wouldn’t work. But whether I have the confidence to carry a ‘ON’ in that situation and point it at people when they speak is another matter! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Mike59

Maybe try the Partner Mic?

I bought mine for £70 with 2022 serial number on eBay.